Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The ones that got away

WOW!

decodoll said:
:cry: I lost this yesterday....actually esnipe didn't even get to bid for me because the bid went over my top bid before it even would have done so.... went for a lot higher than I expected!

bc_1.JPG

That is one fabulous dress!!!

ladyk

Familiar Face
5b_12.JPG

This is my most recent one that got away. I'm heartbroken, but it went for over $200 and I just couldn't stretch quite that far.

I'm almost as upset as when I lost these

76329870_eb8b374a02.jpg

76329869_f7b7755c80.jpg

It seems to be getting harder and harder to get hats like these for less than a small fortune.

Wxx

maisie

Practically Family
Those hats are gorgeous!
Most of the hats I watch on ebay go to the same ebayer, she is a dealer over here in England, and Ive bought a few things from her over the past few years. But the prices she charges for her hats, the cheapest is about ?Ǭ£50 up to about ?Ǭ£85-90!!
So I think, as I've got quite a few hats now, I'd rather just spend my money on dresses, suits or SHOES!!!:rolleyes:

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here

maisie

Practically Family
Daisy, i was watching that dress as well and as soon as I saw it I knew it was going to be one of those drss that the price will go high!!:eek: But I never even thought it would sell for that much!
But then not many dresses are selling for that on ebay!:)

SwingCat123

New in Town

AtomicBlonde

One of the Regulars

Mike in Seattle

If you'll excuse me for a moment...

If you'll excuse me for a moment...for stepping into the wrong room and eavesdropping a bit on your conversation. Something that I've discovered with Ebay is that a whale of a lot of people out there flunked sandbox. <grin> They spell things wrong or else make typo's they fail to notice & correct before posting the ad.

Try slight mis-spellings or a finger on a wrong key on your searches and you may hit some gold. I occasionally buy Fiestaware on Ebay (not as much lately since my partner's always cranking that the sideboard, kitchen cabinets & laundry room shelves are filled to overflowing...) and I can't tell you how much I've saved by occasionally searching for "feista" instead of "fiesta" or thinking of how a color should be spelled and then thinking how a second grader hearing the word might spell it. Sapphire=saphire, safire, saphhire as an example. I snagged a full place setting of lilac (a rare, expensive color) for $19.99 because the seller listed it as "Lillac Feistaware." It should have easily gone for 10 times the price. I was sweating that whole week expecting to find an incoming email that I'd been outbid but fate was on my side that week (I *knew* I should've bought a Lotto ticket that week!).

And with a tip of my fedora, I shall bid you fine ladies adieu and beg your kind pardons my intrusion!

AtomicBlonde

One of the Regulars
Mike in Seattle said:
If you'll excuse me for a moment...for stepping into the wrong room and eavesdropping a bit on your conversation. Something that I've discovered with Ebay is that a whale of a lot of people out there flunked sandbox. <grin> They spell things wrong or else make typo's they fail to notice & correct before posting the ad.

I use the "misspell" method all the time when searching for stuff... since my 19th century addiction came before this one (and is way more expensive... original bonnets sometimes going for 4 or 500 bucks.... and dresses waaaay outta my league) I've gotten quite a bit of stuff cheap this way. I also try creative variations on words and phrases... we're REALLY slow at work... I spend a lot of time on ebay :)

I got an 1845 knitting needle gauge for 5 bucks because the person thought it was an electrical wire gauge (he really didnt pass sandbox)... and I managed to find two early 19th century quilted bonnets, one in a very rare shade of arsenic green for less than 30 bucks each this way.

However, ebay IS the devil. I spend way more than I should there... likewise everyone else, I'm sure.

-Jess

Vanessa

One Too Many
AtomicBlonde said:
However, ebay IS the devil.

I'll second that.

And here's my latest auction to sniffle over. I forgot all about it. Think I was on the phone. :eusa_doh:

linen.jpg

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Vanessa,

I can relate. I found the perfect Marion Ravenwood shirt which I was hoping to win and wear by next Saturday when I go to meet the real Marion Ravenwood (Karen Allen) and forgot to bid while I was surfing the net. I was watching American Inventors and got into that too. That's what happens when I try to multitask.
S359.JPG

Daisy Buchanan

As usual, I didn't bid enough for this one. At the last minute, the price for Edwardian just goes way up. I thought I bid enough, but put my bid in too early. With 12 seconds left, someone came in and placed a higher bid. Ugh! This one was pretty too :eusa_doh: Sorry these pics are so big, I just can't seem to make them smaller.

waingirl

One of the Regulars
I was really heartbroken when I lost this one. :( I think someone came in at the last minute and bid higher. I wanted one of my girlfriends to wear this as a bridesmaids dress in my wedding. Oh well, the hunt continues...

dsp30bl07ah1.jpg

ricki

Familiar Face
I always have to remember that the bid that was only $1.00 higher than mine could have been a lot higher if I kept bidding, but it's so sad to lose an item on ebay unless it goes for an obsene amount of money.

As for auction sniping programs, when I do use them I use Auction Stealer. They give you three free snipes a week, and I've never had a problem using them.

Daisy Buchanan

waingirl said:
I was really heartbroken when I lost this one. :( I think someone came in at the last minute and bid higher. I wanted one of my girlfriends to wear this as a bridesmaids dress in my wedding. Oh well, the hunt continues..
dsp30bl07ah1.jpg
I'm so sorry for your loss, I feel your pain....won't say any more, it's just too sad making...:mad:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points