Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Penney's Marathon

frankmartinjr

New in Town
Hi all,

I'm trying to verify the authenticity of a hat that belonged to a famous individual. Does anyone know if Pennys Marathon hats were ever custom made from the factory? If so did the inside sweat band say "Custom made for: John Doe". Perhaps there is a way to check with the old factory records. I see from this thread that those hats were produced from the Lee Hat Co. of Danbury, Conn. Does anyone know if their records are still around.

Thanks for any insight.

fedoracentric

Banned
Does anyone know if their records are still around.
Sadly, you won't find any manufacturers that retain the sort of records you are looking for. Firstly, all those great old hat companies are long gone. Secondly, those companies who bought out the old companies never saved any records.

Further, I kind of doubt that there were ever any records kept even when those companies were still going strong that would tell you if they custom made a hat for a particular person.

About all we have these days is newspaper stories, the occasional stray invoice, period advertisements, and old hat industry journals to go by today.

Landman

One Too Many
Hi all,

I'm trying to verify the authenticity of a hat that belonged to a famous individual. Does anyone know if Pennys Marathon hats were ever custom made from the factory? If so did the inside sweat band say "Custom made for: John Doe". Perhaps there is a way to check with the old factory records. I see from this thread that those hats were produced from the Lee Hat Co. of Danbury, Conn. Does anyone know if their records are still around.

Thanks for any insight.

Welcome to the forum. I have a Penney's Marathon "Beaver One Hundred" western hat that has stamped on the sweatband "Made Expressly For Walt Martini". It also has it's own special suitcase. I purchased the hat from Ebay and don't know anything about Mr. Martini but he obviously had the hat custom made. I posted pictures of it on the Lounge but I can't remember which thread. I'll see if I can find them.

Edit: Here is the thread with pictures.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...er-100-Hat-And-Suitcase&p=1750238#post1750238

Last edited:

Miamibruno

One Too Many
Just in case I missed it, is there a thread that dates Marathon liners or tags? I've gotten my hands on two beautiful Marathons and I'm just trying to get an idea of provenance and time. Also, does anyone know the Ultra, Supreme, Superior scale?

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:

tommyK

One Too Many
_DSC1063_zps9ba8f57a.jpg _DSC1059_zps711b237a.jpg

Just picked up off the bay

Some archeology

_DSC1051_zpsce54667b.jpg
Not sure if this is a clue to the manufacture, I'm guessing Lee from others in this thread

_DSC1048_zps6f414c0f.jpg _DSC1050_zps888042e0.jpg
i had not seen one of these before but it makes sense that something like this would be offered. It was tucked in between the crown and hatband.

Lotsahats

One Too Many
Hey Tommy,

Glad the hat made it--USPS was quick on that one! I, too, figured late 50s on this one, based on evidence in this thread.

Hope you like it,
A

tommyK

One Too Many
Hey Tommy,

Glad the hat made it--USPS was quick on that one! I, too, figured late 50s on this one, based on evidence in this thread.

Hope you like it,
A

Very happy! I steamed it to open crown on my 52 block, reshaped it and a little brushing and it's good to go. the postman tried to destroy it, the box was really smashed but you packed it too well! It came through unscathed.

Lotsahats

One Too Many
Very happy! I steamed it to open crown on my 52 block, reshaped it and a little brushing and it's good to go. the postman tried to destroy it, the box was really smashed but you packed it too well! It came through unscathed.

Oh, man, glad to hear that! You freaked me out for a second. Awesome, all around.

tommyK

One Too Many
Could be 60's. At what point did most manufacturers start going to the stingy Madmen style brim? This one's got a 5 1/2 crown and 2 1/2 brim which is why i was thinking 50's. there is probably some overlap in style offerings at that time. I'll have to try and round up some Penny's catalogs from around 1955-1965. Might be able to help date some of these better or narrow the range.

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
This is my Marathon, and the ribbon is unique- the gray in the ribbon match the felt.. I haven't seen another two tone Marathon ribbon, doesn't mean they are not out there but I just haven't seen any.

Anyone got a guess on age ?

2i9qlfs.jpg

34dint4.jpg

23st0uh.jpg

mszqxj.jpg

tommyK

One Too Many
2014-07-07165724_zps06a05e47.jpg
Do the pleats in the liner help date it one way or the other? Or is that just "flavor of the week" for the manufacturer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch