Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Rocky Hat?

DAK333

New in Town
Sorry if this has been asked before...

What type of hat does Rocky wear in Rocky 1,2, and 5?

Picture if anyone needs to see:

6036_0002.jpg

Thanks

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I would say that's a wool hat from the '70's. They are as common as dandelions at flea markets, and can be found all day on eBay for $5 or less.

Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

BigSho

Vendor
It is most likley a wool hat but it is (at least what we would call it) whats called a rex hat. It doesnt look like a felt to me which is why i would make the assumption. You can get a new one fro about 35 bucks.

Jeremy
http://www.hats-plus.com

analogist

One of the Regulars
Rocky Hat

Word has it that the Rocky hat was a copy of one originally created by Art for his best buddy Harpo Marx. Art and Harpo went on a big game safari in 1963 and Harpo wore this hat for all three months they spent on the Veldt.

It is also rumored to us who are Hollywood Insiders that the least known of the Marx brothers was not Gummo but rather a San Francisco stone mason known as "Hatboy".

analogist

EricH

One of the Regulars
I thought Zeppo was the least known one. And don't stonemasons where those funny fez hats, or am I confused? And how is a hat to a hatboy like a pool to a poolboy or am I just struggling for a good analogy:rolleyes: Who would want the Rocky hat anyhow? Harpo had a better hat though he was never one to blow his own horn about it. I digress. Eric

Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted.
--Groucho Marx

analogist

One of the Regulars
In response to EricH

Trying to find a good analogy? Don't waste your time. Leave it to a professional. It's my bread and butter and how I sent both sets of my sextuplets to Harvard. That's why I am the.........

analogist

ukali1066

Practically Family
I'm a Newsboy devotee myself...but I always liked the small jaunty hat that Stallone wore in the original Rocky.... where could I get one just like it ?

MattJH

One Too Many
ukali1066 said:
I'm a Newsboy devotee myself...but I always liked the small jaunty hat that Stallone wore in the original Rocky.... where could I get one just like it ?

Just look for stingy-brimmed wool felt fedoras and you'll find plenty that resemble it. You should be able to find something like it in most hat stores. Here are some photographs to reference:

rocky-balboa1.jpg

RockyBalboa.JPG

Rocky_Balboa_2.jpg

2006_rocky_balboa_006.jpg

a%20rocky%20balboa%20DVD_VIDEO-15.jpg

18rocky.span.jpg

MattJH

One Too Many
It just occurred to me that searching for wool "rex" hats will yield you the results you like. If you want to go high end, here are Borsalino's line of stingy-brimmed wool felt "rex" hats. They have brown, olive, and grey hats. It looks like olive would match Rocky's the best based on the photographs above. His is sort of a drab olive/brown hybrid color. And it's definitely, definitely wool felt.

ukali1066

Practically Family
I did have that one in mind, but I'm actually liking the one from the latest movie more [ I haven't seen the film ]

It has a battered look that I think would suit my dishevelled appearance ;)

D.W. Suratt

One of the Regulars
I have a vintage stingy brim Champ I picked up for less than $20.00 off e-bay that I wear with brim turned up like the Rocky hat. It looks pretty close to the original.

BlackBrim

Familiar Face
BigSho said:
It is most likley a wool hat but it is (at least what we would call it) whats called a rex hat. It doesnt look like a felt to me which is why i would make the assumption. You can get a new one fro about 35 bucks.

Jeremy
http://www.hats-plus.com
I would like to get a hat that looks like the one Sylvester Stallone wore in the movie Rocky.But instead of wool I would like to get something in fur felt.What fur felt hat looks like the Rocky hat?Does a Dobbs Glenwood looks similar?Or perhaps the Dobbs Broadstreet with a 1 3/4 brim?Is there another type of fur felt hat that would be a closer match?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana