Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Non Shorpy Web All Stars.

Since Mr. Bankhead served as a Confederate officer during the Civil Wear, I suspect that what he is wearing is actually a Confederate veteran uniform? Possibly a reunion photo?

I tried but can't quite make out the pin on his chest and no other info was provided with the photo
His pin could very well be the Southern Cross of Honor. The actual cross is behind his hand, with the pin & ribbon above.

The ribbon Tellulah is wearing says "SPONSOR". It could have been an event sponsored by the UDC.

I think the ribbon Eugenia is wearing says "The Alabama...". The word count looks like it could say ...Daughters of the Confederacy?

TPD166

One Too Many
In addition to the medal, what he's wearing appears to be grey wool with metal buttons and not styled like a regular business suit, even from that era.

Could be, Robert. That makes sense to me as all the photos are from 1917. I tried but can't quite make out the pin on his chest and no other info was provided with the photo.

It may be a reunion metal but it is not the Southern Cross of Honor. If you look at the tops of the ribbons worn by his granddaughters they have the same metal. It most likely was a UDC sponsored reunion.

0dd0118a98.jpg

In 1916, double amputee Quentin Corley was photographed driving a car with the use of his invention that enabled him to operate the wheel. What is more impressive is that he invented and patented the prosthetic arm he used as well.

Private Samuel H. Decker lost both of his arms fighting in the Civil War. It is said that he designed his own prosthetics beginning work soon after his wounds healed.

128dcd4f59.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ