Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Orient Express

GHT

I'll Lock Up
If ever there was an iconic image of the Golden Era, it has to be The Venice-Simplon Orient Express.Pullman carriages that reek, style, class and image.
Back in 1993, I had intended to take my wife to Vienna on this train, we would dress up in period costume of a bygone age, and dance The Viennese Waltz at one of the many balls held in the city.
Sadly, it didn't happen. She was involved a serious road crash that resulted in her being off work for 15 months. 1993 was our silver wedding anniversary, 2013 will be our Sapphire (45) years. On May 3rd, we shall board the Orient Express for a one day, steam hauled, sightseeing trip around a 50 mile perimeter of London. We will enjoy fine dining, a five course, champagne meal awaits us.
Does this sound boastful? It's not meant to be, we are working people, no chance of the silver spoon. This train has always held an image in my wife's eye. So what we are putting to you is this.
What would you wear? Here's what we plan. My outfit will be much along the lines of my avatar, zoot suit, bespoke made, with two tone blue and white shoes, period shirt with a burlesque type neck tie. (it depicts images of Lautrec's 19th century CanCan scenes.) And a deep blue fedora. My wife will wear a classic period dress, with fur stole and period hat.
If you need inspiration, think Poirot, "Murder on the Orient Express."
This forum never ceases to inspire me, I can hardly wait to see how you would dress for this occasion.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Congratulations on the wedding-anniversary. According to a travel show I watched once, they said that the Orient Express is on the 100 things to do before you die. So it must be good. It may not be the original one, but what we have today is still great. Frankly, I'm amazed it survived this long.

MarkJohn

One of the Regulars
It sounds like you will have a truly marvellous day, and its certainly not boastful, quite the opposite.... what a great shame you could not take your original planned trip, all those years ago; it sounds like your wife went through a horrendous time of it.

Vintage train journeys are always a delight, but this will be something special. I hope you take lot of pictures of your trip and post them for us to enjoy... and I'm sure you will look fantastic too; I do not have the wardrobe to meet such an occasion, yet anyway...

And congratulations on your forty five years together :)

Last edited:

Asienizen

One of the Regulars
From what I read on the website, the Orient Express still does trips in Europe, but from what I could see - they do not do the traditional Vienna to Istanbul run. Can someone confirm or correct this??

TomS

One Too Many
Now, that sounds like a great time! Congrats on the Anniversary, and don't forget to post some pics for us!

MikeKardec

One Too Many
I think they have expanded the service to include other locations but I believe you can still get from London to Istanbul, though I'm not sure you do it all in one train car.

A tip from some friends who have taken it ... beware the summer heat, like many things European there is no Air Conditioning.

I've always wanted to do it, I rode the Trans Canadian as a kid and the Indian Pacific when I lived in Oz and many short runs around England and France.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Now, that sounds like a great time! Congrats on the Anniversary, and don't forget to post some pics for us!
Thanks to everyone for your kind compliments, I am having a spot of bother with Photobucket at the moment, but here's a snap of my wife on that monumentous day, I need Photobucket to get rid of those information stripes on the floor.
Picture 005.jpg
The dress that she is wearing is from an original 1938 paper pattern. The pattern was so flimsy that the folds had actually separated. We photocopied the original, then taped the photocopy together, traced it, and transfered it onto modern pattern paper. What do you think? Was it worth the effort?

Stormy

A-List Customer
She looks BEAUTIFUL! This image really sets back the hands of time! I love it! And thanks for giving me a great idea for something to do next time I'm abroad.

BR Gordon

One Too Many
The photo of your wife is beautiful. Please give us a blow by blow of your entire trip. That is one trip that my wife and I would truly love to take. Congratulations on both your anniversary and your trip.

jonniangel

One of the Regulars
Oh my goodness, your wife looks beautiful in that dress - so worth the effort of saving the pattern. She looks absolutely appropriate for the Orient Express. Can't wait to see more pictures and hear all about the adventure. I'm green with envy!

MarkJohn

One of the Regulars
The photo of your wife is beautiful. Please give us a blow by blow of your entire trip. That is one trip that my wife and I would truly love to take. Congratulations on both your anniversary and your trip.

Indeed... looking forward to seeing and hearing more about your trip.

dnjan

One Too Many
We did London-Venice for our 25th anniversary. Indeed a wonderful trip. We didn't do period costumes, though I did have a semi-period ivory waistcoat with my dinner jacket for the evening meal.

The cars are beautiful.
http://s151.photobucket.com/user/dnjan/media/DSCN2785.jpg.html?sort=3&o=14
http://s151.photobucket.com/user/dnjan/media/DSCN2842.jpg.html?sort=3&o=13
The first photo is the outside of the Pullman in London, and the second is the hallway in the VSOE sleeper (ours was built in 1929).

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for all your kind sentiments. You can have an account of the day, it was truly memorable, but I need some time putting it all together. Here are a few photos. I'll post the journal in a day or two.
Picture 004.jpg Picture 010.jpg Picture 002.jpg Picture 015.jpg Picture 023.jpg Picture 024.jpg

Last edited:

dnjan

One Too Many
Really looking forward to the photos. Even seeing the inside of Victoria Station is bringing back fond memories!

edit - Thanks for adding those pictures! - hope there are more to come.
Love the marquetry in the panel behind you. And behind your wife.
To me, details like that really define the era in which craftsmanship ruled.

Last edited:

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Really looking forward to the photos. Even seeing the inside of Victoria Station is bringing back fond memories!
Thanks, there's a few more interesting shots, but right now, it's eleven thirty pm in the UK, and I'm off to bed.

Thanks, there's a few more interesting shots, but right now, it's eleven thirty pm in the UK, and I'm off to bed.

As this post has lain undisturbed, I will use it for an update. When we married, in May 1968, we were just 18 & 22 respectively. No one can fortell, of course, how the relationship will pan out, but the two of us were lucky enough to find the right soul mate, first time.
Surprising her on our anniversary has become something of a tradition. And ever since our cancelled silver wedding celebration, whereby we were to emulate dnjan, and travel through Europe on this magnificent train, I knew we would, one day, be drawn back.
The excursion was chosen on Friday 3rd, even though there was an excursion on Saturday 4th, our actual anniversary. The 3rd was the choice because it was steam hauled. We enjoyed many events that weekend, ranging from a West End show, to a premiership rugby match. We did eight venues in all, but nothing came within touching distance of that beautiful, beautiful train.
We stayed at a hotel near Twickenham Stadium, for those unfamiliar, it's the head quarters of British Rugby Union. On the day of our date with the Orient Express, we caught a commuter train into Victoria, dressed as you see us in the photos. We must have been photographed a dozen times, and we must have explained the why's and wherefores even more. That said, we also had many a congratulation from complete strangers, so heartwarming.
At Victoria Terminus, our commuter train pulled into platform 17, from there we had to walk, through the busy concourse, dressed as we were, with a 101 double takes, pointing fingers and expressions of amazement to contend with. We arrived at the Venice Simplon Orient Express or OE, if I need to use that again, to see their famous logo, a concierge, waiters serving fresh coffee, or tea, made traditionally. But in a sign of the times, they weren't allowed to serve it in their famous, mongrammed, bone china, because we were allowed to drink it in a public place, it had to be cardboard vending cups. (as one waiter succinctly put it: "So gross." Quite.)
We checked in, what a delight to see all the staff resplendent in their liveried uniforms. Once we had accepted the compliments for our dress style, we ventured back out and asked the jazz band if they played requests. Our team, remember the rugby match? Are known as The Saints, so what else but: When The Saints Go MArching In? And they did us proud.
Some of our fellow travellers had entered into the bygone spirit, but most were dressed, if in modern mode, then very smart and most memorable. We chatted with many whilst waiting for the train's arrival. Lost count of how many times we were photographed. The train's arrival caused a stir, not least because it was pulled into the platform by a diesel engine. But a quick glance down the platform to see a steam engine, connected, ready for the outbound journey, brought both smiles and relief.
A throng gathered around the magnificent beast of a steam engine, that stood there, snorting steam. I got close, trying to get the impossible shot of the engine, without people in the way. That's when I got that familiar whiff of steam and oil. It immediately took me back to my schooldays, when I used to commute, to and from school, by train. The number of people seemed to be getting increasing, knowing of a photographer that can "clean" a shot, I headed back to our carriage.
Michael, our Maitre 'D', was waiting with champagne. We were shown to our seats. In these Pullman carriages, there are no fixed seats, all the tables and chairs can be removed, rearranged, to seat four perhaps or set in the couple formation that we found them in.
Trying to explain all the art deco and the laminate inlay would take forever, besides, I'm not exactly a good wordsmith, so included are one or two pics for you to peruse for yourselves.
The journey took us around a fifty mile radius of London. We treated commuters, in their cars, to the sight of yesteryear, and how they loved it. Never have we been so photographed. About half way through the journey, the engine needed to take on water, a very novel system has been set up to accomplish this. The fire brigade, in the guise of a large tanker truck, met us at one of the stations. There was a day when a water pump was sited on every platform, but not these days. The water is de-ionised to prevent furring inside the workings of the engine. How sad am I to know that?
So, about four hours later, and after much good food and fine wine, as well as champers galore, we slowly pulled back into Victoria station. This is just a precis, I am planning a full journal of the day, which, when I can work out how to put it into a blog, I will, and post the link, at least I think that's the terminology, so if you want, you can read it all about it in detail.

Last edited:

MarkJohn

One of the Regulars
Torture!
I got an "invalid attachment" message when I clicked on the links.

Yes, a pity; maybe some nice moderator can sort the post out?

Lovely account of a wonderful day (and weekend) GHT... I hope you manage to get it all down in a blog; I can recommend wordpress.com for a free and easy to use solution.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
This is a sample size of the photos on Photobucket. Haven't worked out how to reduce them. Not wishing to monopolise space, how many is it wise to post?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112