Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Prince of Wales' Ascot Suit

LordBest

Practically Family
I think this may be the nicest suit I have ever seen on a public figure. One assumes a top hat with a suit is only appropriate at Royal Ascot?

charlesatascot.jpg

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Hmmm . . . so many interesting details to dissect. It's a black hat with a gray suit. Note to self: Black hat with gray morning suit is OK. Spread collar. Check. Blue shirt with white collar. Check. Blue tie. Check. Similar but not matching pocket square. Check. Double breasted lapelled waistcoat. Check.
August demeanor. Gotta work on that one.
And regardless of what other people may say, the lady looks quite nice, too.

Edward

Bartender
No fan of the man myself, but that's by the by - I certainly can't deny that his wardrobe, whether selected by himself or his tailor, or some collaboration between the two, is typically flawless. I'm a big fan myself of this less-formal all-over light grey morning suit look, albeit that its usefulness is limited if one wants to be strictly traditional.... Ascot is about the only place one could wear a grey jacket without being either the groom or the father of the bride.... As to the light grey matching trousers, these are permissible for grooms - not sure about the FotB?

The double-breasted, peaked (one assumes) lapel waistcoat is a particularly nice detail, IMO.

Dan D

Familiar Face
dhermann1 said:
August demeanor. Gotta work on that one.
lol A regal bearing gives dignity to much attire that would otherwise draw criticism; the imperious stare, the presumptious hauteur; an area in which I am, also, sadly lacking...!

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
Dan D said:
lol A regal bearing gives dignity to much attire that would otherwise draw criticism; the imperious stare, the presumptious hauteur; an area in which I am, also, sadly lacking...!

Being heir to the throne of England is probably an asset to accomplishing the proper look....there but for the grace of God go you or I....

Edward

Bartender
H.Johnson said:
The 'throne of England' - has something constitutional happened that I don't know about?

Hee hee - I think this veers into politics, but it depends on your frame of reference. Manys a Scot is irked by the consistent reference to "Elizabeth II" as she is only Elizabeth II in the English context - "Elizabeth I" never ruled north of the border. ;) In the eyes of most Celts the monarchy is very much an English throne, albeit one whose reach extends to other territories including the rest of the British Isles. All politics aside, I think it's very fair to say that the monarchy, as much of the State apparatus of the united Kingdom, is very Anglo-centric. :)

LordBest

Practically Family
Another picture from Royal Ascot, rather wonderful to see so many toppers in public:
ascot.jpg

Incidentally, in Australia it is always referred to as the Crown, although there is a throne for the Queen (or King) of Australia in the Senate. When the Sovereign is not in the country, the throne is occupied by the Governor General.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Edward said:
Hee hee - I think this veers into politics, but it depends on your frame of reference. Manys a Scot is irked by the consistent reference to "Elizabeth II" as she is only Elizabeth II in the English context - "Elizabeth I" never ruled north of the border. ;) In the eyes of most Celts the monarchy is very much an English throne, albeit one whose reach extends to other territories including the rest of the British Isles. All politics aside, I think it's very fair to say that the monarchy, as much of the State apparatus of the united Kingdom, is very Anglo-centric. :)

Entirely correct....the English kings bankrupted their treasuries insuring the subjugation of the "territories" from the 1200s onwards...and we are still the repercussions of it in Northern Ireland to this day.

Dan D

Familiar Face
Clothing and monarchy.

And as the BBC4 documentary series on Savile Row broadcast last year stated, according to founders of Savile Row, Henry Poole, Poole assisted in funding the French Revolution in order to ensure Napoleon ascended to the French rulership - so that he could afford to pay his tailoring bills.

Clothing, tailors and the monarchy have been intertwined for years, it seems!

Max Flash

One of the Regulars
Nick D said:
I was under the impression that it was gray toppers for Ascot. There are only three in that photo.

A grey top hat (also know as a "white hat") can be worn at all summer daytime racing events, starting with Ascot. However, a black hat will also always be correct.

Recently, grey hats have become increasingly popular as daytime wear, particularly at weddings. However, if there is any doubt over the correctness of your hat, always go for black!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto