Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The School of Hard Knox

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
1940s Knox Foxhound

e2de422aa174dbc47ad8601cbd291d6c.jpg

ab9e32a349c9da0d67cfe0a584be1b87.jpg

342015792075694cdfe9a190aa724eb6.jpg

50072129fe879848de73f3f4fe13ebf4.jpg

110456978967a5f1c96968c5ac8b22f8.jpg

5aa48f58f67e1738d96190f4ed57d06a.jpg

12e2f6b4b545e2ddd3452a2fbdffd6d7.jpg

6ff0901ec1c74df20f5aff4d09268e50.jpg

fb5fb2e68b5bd7659d6117c2607410dd.jpg

Sent from my space aged handheld communication device and universal translator
Love it. And the underwelt as well.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Excellent Knox, Ant. Do we have any dates on when the Foxhound was offered?

Sent directly from my mind to yours.
The only dated ad I could find admittedly without extensive search was from Nov. 1941 .
I would bet that this hat is not too far from that date ... within a few years I think.
I know they were made for a number of years but the liner changed as did the style and dimensions as most did over time.
I'm kind of using what I know of the Cavanagh/Dobbs dating scheme because they bought Knox in 1932 and were pretty interchangeable from what I understand ... so the raw Knox debossment , the embroidered non covered tip, the store where it was sold (M.&H.H. Sichel) , the sweat band material , and overall style led me to my assessment

Last edited:

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
I've been waiting on this one. A Knox 15 from ebay. Sellers pic didn't do the hat justice, and neither do mine but give one a better idea of the cool brown felt and old copper color of the ribbon and bow with a twisted knot. I've wanted a nice Knox for some time, and the twisted knot is something I've loved since I saw them on the Gannon hats of @moontheloon and @Frunobulax

Nothing under the sweat except a stamp of the size, 7-3/8 and some pencil or crayon marks that mean nothing to me. The hat is a Long Oval (Ovalized Sixteenths in Knox jargon) and fits like a custom. It also has the Knox Custom Edge, aka Cavanagh Edge, that I really like. The reeded sweat and stitching of same are in good shape. The liner shows its age but is all there and legible. The felt looks really good and creases like a dream.... it's also dusty and will get a good brushing after the Lexol dries on the inside of the sweat.

The hat looks good, but I may give it a naptha bath anyway...

i-2RbMHGg-L.jpg

i-d4ckrKQ-L.jpg

i-2PNVvq9-L.jpg

i-MqwZdCd-L.jpg

i-qCVNGRt-L.jpg

i-n8TBThd-L.jpg

i-PhnjKTf-L.jpg

i-bxQJTTH-M.jpg

i-sRZD4ps-M.jpg

i-5xbC28w-M.jpg

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I've been waiting on this one. A Knox 15 from ebay. Sellers pic didn't do the hat justice, and neither do mine but give one a better idea of the cool brown felt and old copper color of the ribbon and bow with a twisted knot. I've wanted a nice Knox for some time, and the twisted knot is something I've loved since I saw them on the Gannon hats of @moontheloon and @Frunobulax

Nothing under the sweat except a stamp of the size, 7-3/8 and some pencil or crayon marks that mean nothing to me. The hat is a Long Oval (Ovalized Sixteenths in Knox jargon) and fits like a custom. It also has the Knox Custom Edge, aka Cavanagh Edge, that I really like. The reeded sweat and stitching of same are in good shape. The liner shows its age but is all there and legible. The felt looks really good and creases like a dream.... it's also dusty and will get a good brushing after the Lexol dries on the inside of the sweat.

The hat looks good, but I may give it a naptha bath anyway...

i-2RbMHGg-L.jpg

i-d4ckrKQ-L.jpg

i-2PNVvq9-L.jpg

i-MqwZdCd-L.jpg

i-qCVNGRt-L.jpg

i-n8TBThd-L.jpg

i-PhnjKTf-L.jpg

i-bxQJTTH-M.jpg

i-sRZD4ps-M.jpg

i-5xbC28w-M.jpg

fantastic hat!!!
tops in your collection in my opinion

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, Anthony. It's an immediate favorite. Looks a little like Whiskey felt and the copper ribbon just tops it off. Did you catch the way the felt on the left front pinch just falls into that incredible bash? Amazing. Now I just need a Knox 40, and a Knox 100....
you think I didn't catch that ? :)

I might be the biggest crease geek you know

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto