Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Open Road Guild

Grinchily

New in Town
Ah... I should have searched more closely gents!

I just found a tiny date stamped on the inside of the sweatband: June 11 1998. I assume this is the date of manufacture.

Thank you all for your input!

DocCasualty

One of the Regulars
Here's some shots of my "reclaimed" Open Road. Actually reclaimed twice now. It was my dad's hat, purchased either in the latter '40s or early '50s. Unfortunately it lived too many years in the attic and between my head being larger than his and dry rot to the sweatband, the innards fell out. Pretty sure it's a Royal Stetson. If I knew then what I know now I would have scooped up the Stetson hat box and left the hat alone. Live and learn. But anyway, I bought a hat stretcher, fashioned a new cloth sweatband and it's a very functional and fun hat. More recently one of the Poodle puppies got a hold of it and put a couple of teeth marks into it and I was able to fix the only visible one on the brim with Elmer's glue to acceptable results.

Here I was wearing it at a Roaring Twenties party in the late '70s while it was original.

gangsterFedora.jpg

This is several years ago but after resizing and replacing the sweatband.

KP.jpg

Today.

IMG_5049[1].JPG

IMG_5051[1].JPG

IMG_5052[1].JPG

I thought I should post this here too. I initially posted in the "New Hats" thread......
As an additional note, when my freind was tellling me about the hat, I had NO Idea it was an Open Road....
AND I did not have an open road.............I do now.......
Cheers,
M

A Stetson "Open Road" Royal Deluxe soft Fedora style with wind trolly. Has original box. A good friend gave this to me last night. It belonged to his father who passed away last year......he knew I liked hats and he had no use for it....he told me about it but was unsure of size.....I was very doubtful it would fit (I am a 7 1/2 to 7 5/8). Well long story short......IT FITS LIKE IT WAS MADE FOR ME!!!!!!!!!!!!! Differant color than it photographs...........a sort of yellow-grey-tan.....Sand Color perhaps? Could not find a blocking tag but could be behind the liner.....I was very cautious about peeking behind the sweat......sweat is a sort of very very deep brown..........not sure of it's age.....
CHEERS,
M
View attachment 75114 View attachment 75115 View attachment 75116 View attachment 75117 View attachment 75118

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
Been fooling around with my camera this morning and looking for things to take photos of. So I thought I would update my not strictly OR thin ribbon collection.
IMG_4067 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
Clockwise from center bottom it's Pilgrim, 3X OR, Mallory The Dallas, Royal OR and Royal Deluxe OR.
IMG_4063 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
All would seem to be from sometime in the 1950s.
IMG_4066 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr

IMG_4071 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr

Hope you are having a fun Friday,
Michael

KarlCrow

One Too Many
Been fooling around with my camera this morning and looking for things to take photos of. So I thought I would update my not strictly OR thin ribbon collection.
Clockwise from center bottom it's Pilgrim, 3X OR, Mallory The Dallas, Royal OR and Royal Deluxe OR.

Michael
great collection, great creases.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up

Michael
Nice collection there. Good Diamond creases.

Michael

Great shots, especially that first one.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab

Michael

Really Nice Collection and Pictures Michael ! Like Candy , sweet , and a good assortment .

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
+1,envious.
Thanks Bob, I've still got a long way to go to get to the quality of your collection.

Nice collection there. Good Diamond creases.
Thanks Bob. These hats are fun to crease. Very amenable to changes

Great shots, especially that first one.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.
Thanks Jim. I think I'm going to like this old camera. It seems to behave itself much better with sunlight than the one I have been using. Still much to learn about it.

Really Nice Collection and Pictures Michael ! Like Candy , sweet , and a good assortment .
Thanks Michael. Candy is dandy, liquor is quicker, but hats are more addictive than either.

Thanks all,
Michael

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21