Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

the *stigma* with wearing red lipstick

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I've got a lot of red in my hair as well, and I totally feel for you having trouble finding a right shade of red that was complimentary! I probably ended up buying about 10 different shades of lipstick before finding the right one :eusa_doh: But, it really does complete the 'look'. I'm still working on the way they did their eyes though..with the eyeliner, I've always loved the look.

crystalface

One of the Regulars
Mysterygal--
For eyeliner, which is a really good trick that I use, is to place the pencil right at the very edge of the lashes, where they meet the lid. Wedge the eyeliner in that little space. Then, keeping it wedged, wiggle the pencil starting from the inner edge, to the outer edge. Don't draw a line.
Or you can use a liner brush to get the same line, by dipping it into water first then into a dark brown or black shadow.
:D

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Crystal, thanks :D do you only use eyeliner pencil, or do you use liquid eyeliner? the liquid seems to flow better [huh] But, I will try your tip :)

crystalface

One of the Regulars
I only use pencil... I'm not much for liquid eyeliner. I don't think I've found the right brand for me though.
I don't actually use pencils. I use the ones that roll-up automatically when you twist it. To me they seem to give off the same effect as liquid. :)

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I find that eye pencils are musch easier to manipulate (assuming they are soft) than liquid liner. Liquid liner takes practice!! Pencil liners are forgiving in that they can be smudged.

Polka Dot

A-List Customer
I haven't been able to muster up the confidence to walk out of the house with bright red lips, but I am a compulsive cosmetic purchaser and did pick up NYC's Retro Red. It's a really nice red!

P.S. Crystalface, I just noticed your new avatar. Cute!

Faye Valentine

LaMedicine said:
There are several ways to check the undertone of your skin, whether you are yellow based or blue based. One is, do you look better in a camel sweater/blouse/scarf around your neck, or does a clear gray one brings out a healthy color in you? Which color is the vein on your inner wrist-- greenish or blueish? Camel/greenish, you're yellow based: gray/bluish, you're blue based.

Once you find the right red for you, you should be able to receive favorable comments from your family and friends.

..But I have BOTH greenish and bluish veins on both my wrists...How else can u tell cuz my veins just dont want me to know!

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Faye Valentine said:
..But I have BOTH greenish and bluish veins on both my wrists...How else can u tell cuz my veins just dont want me to know!
lol ...oh dear! No worries! Another way to tell wether you are 'warm' or 'cool', is to look at your skin tone. Does it have a yellow hue or a pink hue? Also, put up to your face while looking in the mirror, something that is gold, and then something that is silver. Pink tone and gold; warm tones, yellow tone and silver; cool.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
I find that eye pencils are musch easier to manipulate (assuming they are soft) than liquid liner. Liquid liner takes practice!! Pencil liners are forgiving in that they can be smudged.
It takes a VERY steady hand! :D For me, anything that has a smooth texture is so much easier to apply!

crystalface

One of the Regulars
Polka Dot said:
I haven't been able to muster up the confidence to walk out of the house with bright red lips, but I am a compulsive cosmetic purchaser and did pick up NYC's Retro Red. It's a really nice red!

P.S. Crystalface, I just noticed your new avatar. Cute!
Awe! Thanks doll!

I love NYC makeup. Especially good when you can't afford the more expensive stuff! :D

If you don't want to do it during the day, try it at night, like my mother suggests lol when you go out on the town. ;)

crystalface

One of the Regulars
mysterygal said:
It takes a VERY steady hand! :D For me, anything that has a smooth texture is so much easier to apply!
I used to wear this bright blue liquid eyeliner when I was 17... It was by Urban Decay... LOVED it and used it all up! But yes, it does take a steady hand, and also takes practice.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
crystalface said:
I used to wear this bright blue liquid eyeliner when I was 17... It was by Urban Decay... LOVED it and used it all up! But yes, it does take a steady hand, and also takes practice.
lol I remember those days...good ol' 80's fashion! My other favorite was the blue mascara...very lovely

Tourbillion

Practically Family
I wouldn't say there is a stigma with red lipstick, it is just that a big change will be noticed.

Believe me your friends and family will get used to red. It isn't like blue lipstick or some other odd color.

p.s. I've been wearing L'Oreal's Buttoned Up Red lately at work and no one there has said anything. I did get asked for my e-mail in the elevator though, so I guess menfolk like it.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Tourbillion said:
I wouldn't say there is a stigma with red lipstick, it is just that a big change will be noticed.

Believe me your friends and family will get used to red. It isn't like blue lipstick or some other odd color.

p.s. I've been wearing L'Oreal's Buttoned Up Red lately at work and no one there has said anything. I did get asked for my e-mail in the elevator though, so I guess menfolk like it.
I agree. Everybody who has seen me lately has absolutely loved it. Hmm...buttoned up red huh? Is it a light red or dark? it sounds interesting, especially since you're a redhead too!

Tourbillion

Practically Family
Buttoned Up Red is the darker shade from the limited edition "Scarlet" colors.

I like it, but then I wear whatever shade I feel like, including bright orange, fuschia and other forbidden "redhead" colors.

LaMedicine

One Too Many
mysterygal said:
lol ...oh dear! No worries! Another way to tell wether you are 'warm' or 'cool', is to look at your skin tone. Does it have a yellow hue or a pink hue? Also, put up to your face while looking in the mirror, something that is gold, and then something that is silver. Pink tone and gold; warm tones, yellow tone and silver; cool.
Hate to contradict, mysterygal, but I had this whole color tone stuff done once.
What I have been taught is, pink/blue undertone/silver/cool, versus yellow undertone/gold/warm.
I am in the yellow undertone group, do very well with gold jewelrly, orange red, brownish red, terracotta, coral, but silver jewelry and true red (blue hue) and various shades of pink are an absolute no-no.
It so happens my two daughters (and hubby) have blue undertone, and they look absolutely yucky with my make up stuff, and do very well with what I look awful in.lol lol

Polka Dot

A-List Customer
Are "Forbidden Redhead Colors" really forbidden?

I don't know if any of you followed Project Runway this last season, but one of the finalists on the show, Laura, was a red lipstick devotee--and she had bright red hair. I actually couldn't stand her personality the way the show presented it, and she was a bit of a one-note designer. However, she always looked chic in her black ensembles, red lipstick, and pulled-back red hair.

As someone whose hair seems to grow in redder and redder, I want to know what red she uses!

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
LaMedicine said:
Hate to contradict, mysterygal, but I had this whole color tone stuff done once.
What I have been taught is, pink/blue undertone/silver/cool, versus yellow undertone/gold/warm.
I am in the yellow undertone group, do very well with gold jewelrly, orange red, brownish red, terracotta, coral, but silver jewelry and true red (blue hue) and various shades of pink are an absolute no-no.
It so happens my two daughters (and hubby) have blue undertone, and they look absolutely yucky with my make up stuff, and do very well with what I look awful in.lol lol
ok, I'm weird then (which shouldn't suprise anyone!:rolleyes: ) I've got the yellow skin tone, but I look awful in gold....whereas silver compliments me more [huh] But you know, you are probably right, I was trying to go off memory.

LaMedicine

One Too Many
mysterygal said:
ok, I'm weird then (which shouldn't suprise anyone!:rolleyes: ) I've got the yellow skin tone, but I look awful in gold....whereas silver compliments me more [huh] But you know, you are probably right, I was trying to go off memory.
That probably has more to do with the rest of your coloring. Hair and eyes, mostly. From what I know, while the blue/yellow, silver/gold is the basis of this system, there are quite a few people who are intermediate, so while the original system started out with 4 groups, now, there are 3 groups within each of the 4, with a total of 12 variations. You probably fit into one of these subgroups. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ