Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Resistol Roundup

rlk

I'll Lock Up
ScottF said:
Would it be sacrilege to convert this to a dress western? i.e - trim the brim, re-block, keep the current ribbon but give it more of an Open Road look?

I ask because I won't wear it as-is (no dress-up Cowboy functions to attend).

Any opinions?

Why get it in the first place? It a perfectly standard "western" hat suitable for many functions(generally outdoors). In perfect condition, why spend the time effort and money to make something else. Its not a style to scare anyone. If you don't like the way it looks enough to wear it, then sell it. You own it so you can do whatever you want. Stop being a Bashful Cowboy and wear 'em.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
rlk said:
Why get it in the first place? It a perfectly standard "western" hat suitable for many functions(generally outdoors). In perfect condition, why spend the time effort and money to make something else. Its not a style to scare anyone. If you don't like the way it looks enough to wear it, then sell it. You own it so you can do whatever you want. Stop being a Bashful Cowboy and wear 'em.

Edited: sorry, I must have woken up on the wrong side of the bed

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
jimmy the lid said:
Nice pick-up, Scott! I'm pretty much with gtdean on this one. Only difference is -- I'm not big on shaving brims down. No "haberslasher" here. :D What I would do is the same thing that I have done to a couple of nice Stetson westerns I have come across -- re-crease it into an outback style, brim down all around, teardrop (or other style of your choosing). Those big brims have a place, and as an outdoors hat, come in very handy. The hat will still be intact, but simply shaped more to your particular style (whatever that may be ;)).

Cheers,
JtL

Thanks GTDean, Jimmy. Very useful ideas.

barrowjh

One Too Many
San Antonio in Canyon color, 7 3/4

I won this on ebay for $150, buying to give this as a gift to a step-grandson. Ebay item #170443426937 ended on Feb 14th.

difficult to get a good pic of the color, a milk-chocolate shade.

022210011.jpg

022210009.jpg

022210008.jpg

022210014.jpg

022210015.jpg

It came bashed in some attempt at a gus, but without sufficient crown, it just didn't get there. I may have gotten a bit too fancy with the crown, but I was trying to avoid having a big dome in the center, so I found myself pushing it back down, and then, well, sorta natural to want it symmetrical.

Resistol Wanderer...

I don't know what Resistol called this model but I dubbed it the Resistol Wanderer because it is set up just like a Stetson Wanderer = Open Road style bound edge with a Playboy style ribbon treatment. It also has 2 rows of stitching on the brim that you can see in last noggin shot. This is a medium brown color with a 2 3/4" brim. Has store price tag behind the sweat for $8.50...
reswan1.jpg

reswan2.jpg

reswan3.jpg

Noggin shots...
reswan4.jpg

reswan6.jpg

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
I am LOVIN' the "Wanderer" look! Nice lid, Deputy. Neat color, neat stitching on the brim. Is that an oil silk liner protector? Looks like that lid may date back a ways -- and in excellent condition, to boot!

Also -- looks great on you. That one's a winner. Congrats! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Cheers,
JtL

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
ScottF said:
It just arrived - the certificate signature is authentic, not a stamp. Hat is mint, felt is nicer than my 7X Stetson (feels nicer, anyway). I give up and will now be wearing a genuine cowboy hat in public...at times.

ResistolWhiteFront.jpg
Scott, whatever you do with it, I think its a great hat with history and documentation. I believe the old Stetson crease charts call that front and rear dimple the "Fort Worth" crease. I agree that hats are to be worn and whatever you do or don't do to make it suitable for you is A-OK. Let us see whatever you decide.

jimmy the lid said:
I am LOVIN' the "Wanderer" look! Nice lid, Deputy. Neat color, neat stitching on the brim. Is that an oil silk liner protector? Looks like that lid may date back a ways -- and in excellent condition, to boot!

Also -- looks great on you. That one's a winner. Congrats! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Cheers,
JtL
Thanks Chief. It has a liner protector but is different from Stetson oil silk protectors I have. The liner is stitched in but thread has become broken & barely hanging on. There are some stickers behind the sweat as well. Any ideas on dating Resistols? [huh]

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Mr. Paladin said:
Scott, whatever you do with it, I think its a great hat with history and documentation. I believe the old Stetson crease charts call that front and rear dimple the "Fort Worth" crease. I agree that hats are to be worn and whatever you do or don't do to make it suitable for you is A-OK. Let us see whatever you decide.

Thanks, Mr. P. I decided that since there's no hurry, better safe than sorry - leaving it 'as-is' for now since there's a good chance I'd regret it if I messed with it. If I decide that the only way to keep it is to 'convert' it, I'll probably offer it instead to a western collector on the forum.

donnc

One of the Regulars
This one had more brim curl and a kind of odd cowboy crease. Not a Resistol - sorry! - but to the point of what to do with those things - for me, the crease and brim curl commonly found on cowboy hats is as out of place in my part of the world as a coonskin cap, but that big brim looks a lot better with some curl, than it would with the `outback' droop. In the end, I think this is every bit the cowboy hat it was before, just a little restyled.
802361194_cU8VQ-O.jpg

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
donnc said:
...In the end, I think this is every bit the cowboy hat it was before, just a little restyled.
802361194_cU8VQ-O.jpg

Good idea, and a good point as well. Once I got used to the idea of wearing 'cowboy' style hats in public, I give each fedora a shot at being worn with the front brim dipped rather than snapped, and finding that many of them look just as good that way. Yours looks perfect!

Scott Wood

Practically Family
Lucked out (co-posted with new hats thread)

I did a minimum bid thing, bidding started at 24.99 which is what I paid having bid 25 lol , on a hat for two reasons...
It was a Resistol, which I like
It was gold velour, which is fairly unusual :D
I won and have now received the hat and I think I am going to keep it as is and wear it as is :D I love it:p
100_0426.jpg

100_0427.jpg

KevKaos59

Familiar Face
Hello all. I am a very junior member of this forum, and I just posted in another thread about my phone call to a local hatter about getting a Resistol 20X beaver "Kitten Finish" hat worked on.

They didn't sound interested in working on it because they claim that many light colored (in this case silver) Resistol's are "pounced". They said that the color is in a powder that is added to the felt to make the color of the hat and it will "wash out" the color if you try to clean it with anything other than a good brushing, and they didn't recommend even steaming. Being new, this made me pause. I have seen all these wonderful Resistols in this thread that have obviously been cleaned, steamed, and everything in between.

I have to admit that weeks ago, I tried to steam the hat for reshaping, and it seemed to holdup pretty well. Unfortunately, I am not the most talented shaper, it it could really be a nice hat if the right hands worked some magic on it with the steam.

Anyway, cutting to the chase, I would like to send it out to someone, or continue working on it myself so that I can learn. Are there any issues that I should know about? I currently clean hats with a brushing and then a felt hat foam cleaner and a proper white hat cleaning sponge. I would put a photo up, but I don't know if I have enough postings yet. I'll try.

TMoomaw

New in Town
Maverick, straw Open Road clone

I found this a couple weeks ago and reshaped it into a C crown.

maverick.jpg

The model name says Maverick, and the color is Avario.
maverick1.jpg

Not sure what the straw is, or even if it is straw, it says imported Picot on the sweat. I think it is late 60's vintage.

TMoo

frussell

One Too Many
Some info from you experts?

I know I'll catch some flak for no photos, but my two new Resistols are taped up in boxes full of newspaper and baking soda to remove some strong cigarette smoke. I just received a greenish grey Beaver Twenty and a brown Beaver Twenty Five, both Kitten Finish, both with the Product of Byer Rolnick liners, and would like to know what time frame this labeling indicates. They are both 2 1/4 brim, with a Cavanaugh-type edge, whatever Resistol used to use. The grey has a wind trolley, both have 2" ribbons, not sure if they are original. I'll post photos in a few days, but I just wondered if those markers ring any bells for anyone? Luckily, one was mislabeled as 7 3/4, and under the sweat is marked 7 7/8, which is a huge score for me. I believe the Twenty Five also had "The Chairman," and 25.00 marked on the typed tag under the sweat, if that's any help. Both could use a good cleaning, but are in fairly great shape, no moth bites, no real wear, just stinky. Thanks for any help, Frank.

frussell

One Too Many
Photos, tags, etc...

Well, on closer inspection, the Beaver Twenty Five is the "Mr. Chairman" model, priced at $25, in Black Walnut, 2 1/4" brim, Cavanaugh-style edge. The grey Beaver Twenty has a 2 3/8" brim, a wind trolley, and the tags are more faded, size 7 7/8, priced at $20. Both are in great shape, the liners are still in the stink removal area. Both these hats are from Hyman and Sons, Chicago. Anybody have an idea on the time frame? Thanks in advance, Frank.
Beaver 25:
P4240726.jpg
[/IMG]
P4240708.jpg
[/IMG]
P4240709.jpg
[/IMG]
P4240719.jpg
[/IMG]
P4240730.jpg
[/IMG]
Beaver Twenty:
P4240696.jpg
[/IMG]
P4240729.jpg
[/IMG]
P4240704.jpg
[/IMG]
P4240728.jpg
[/IMG]

barrowjh

One Too Many
Dinerman, my favorite amongst Resistol liners are the ones like in your San Antonio. I recently won a Beaver 25, and the liner has a gold circle with the same shield, says Kings 25, does not mention the Byer-Rolnick Product, and I really miss that for some reason. Just seems more 'vintage' with the Byer-Rolnick Product in script. I have a 3X with the same liner as yours, and even thought the felt is not as nice as the Beaver 25, I just love the hat anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk