Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Open Road Guild

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I know.....but look at that hat.......dimensions, ribbon treatment, bound edge......an early open road style (as we now know it for the past 60 or so years) by another name......what is the Shakespeare quote....."a rose by any other name".....
M
Thin ribbons go way back..........the army issued a thin ribbon hat back in the 1850's......
indeed ... I was talking about on a fedora

indeed ... I was talking about on a fedora
Ahhhhh, now we are on to the discussion of the clasification of the OR......my booklet refers to all the contents as rugged utility hat styles.....no fedoras included in its pages.....so.....it it a fedora or rugged utility (work) hat?
Anyway I think this hat....the "Kingston" may be the first with the features of the OR we have come to adore......yes...the OR...."The Hat" that has really set the standard for Stetson, replacing the old "Boss of the Plains".......THAT was the whole point of my posting it here in "the Open Road Guild".
Best,
M
PS....I will be posting more of this booklet (which also features a very early "Last Drop" image as part of the back cover art) under the western anyone thread.....

Last edited:

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Ahhhhh, now we are on to the discussion of the clasification of the OR......my booklet refers to all the contents as rugged utility hat styles.....no fedoras included in its pages.....so.....it it a fedora or rugged utility (work) hat?
Anyway I think this hat....the "Kingston" may be the first with the features of the OR we have come to adore......yes...the OR...."The Hat" that has really set the standard for Stetson, replacing the old "Boss of the Plains".......THAT was the whole point of my posting it here in "the Open Road Guild".
Best,
M
PS....I will be posting more of this booklet (which also features a very early "Last Drop" image as part of the back cover art) under the western anyone thread.....
Never cared much for semantics

Never cared much for semantics

Moon,
I really do NOT understand your problem. Did you even read my first post or LOOK AT THE PICTURE?!?!?!? I was OBVIOUSLY talking about the OR as it has existed for over the last 60 plus years, that which MOST of this very thread is dedicated.....VERY FEW people (even on this forum) are even aware of the wide band fedora Stetson called the Open Road in the late 30's early 40's.

I am Sorry I even dared to post anything on your forum..........I will keep the historical stuff to myself from now on and let the Lords like you keep us peons informed as to what should be what....and how we should think......
Again, my apologies for even thinking little ol" I could contribute anything of interest.....
Best,
M

Last edited:

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Moon,
I really do NOT understand your problem. Did you even read my first post or LOOK AT THE PICTURE?!?!?!? I was OBVIOUSLY talking about the OR as it has existed for over the last 60 plus years, that which MOST of this very thread is dedicated.....

I am Sorry I even dared to post anything on your forum..........I will keep the historical stuff to myself from now on and let the Lords like you keep us peons informed as to what should be what....and how we should think......
Again, my apologies for even thinking little ol" I could contribute anything of interest.....
Best,
M
where did you detect a problem ?

I have no idea why you are so offended and are attempting to insult me right now

maybe reread the conversation ?

I said absolutely nothing inflammatory nor did I ever question your information ... zero

I do not know if one of these has been posted here before.......
Here is an ad for the OR from March of 1950. Really cool, East & West.........everyone is wearing one!;)
M
20171204_143142.jpg

Jhoff_1979

One of the Regulars
I am comparing silverbelly between my modern Strat and this vintage OR. Does everybody's vintage silverbelly have a more tannish hew than the more lighter modern or is it just this one?

I am comparing silverbelly between my modern Strat and this vintage OR.

Imo,they all vary a fair amount.
I agree with Bob. Modern Silverbelly to me seems to vary from being almost cream colored to tannish depending on the dye batch. The old vintage Silverbelly & especially on Westerns was more of a nice light gray, even a silver gray to my eyes. I much prefer the old Silverbelly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112