Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The ones that got away

decodoll

Practically Family
Daisy Buchanan said:
I just lost another 30's gown, can't believe it. Of course the price was very low until the last minute when a bidding war ensued. I lost it by $2!! If only my max bid had been $2 higher, I would have this dress. Oh well, it went for way too much money as usual. When I put my max bid in I thought that there was no way that the price would get near it, for the price was so low to begin with. Will I ever get the gown that I am longing for??

I know how you feel, and it can indeed be heartbreaking. :( If it makes you feel any better, you may not have actually lost by just $2.00. The way ebay works, that top bidders' high bid could have been $2.00 or $2000 more than yours and you would never know...unless of course it didn't go up a whole bid increment. Then you know you were outbid just by a small amount...actually did that to someone else the other day! :eek:

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I lost this pattern but...

maybe I can recreate it because I love love love this coat (the hat ain't bad either)! One of those instances where I watched the pattern for a week and then got distracted and didn't bid. By any chance did anybody here get it?

mycoat.jpg

maisie

Practically Family
I know, it is one of the cutest prints! But i think that some Gone With The Wind collecter has got it and it will remain locked up in some cupboard!!:rage:

Sweet Leilani

A-List Customer
Daisy Buchanan said:
I just lost another 30's gown, can't believe it. Of course the price was very low until the last minute when a bidding war ensued. I lost it by $2!! If only my max bid had been $2 higher, I would have this dress. Oh well, it went for way too much money as usual. When I put my max bid in I thought that there was no way that the price would get near it, for the price was so low to begin with. Will I ever get the gown that I am longing for??

Interesting.... I have a nearly identical gown in red. It's too small for me- I'm thinking I'll list it if I can get that kind of $ for it!

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This one went for way too much. The sad thing is, hardly anybody bid on it until the last minute of the auction. If only I had put my bid in with less seconds left. I was willing to go over budget for this one, it really was a beauty and had a cute matching bolero. Oh well, another sad night in the Buchanan household:(

P

Paul

Oh dear that would have been so you. Something else just as nice will come up.
Biding at the last few second are they using some sort of software to do that?. It might be a idea to look into that also.

Daisy Buchanan

CherryRed said:
Lovely dress Daisy. Sorry you didn't win.
I was kicking my self really hard recently for forgetting to bid on this hand bag. It had a striped lining, mirror in the lid and still had it's owners gray gloves inside. It went so cheap too!:rage:
d3_1.JPG
It's such a shame seeing all of these great items getting away from you all.
It makes me want to start a gang of vintage gals who invade ebay and prevent all other, dispassionate buyers from sweeping up the vintage that we love and really care about, and stop them from driving up the prices to absurd amounts:mad:

glamgirl

New in Town
I was outbidded on this gorgeous coat last night. It went for $167.50. Probably just as well because I just read a message from the seller who said that when he took it out of the packaging to post there was an iron mark on it. Glad I didn't get it after all I suppose [huh]

eBayISAPI.dll

glamgirl

New in Town
lol I just re-read what I posted. Great english! not lol that should read "outbid".

Can anyone tell me how to add photos so they show on the page instead of including a web link? I tried but it keeps asking me for a URL and I can't copy and paste

Daisy Buchanan

glamgirl said:
lol I just re-read what I posted. Great english! not lol that should read "outbid".

Can anyone tell me how to add photos so they show on the page instead of including a web link? I tried but it keeps asking me for a URL and I can't copy and paste

What I do to add photos, and this can be the lengthy way so others might have better ideas:
Drag and drop the photo you want to your desktop. Go to www.imageshack.us
this is a hosting website. Upload the photo to image shack and it will give you a link so you can post the picture.
Hope this is understandible (my english is pretty good too!).

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
The one that got away

Hiya ladies. Just wanted to share stories about a garment that you absolutely LOVED and either didn't buy it, it was in poor condition, or you got outbid at auction, didn't fit, etc....

I have a few stories, but the one peice that breaks my heart is my Grandmother's wedding jacket. A 40's peplum style. She had shown it too me several times, the buttons were all off and the skirt was missing. I don't know if she wanted me to ask for it or what. I didn't feel right asking for it because I thought my aunt might want it. Well, after she had a stroke the first thing I did was run to her closet to take that puppy home.. but alas, it was not hanging there any longer, where it had for as long as I can remember. :cry: She passed away this summer and I sooo long for that piece. I hope it might show up some day. I have actually thought of contacting a psychic to see if indeed it's still in the house, lol! My aunt says she has no idea what it even looked like, humpf! How could you not know what your mother's wedding gown looked like?! I am SOOOO kicking myself. Ok..just had to vent.

Anyone else?

Oh.. here are some photos of Grandma and Grandpa,
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/ohairas/album/576460762343325260
Nikki

VargasGirl

One of the Regulars
I played Myrtle May in the show "Harvey" in high school. For my opening scenes I wore an origianal blue and white dotted dress (40's, if not very early 50's) that I had bought from eBay. The material was thin and sheer, the skirt draped beautifully, the only thing wrong was is was missing it's original belt. After the show I decided to donate it to the drama department, which was always hurting for funds. Later that year I was in a band/choir concert where we played a lot of older music, and we were all supposed to dress in vintage clothing. I asked the drama director if I could borrow it back to wear for the concert. She said she would try to dig it up for me. Later, I was told that she couldn't find it. Well, the night of the concert who shows up wearing my dress? The director's daughter (a little mis priss I-get-whatever-I-want)! I was livid. The only good thing was that she is very short, so the skirt was way too long and the dress just did not flatter her. I ended up wearing a dress my mom's friend gave me, it was 70's but looked 30's inspired. It had rhinestones all over it and it itched like CRAZY. That was 8 or so years ago, and I am still kicking myself for donating that dress!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points