Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The ones that got away

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I refuse to pay a company to do my sniping.

Last night I lost this:
8c_1.JPG

WWII WAAC enlisted tunic

I checked it an hour before it ended, it had 1 bid. I reminded myself to go back and bid again closer to the end, and then I got absorbed in a book and forgot about it, until it was 45 minutes too late. Of course the auction ended at only $52. :rolleyes: This morning there's a comparable tunic and it has been bid up to $171 with almost an hour left!

Ah well, another one will come along.

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
This darling little dress escaped me by 4 seconds. Oh the pathos! And I was a bidding demon on it.

1870425745680873174_rs.jpg

And I just outsnipered someone on some delightful cream spinach color bakelite spacers. Sniffle!

Actually, I've been sniped more times than I care to admit this weekend. Oof! But I should be happy I guess--money not spent and all--blah blah blah...

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I just lost this. It went for way too much money, but I'm still sad. I watched this for days, and bid with one minute left. Had every indication that I was going to get it, and for a decent price. Then some hot shot came in at the last second and put in a much higher bid than me. These dresses have been going for so much more than they used to. I'm happy to see a return to style, but getting frustrated with the massive price rises I've been seeing. This has a beautiful sash that closes with a pretty knot in the back, but for some reason I couldn't get the picture of the back of the dress to upload. Very sad night in the Buchanan/Jones household.

Foofoogal

Banned
I lost some mint gold boudoir slippers about a month ago. There was a poof with a jeweled pin on them. They were fairly flat and most new slippers now are pure junk and I always wear slippers in the home. I had bid and watched for the whole time and for some dumb reason the last 30 minutes or so I went to make a sandwich and totally forgot about them. They sold for about $5.00. I even deleted the auction watch I had on them as I couldn't bear to see what I had lost. :eusa_doh:

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
decodoll said:
Our lovely Jitterbugdoll won those!! Congratulations, doll!

Oooh I'm so glad it was a Powder Room girl. Well done Jitterbug! I'm sure that you will look gorgeous in them.
:)

maisie

Practically Family
Whenever i miss something i always try and talk myself out of it, saying things like "Oh, it probably wouldn't have fitted properly" or "Where would I have worn it??" knowing that it would have probably fitted and i could of worn it to ....... dance/event!! It is especially annoying when something goes for less than you were gonna bid cause i forgot to bid or cause the seller won't ship outside the US!!

ladyk

Familiar Face
Cripes those shoes are just stunning.

I lost a pair a few weeks ago that have been playing on my mind ever since. Gorgeous, off white platforms with a double ankle strap.

78_1.JPG

This story has a happy ending though. The sale I lost fell through, and last night I was the highest bidder, and for less than I bid last time :eusa_clap

Not exactly a one that got away, but heartbreak of shoes being different to the description. These arrived today and, well, not exactly the three inch wide shoes that the seller said they were. I could cry.

200418159_bc95fad3d2.jpg

Wxx

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
ladyk said:
Cripes those shoes are just stunning.

I lost a pair a few weeks ago that have been playing on my mind ever since. Gorgeous, off white platforms with a double ankle strap.

78_1.JPG

This story has a happy ending though. The sale I lost fell through, and last night I was the highest bidder, and for less than I bid last time :eusa_clap

Not exactly a one that got away, but heartbreak of shoes being different to the description. These arrived today and, well, not exactly the three inch wide shoes that the seller said they were. I could cry.

200418159_bc95fad3d2.jpg

Wxx

Hi LadyK from another East Anglia/London lady!!

I have just won a pair of shoes that are the first that I have ever bid on from Ebay. I hope that the measurements I went by turn out OK:( I'm a bit worried now!!!

Did you contact the seller about the error in the info they had listed? maybe you could get your money back? Were they too narrow?

maisie

Practically Family
ladyk said:

I've had that happen, and it is so cool when it does!!
I bought a pair of purple suede and snakeskin anklestrap shoes from a person who had paid over $100 and they didn't fit them, and i got then for $25!! I was very, very pleased when i got them and they fitted, but i bet the seller was gutted!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Oooh I'm so glad it was a Powder Room girl. Well done Jitterbug! I'm sure that you will look gorgeous in them.

Yes, I am the one who bought that pair :eek: I actually thought they would sell for much higher; I've been longing for a pair of green platforms for ages and they always seemed to sell for $300+

ladyk-I completely understand your pain! I have bought many a shoe that just didn't work for me size-wise. My most recent disappointment was this pair (a rare find, too :():
47b6d834b3127cce8a20b624c31900000016108AatmbRq2ctP

maisie

Practically Family
jitterbugdoll said:
Yes, I am the one who bought that pair :eek: I actually thought they would sell for much higher; I've been longing for a pair of green platforms for ages and they always seemed to sell for $300+

ladyk-I completely understand your pain! I have bought many a shoe that just didn't work for me size-wise. My most recent disappointment was this pair (a rare find, too :():
47b6d834b3127cce8a20b624c31900000016108AatmbRq2ctP

I manged to get a pair of green suede platform a couple of months back, i think they were actually listed after THAT pair that sold for about $400!! I put my max bid on a sniper, thinking i probably wouldn't get them as they go for such stupid prices!! But to my surprise i got them for about $70!!! BARGIN!! And especially in a size 9 (UK 7)!! I was so pleased and I'm hoping to wear them with a kelly green and brown suit!!:D

Those tie up shoes are so cute, its a shame they don't fit but i suppose they will fit some little footed person out there!!:eusa_doh:

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
The ones I originally wanted had these adorable green pompom accents. They were absolutely darling :)

Isn't it funny how some pairs skyrocket, and others sell for so much less?

I bought this pair for $25, so I guess it evens out in the end ;):
47b6d906b3127cce8be2a303f62500000016108AatmbRq2ctP

maisie

Practically Family
Definatly! I don't only find that with shoes though, but most vintage pieces, some dresses, that i must say are nice but not THAT nice, go for stupid amounts on ebay then dresses that are so lovely, but have sometimes been listed badly, rubbish pics or just luck:D , go for peanuts!
I got a dress in the post today, it is such a siren dress, it is black up the top with cream flowers creeping up from the hem and the bottom of the sleeves, it is just gorgeous and fits perfectly. The seller listed it AS IS cause it has two tiny professional mends on the shoulders and one little mend under the armpit (now this is coming from me, who is very picky about condition!!:D ) is really is in excellent condition apart from that! I got it for $14.50!!!!!!:eek: And when i was trying it on there is a a half ripped out label that says Copyright 1947!! I'm so pleased and will try and post pics tomorrow in ebay buys section!

decodoll

Practically Family
jitterbugdoll said:
The ones I originally wanted had these adorable green pompom accents. They were absolutely darling :)

Isn't it funny how some pairs skyrocket, and others sell for so much less?

I bought this pair for $25, so I guess it evens out in the end ;):
47b6d906b3127cce8be2a303f62500000016108AatmbRq2ctP

lol Yes, it all evens out in the end! Those are quite lovely as well. :)

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I just lost another 30's gown, can't believe it. Of course the price was very low until the last minute when a bidding war ensued. I lost it by $2!! If only my max bid had been $2 higher, I would have this dress. Oh well, it went for way too much money as usual. When I put my max bid in I thought that there was no way that the price would get near it, for the price was so low to begin with. Will I ever get the gown that I am longing for??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points