Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Non Shorpy Web All Stars.

Late 19th century red snapper haul at the port of Mobile.
image.png

I've wondered if the monuments dedicated to the Buffalo soldiers will ever come down due to the atrocities against Native Americans during the Indian Wars.

I've wondered myself, HJ. The ones here, that relate to the S & A war, seem to be holding strong. I hate seeing historical monuments coming down, no matter ones affiliation. It's all part of OUR history.

The Buffalo Soldiers have a strong presence here, even though they were only here for a brief period. I've posted before about the monument and the school, Calvary Hills. . As a grade school student, my mom was a crossing guard on a four lane road, assisiting the kids who walked from their neighborhood to get to "their" school that was there, due only to segregation.

Most folks think Huntsville is relevant only because of Wernher Von Braun and NASA.

Desert dog

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've wondered myself, HJ. The ones here, that relate to the S & A war, seem to be holding strong. I hate seeing historical monuments coming down, no matter ones affiliation. It's all part of OUR history.

The Buffalo Soldiers have a strong presence here, even though they were only here for a brief period. I've posted before about the monument and the school, Calvary Hills. . As a grade school student, my mom was a crossing guard on a four lane road, assisiting the kids who walked from their neighborhood to get to "their" school that was there, due only to segregation.

Most folks think Huntsville is relevant only because of Wernher Von Braun and NASA.
I hate to see statues of our history torn down. Many of the people who want this are ignorant of history, and want to judge events of the past by todays standards. Much of what they believe is false anyway.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I hate to see statues of our history torn down. Many of the people who want this are ignorant of history, and want to judge events of the past by todays standards. Much of what they believe is false anyway.

+1 don't get me started. We just went through this with some buildings at Oregon State. Named for famous OSU and Corvallis pioneers. Three of four were stripped of their history just because of Confederate connections. The student's didn't listen to history, they just disrupted the meetings and caused trouble. I did the historical research for the administration on each of these, and yes, there were connections with the south, but you have to put these people into perspective with their point in history. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Last summer the ladies of the UDC here had a big monument of the tablet type that had been dedicated by the UDC in ~1900, crated & removed so that it could not be vandalized.

Charles_Siringo.jpg

Charles Siringo Signed Photograph.
3.25" x 5.25", March 15, 1921. A sepia toned image of Charles Siringo in hat and cloth tie, mounted on a horse. Inscribed on verso: "To Mr. Daniel H. Newhall with compliments of Chas. A. Siringo / Taken in Roswell, N.M. March 15-21 on my pet horse 'Patsy'."

Charles Siringo (1855- 1928), was a Texas cowboy and author, most noted for his memoir, A Texas Cowboy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points