Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Resistol Roundup

Feraud

Bartender
Sometime this weekend I will try to get better pics of this Resistol.
For now..
1243526365.jpg

1243526492.jpg

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Resistol Regent

3975914820_a0e5171747_b.jpg
3975152297_c3ee9d576d_b.jpg
3975915192_48c91376fd_b.jpg
3975915554_8ac604da1f.jpg
3975152617_ae619d48a3.jpg
3975110683_0365ce69a1.jpg

Platinum on Platinum color(no green) 2-5/8" brim with 3/8" matching binding top and bottom. 12 Ligne ribbon. 2-layer "Self-Conforming" 1-7/8" sweatband without reed.

Spats McGee

One Too Many
rlk said:
3975110683_0365ce69a1.jpg

Platinum on Platinum color(no green) 2-5/8" brim with 3/8" matching binding top and bottom. 12 Ligne ribbon. 2-layer "Self-Conforming" 1-7/8" sweatband without reed.
I meant to come back and comment on this one. This one's fantastic! It shows up green on my monitor in all but the shot of you wearing it, but man that is one nice hat.

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mario said:
Yes I wanna! :D :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

I see you're going for that lovely reverse taper as well, just like me. :eusa_clap

Thanks Mario. I like that reverse taper when the hat agrees; this one does to some extent.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
There have been some great hats posted in this thread, but these last two by rlk and feraud are just amazing!

Mr. Paladin

This is another Resistol, a San Antonio I converted to a fedora from a western crease today. I've cross-posted it onto "the Other Open Roads..." thread.

AkubraandResistol004.jpg

AkubraandResistol006.jpg

AkubraandResistol007.jpg

SanAntonioDetails005.jpg

SanAntonioDetails003.jpg

SanAntonioDetails004.jpg

navarre

Vendor
I'll second that Jon. I work at a western shop shaping hats. As far Stetson vs Resistol. Resistol wins every time. Better felt and attention to detail. Still factory hats but the boys in the Resistol factory just pay more attention.

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Resistol 'Tahoe' stingy

I bought this neat little Resistol cranberry stingy on a whim while fishing the Bay. It looks about as vintage as last nights dinner, but the mention of Byer-Rolnick on the liner gives me some pause.

The felt is firm and the finish is very soft and velour-like - probably their kitten finish rather than any beaver (though neither is mentioned anywhere). There's no retailers stamp on the sweat - a rather modern phenomenon.

The brim is 1 7/8 unbound; size is a very generous 7 1/8; colour according to the tag under the sweat is 'vinage' (would it kill them to just say cranberrry?); the model name appears to be 'Tahoe'. There is the usual United Hatters & Milliners Union tag on the reverse of the remains of the size tag.

I'm still not sure if I'll keep it or throw it back in the Bay.

I'm guessing it's from the 80's? What say you?

(The colour is a much darker maroon than shown in the pics. The pic of the lining shows what is close to the true colour).

SDC10337.jpg
SDC10344.jpg
SDC10338.jpg

billysmom

One Too Many
Ephraim Tutt said:
I bought this neat little Resistol cranberry stingy on a whim while fishing the Bay. It looks about as vintage as last nights dinner, but the mention of Byer-Rolnick on the liner gives me some pause.

The felt is firm and the finish is very soft - probably their kitten finish rather than any beaver (though neither is mentioned anywhere). There's no retailers stamp on the sweat - a rather modern phenomenon.

The brim is 1 7/8; size is a very generous 7 1/8; colour according to the tag under the sweat is 'vinage' (would it kill them to just say cranberrry?); the model name appears to be 'Tahoe'.

I'm still not sure if I'll keep it or throw it back in the Bay.

I'm guessing it's from the 80's? What say you?

(The colour is a much darker maroon than shown in the pics. The pick of the lining is closest to the colour).

I really like the color! It seems to be a whimsical little lid. Let's see a noggin shot.

Sue

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Yes Sue...whimsical is what it is. Much like my mood when I bought it.

As for a melon shot - to be honest I'm wondering if it isn't just a little bit girly for me, hence my hesitancy to throw it atop my scone. Still...maybe matched with a grey shirt and a lovely Burberry maroon tie.
Could work on a day in need of some whimsy.

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
First of my two...

Here's what is now my favorite hat...

Very thin felt, dark tan, 3X, kitten finish. (Second photo most accurate color.)

B1.jpg

B2.jpg

B3.jpg

Details:
- Started out as 7-5/8
- Clean, blocked, upsized by Art to a 7-3/4
- New sweatband (sadly)
- VERY thin/soft felt
- Brim = 1-7/8 in.
- Crown = 4 in (front)
- Crease = Teardrop
- Ribbon = Vintage 16 ligne (chocolate)

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Second of two...

Another 3X, kitten finish, this one a "707." Dark olive (jade) green. (Purchased to match the overcoat it's photographed on.)

BTW, these photos don't do this hat justice. It really is very sweet.

O1.jpg

O2.jpg

O3.jpg

O4.jpg

Details:
- Currently a 7-5/8
- To be clean, blocked, upsized by Art to a 7-3/4
- New sweatband and ribbon (if needed)
- VERY soft finish but heavier felt than No. 1
- Brim = 1-5/8 in. (a little TOO stingy for my taste)
- Crown = 4-1/4 in (front)
- Crease = None
- Ribbon = Original 20 ligne black

If this ends up needing a new ribbon, I'm disposed to go with a 16 ligne in a dark olive, but could be persuaded by Art to stick with either black or a very dark charcoal. (If it fit, I probably wouldn't do anything with it except get the sweat stains cleaned out of the liner.)

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Check out the classifieds...

Decided NOT to keep the Dark Green 7-5/8. It really IS a great hat, it's just not my size. My next hat's gonna be one to my exact specs from Art. Fishing for something that might/could work on my 7-3/4 head is a tough slog through the eBay swamps.

jonbuilder

Here is a Resistol 100 I purchase off ebay recently. The hat is size 7 3/8, which loose on me. I would like to get it resized to 7 1/4 long oval and keep the present rim shape. Do not know if this is practical to resize a hat with out re flanging the brim? The brim has lots of stiffener. I am quessing the hat to be cira 60s
profile-1.jpg

front-6.jpg

lable-3.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto