Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

the *stigma* with wearing red lipstick

BettyValentine

A-List Customer
Polka Dot said:
I don't know if any of you followed Project Runway this last season, but one of the finalists on the show, Laura, was a red lipstick devotee--and she had bright red hair. I actually couldn't stand her personality the way the show presented it, and she was a bit of a one-note designer. However, she always looked chic in her black ensembles, red lipstick, and pulled-back red hair.

As someone whose hair seems to grow in redder and redder, I want to know what red she uses!

Mine is red, and I go with Besame red or noir red from Besame. I blot the noir red down to just a purplish stain, or I blot it and add some of the gloss. That knocks the intensity down a little bit. Besame Red I wear almost right out of the tube, I just blot to fix the edges. Their Red Hot Red is too pinkish with my coloring, and Revlon's red is too orange. I also like Trucco's Blood Red, but that's got brown undertones.

It's pretty much a trial-and-error process. My mom is a redhead too, and we definitely can't wear the same colors.

You just reminded me that I have to go buy another Besame Red. Those cute little containers certainly don't stay closed very well in a purse.
xoxo,
BV

humblestumble

One of the Regulars
I love red lipstick and will wear nothing else. I just can't stand orange or pink lipstick, but I am the type of person to mix colors to get what I think looks good, particularly because I can't find anything that does. If I get my favorite color red I look horrible in it, my mom will make wide eyes at me and say "oh, honey, that red is too bright" She says the same thing about my bright red glasses, but there's nothing I can or want to do about that. So I have taken the colors I have and apply a layer at a time.

I used to wear this real maroon colored lipstick and I loved it - terrific quality and lasted forever, but it's too dark for my face. And then I bought this bright red, and that's too bright for my face, so once I find the dark one, I want to mix the two and see if I get something good for my tone. I'm very paleskinned with a pink hue, and I look horrible in grayish tones and orange colored lipstick. I just bought a lip brush yesterday to mix colors and to apply the liptstick better.

I wish I could've bought more lipstick to play with, but it seems that the prices have gotten too high for me, and I refuse to buy NYC. That suff just feels cheap to me and I will not wear what feels gross to me. Plus that stuff seems to wipe off really easily, and it seems almost transparent.

Ccc

New in Town
Perfect Red?

I'm still searching for the perfect red, as most are either too bright or too dark. So, in the meantime, I layer 2 to 3 different lip colors to achieve an okay look. It's not perfect, but if I go out with my husband, I try to make it work.

Now, if I could just find a "perfect" lip liner...:)

Renee

Familiar Face
Ccc said:
I'm still searching for the perfect red, as most are either too bright or too dark. So, in the meantime, I layer 2 to 3 different lip colors to achieve an okay look. It's not perfect, but if I go out with my husband, I try to make it work.

Now, if I could just find a "perfect" lip liner...:)

I had a horrible time finding a red lipstick I could wear, too. But a few months ago I ordered a sample of Besame's Red Veltvet lipstick. Bingo! Perfect red!

My problem is that I "eat" my lipstick, so that I'm left with nothing in the middle of my lips and a dark ring around the edges. I just ordered the new lip pencil duo in reds from Besame to see if filling in with a lip pencil first (advice someone on this board gave me) will solve the problem.

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sale

Walgreen's has L'Oreal on sale this week TWO lipsticks for 6.99! They are regularly about 10 bucks each US$. Now some of you can get your Crimson Joy and Fired Up.
I wore Max Factor's Dominatrix Red last night and received several compliments. They have it at the PX for 8.25 no tax, a little pricey for me but worth it since it is hard to find being as how I tend not to shop at Wal-mart. It has a red lip ink on one end that you apply and let dry for a minute, then paint on the nicely textured gloss. Love it.

Grace

Vendor
maisie said:
The best lipstick i have ever had was Mary Kay's Paprika, it is such a great colour, not too bright so great for both night and day and it hasn't got that nasty 'waxy' smell that some cheap lipsticks have! But it has been discontinued!!!!!!! ARGH!!:rage:

Ugh, stupid MK! They also discontinued the best shade of eye shadow ever, vintage gold! :(

I love red lipstick, though I don't wear it too often. I went to a Halloween part last night as a devil (my horns were rolls-it was sweet!) and I wore bright red lipstick. All night I was checking it, making sure it wasn't all worn off, or had migrated from my lips.

Here is a cool link that talks about different color pallettes for different eras. Kind cool:

http://www.return2style.de/amimakup.htm

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Grace said:
Ugh, stupid MK! They also discontinued the best shade of eye shadow ever, vintage gold! :(

I love red lipstick, though I don't wear it too often. I went to a Halloween part last night as a devil (my horns were rolls-it was sweet!) and I wore bright red lipstick. All night I was checking it, making sure it wasn't all worn off, or had migrated from my lips.

Here is a cool link that talks about different color pallettes for different eras. Kind cool:

http://www.return2style.de/amimakup.htm
I should hook you up with Mrs.MK! She was a Mary Kay salesperson (or whatever you call them!)..anyways, she's got lots of products left including the vintage gold.....but, only while supplies last ;) If you're interested , I'll have her pm you for more details.

lindylady

A-List Customer
Milani

Has anyone heard of Milani cosmetics? I was in Target yesterday and picked up a lovely shade of red called Do the Mango. It's a warm, brick red. Perfect either for everyday or evening, suitable to warm or neutral skin tones. At 2.59, I couldn't complain.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Tourbillion said:
Buttoned Up Red is the darker shade from the limited edition "Scarlet" colors.

I really like this one and the Decked in Red from that line. Some Like it Scarlett was too bluish on me.

My favorite red is a fairly recent discovery: Revlon's Racy Red from their Eva Mendes/cinema line. It is a very nice brownish/orangey warm red, and not too bright for everyday wear. That is what I'm wearing in my avatar, although you can barely see it.

Faye Valentine said:
..But I have BOTH greenish and bluish veins on both my wrists...How else can u tell cuz my veins just dont want me to know!

The vein test didn't work for me either. The veins on my wrist are as blue as blue gets - yet I'm a redhead with freckles and dark brown eyes! Most definitely an autumn.

Sunny

One Too Many
I've been trying to start wearing red lipstick myself. I have the "Some Like It Scarlett," but it seems too startling on me. I think it makes the rest of my skin look very pasty, a doughy kind of white. But I'm not sure if that's just because I'm not used to wearing red.

However, I haven't given up. I was at CVS on Friday and picked up two Revlon lipsticks since they were 2-for-1. (As Ricky would say, I am a tightskate. ;) ) One was a darker red, Blackberry. I've been wearing it since and I really like it. I had a brief but interesting conversation with my 21-year-old brother last night.

Me: I've been wearing red lipstick lately.
Bro (approvingly): Very '40s.
Me (pleased): That's the idea!
Bro: I wish blondes wore red lipstick.
Me (puzzled): I'm not really blonde...
Bro: I know. I mean I see these girls wearing brown and stuff and they look so washed out.

This brother of mine is NOT the most observant of chaps. Thus it was gratifying to know that he actually had noticed and not only approved but had made his own conclusions about red lipstick. :eusa_clap

Twinkle

Familiar Face
I wear red all the time, its the only colour lipstick I own, although I do what Coco Chanel used to do and blot it for day time use, this also cuts down on the 'smear' factor, for evening its high shine though....

I've worn it for years and years and I only get comments now when on the odd occasion I'm not wearing it..... Apparently its my trade mark....

I personally have a new love... After years of 'Simply Red' by Elizabeth Arden, I've moved onto Chanels new Allure range in Passion, it is a good quality, stay put red lippy with the cutest case ever... its a pop up design... heavenly :D

GOK

One Too Many
I only wear red too - in my case, it's MACs Russian Red. It takes a little bit of time but the way I apply my lippy means I only have to do it in the morning and it stays put until I take it off at night. I kid you not!

After exfoliating and moisturising my lips (with a touch of pure shea butter), I apply lip liner (at the moment it's B?©same) then a light layer of colour, which I then blot well with a tissue. I apply another layer of colour and blot well again. Then I apply a light coating of MAC's Blot powder (in the lightest shade), dust off with a large, soft brush, apply a final coat of colour and then blot for the last time. This not only gives me that 1940s super matte look but it really brings out the colour of the lippy and it stays put. It never bleeds or budges and I can eat, drink and even...<censored!> without it coming off. ;)

I found that when I was younger, I just couldn't wear 'true' reds (that comment about only women over the age of 30 looking good in red is certainly true for me) but I did get away with brown/reds. I think it probably is a case of trial and error, plus wearing colour according to your skintone, eyes, hair and clothing. Oh and always use a brush!

The B?©same lippies BTW don't like my lips at all - they constantly made a bid for freedom!

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
I actually think red shades suit me best. My skin is fair,but neutral and if it wasn't for a light smattering of freckles I'd be pretty washed out naturally.So,the brighter lipsticks brighten me up,otherwise my features sort of disapear.Even my shade of lips is the same as my skin.
So,I often base my shade preferences off of whatever shade of red hair I am currently wearing.
When I'm wearing a bright coppery shade I actually prefer the contrast of a blue or pink based red,but if I'm wearing a more vibrant unnatural shade of red I prefer to try to match my lipstick.
Right now,my hair is a more natural shade of auburn and I find I can pretty much wear them all.The more orange based autumnal shades do look very good right now,too.

katiemakeup

Practically Family
I think it also has to do with personality and comfort level... Ever since I started wearing lipstick I have always chose reds and bright colors... I think because the whole nude/natural/shimmery lip look is in, the reds & brighter colors seem out of place~ which is fine by me! :p

Sunny

One Too Many
Wednesday, a girl in my office stopped by to see my cubemate. I was working and had my headphones on, and she looked to be in a hurry. A few seconds later, I glanced up and she was staring at me, jaw dropped a little bit, very admiring. She loved how I looked! She said it was the lipstick. I did think it looked pretty good that day; I was wearing a red and white sweater vest over a white blouse. This girl is quite hip and up to date fashionably, and with taste, so her compliment really made my day. ;)

P

Paul

Sunny said:
Wednesday, a girl in my office stopped by to see my cubemate. I was working and had my headphones on, and she looked to be in a hurry. A few seconds later, I glanced up and she was staring at me, jaw dropped a little bit, very admiring. She loved how I looked! She said it was the lipstick. I did think it looked pretty good that day; I was wearing a red and white sweater vest over a white blouse. This girl is quite hip and up to date fashionably, and with taste, so her compliment really made my day. ;)

That's really nice:- be intersting to see if she folllows you with a red lipstick sometime in the future ! You might set a trend around the office oflol :)

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
I love MAC anything, especially thier reds. GOK what is the Russian Red? Is it a lipstick, lipglass. I've never been able to find it at my local counter:(

I tend to find that lip liner makes a huge difference as to the staying power of a lipstick, I lost mine a while back, I think someone thought it was an eyeliner and it wandered into another make up case.lol My sister and I have a communal MAC collection, we share, and whenever we go out our friends share too.:D It's quite fun but we all tend to lose an item every so often.

I find that Ruby Woo drys out my lips quite decently, so I layer lip balm under and over it, which doen't really help with longevity.

TabbyKat

New in Town
I'm a red lippy addict, honestly. In my early teens I did the brown liner with a lighter shade in the center (or nothing in the center! EEK!). Looking back, it looked awful. After I hit 16, I started moving to shades of pink. My hair was pink back then ( :eek: ) and I wanted my lippy to match. Once I got married and stuff, I tried out red. From there on out, I don't recall wearing anything that doesn't at least have a red undertone to it.

I wore my Elizabeth Taylor Ruby Red to work a few nights ago, instead of my usual light red. My supervisor actually stopped me while I was coming back from break to ask me what I was wearing because she thought it was an amazing colour. I have also had people tell me it is so strange to see a younger woman wearing red. I just smile, say thank you and ocassionaly throw in a "More women should try it." in the mix. ;)

Heh, I was cleaning a room last night that had a tube of Besame Red sitting on the bathroom counter, lots of vintage-y shoes in the closet, and Besame face powder on the desk. Made me wish I could have met her!lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points