Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The smartest, most timeless sunglasses?

⇧ Just bought my girlfriend a pair of Clubmasters as she needed new sunglasses and she is a fan of the classics. It's funny, while I've noticed them before, now that I bought her a pair and am more aware, I see them all the time and on every age group and demographic.

Orvil Newton

One of the Regulars
Ray Ban Large Metal Aviators with G15 lenses.

rb3026-l2846-62-14-aviator-large-metal-ii-sunglasses.jpg

Casting my vote for Clubmasters as well, especially green lenses. Wayfarers (Blues Brothers style) are a close second.

Bought my girlfriend the tortoise frame, green lenses and gold rim combo - as classic a look as there is. Seems as if black is the first choice for the Wayfarers and tortoise is the first choice for the Clubmasters - just based on my not scientific at all observations.

Last edited:

ChazfromCali

One of the Regulars
"I can see you-
Your brown skin shinin' in the sun
You got that hair slicked back and those Wayfarers on, baby
I can tell you my love for you will still be strong
After the boys of summer have gone"

Why would a 9 -1/2 year lurker would make his first Fedora Lounge post in a thread about sun-glasses? lol. Anyway, I've always liked the Wayfarers.

Sonero

Practically Family
You can't go wrong with AO Aviators for the money. You choose the frames and lenses. The options are endless. I have maybe 5 different pair.

Lately though I have gotten into Tom Ford. He was the head designer for GUCCI for many years who recently went out on his own.

This is my latest from him among other designers. Love Sunglasses just as much as Fedoras and Jackets.

The CARY model in Dark Havana:

Unknown.jpeg

Way cooler than Rayban IMO and less traveled in.

Givenchy's take on the Wayfarer :

Unknown-1.jpeg

Dita Flight 006 :

Unknown-2.jpeg

Cazal 8022 :

Unknown-3.jpeg

Sunglasses hardly work with baseball caps but since I am getting into fedoras new avenues have been opened. :)

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I wore Wayfarers for years until I realized that they really didn't suit my face. One day I tried on a pair of Rayban tortoise-shells with larger, rounder lenses and was surprised how much better they looked. Btw, after seeing this thread yesterday I wandered over to Amazon and saw the Rayban Round metal glasses (RB3447). Gold with green glass, and supposedly modeled on John Lennon's "Revolver" shades. They're on the way.

Sonero

Practically Family
I wore Wayfarers for years until I realized that they really didn't suit my face. One day I tried on a pair of Rayban tortoise-shells with larger, rounder lenses and was surprised how much better they looked. Btw, after seeing this thread yesterday I wandered over to Amazon and saw the Rayban Round metal glasses (RB3447). Gold with green glass, and supposedly modeled on John Lennon's "Revolver" shades. They're on the way.

You should really buy Raybans from Sunglass Hut. They are owned by the manufacturer Luxotica which makes RayBans. I love the ease of shopping on Amazon but there is a lot of counterfeit merchandise circulating on it and Amazon does nothing about it.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You should really buy Raybans from Sunglass Hut. They are owned by the manufacturer Luxotica which makes RayBans. I love the ease of shopping on Amazon but there is a lot of counterfeit merchandise circulating on it and Amazon does nothing about it.
Thanks for the tip. I'll see how they are when they arrive.

Sonero

Practically Family
Thanks for the tip. I'll see how they are when they arrive.

Good.

I hate to rain on your purchase but I do A LOT of online shopping and I have been shocked with what Amazon allows to go on.

Besides counterfeit merchandise I think they also allow B grade merchandise to be sold that was either returned to stores by customers or dumped on them by the manufacturers themselves. You should have seen the pair of Levis 501's they tried to sell me ( Shipped and Sold by Amazon). There were stains all over the darn thing.

When you get your glasses go to a local brick and mortar store and have them verify the authenticity for you. Try to locate the same model in store ( Sunglass Hut ) and compare them side by side. If they aren't * exactly the same return them immediately.

Those look great. I wore Wayfarers for years only to discover that my small, straight boned and thin face is over powered by a heavy or thick looking frame like the Wayfarers. I switch to wire or wireless frames and was stunned at how better they looked on my face.

My next frame might just be the RB3447 - I really like it. Thanks for pointing it out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21