Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Stratoliner Society {VINTAGE}

Found in the bottom of the Strat box after I posted.....
15170066010361095396479.jpg

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
image.jpg
I have a #52 block how much difference from the 51? I missed out on an auction for a 51 so I was wondering what I missed.
Greetings All:
CS77, maybe this will help. This is a#51 7 1/8. The basal circumference is 23” and 20 1/2-3/4” where the tape is. Base to tape is @4 1/4”. My math says the % change per inch is between 2.3-2.5. That may give you an idea af taper idk.
Be well. Bowen

Here is my recently acquired very early 60's example.....in it's origional box. Picked it up pretty reasonably but it will be just for show.....it does not fit my 7 1/2 to 7 5/8 head:( it is a size 7. Has seen very little wear....and is a good example for the felt of this era....and unfortunately my only vintage Strat.
Perhaps somday if I can replace it with one my size I can pass it along....
As to the hat....it is a interesting sort of light to medium grey. It has a 2 1/2 inch brim, 5 3/8 open crown and a nice 2 inch sweat. Sewn liner, cannot see or get to the blocking tags...
M
View attachment 104319 View attachment 104320 View attachment 104321 View attachment 104322 View attachment 104323
Very nice. I wonder if there is a 7 1/2 fancy European hat waiting for a trade. This is Stefan's size.

Cornshucker77

Call Me a Cab
View attachment 104330
Greetings All:
CS77, maybe this will help. This is a#51 7 1/8. The basal circumference is 23” and 20 1/2-3/4” where the tape is. Base to tape is @4 1/4”. My math says the % change per inch is between 2.3-2.5. That may give you an idea af taper idk.
Be well. Bowen
Thanks Abba. It does appear that the 51 has more taper than the 52. Now I know what I am looking for . Thanks again.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
We ought to establish a block and flange exchange. I don’t need a block very often but it would be nice to trade out equipment with the good folks on here when needed.

Also, I think the hat looks perfect just as you have it!
That would be nice. I've been looking for a 52 block and 2 5/8 brim flange for sometime now.

I already changed it...
Bradford_7_X_Hat_Conversion_1.png

Bradford_7_X_redo_6.jpg

Bradford_Modified_6.jpg

Last edited:

Cornshucker77

Call Me a Cab
I'm looking for a 52 if you'd consider a trade.

I originally blocked this hat on the 51...
Bradford_Blue_Shirt_2a.jpg
I would like to keep the 52. It is a 7 1/8 and it measures only 22 5/8 at the base so it is even a little small for me. My head measures 22 1/2 so I could use one a little larger than the one I have. But, I still want to keep this 52. I would buy your 51 if your interested in selling it. You can send me a personal message with your asking price if you're interested. By the way that hat looks great. :)

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I would like to keep the 52. It is a 7 1/8 and it measures only 22 5/8 at the base so it is even a little small for me. My head measures 22 1/2 so I could use one a little larger than the one I have. But, I still want to keep this 52. I would buy your 51 if your interested in selling it. You can send me a personal message with your asking price if you're interested. By the way that hat looks great. :)
Yeah, the 22 5/8 would be way too small for me. I have a 7 1/8 LO block that measures out to 23 inches. That works out perfect, actually, for a head that measures out to 22 3/4, a 7 1/4.
I'd probably be more interested in trading than selling if I could find one in my size, that is. If I got money out of it I'd end up using it for something else and then I'd be out a block.

Last edited:

Cornshucker77

Call Me a Cab
Yeah, the 22 5/8 would be way too small for me. I have a 7 1/8 LO block that measures out to 23 inches. That works out perfect, actually, for a head that measures out to 22 3/4, a 7 1/4.
I'd probably be more interested in trading than selling if I could find one in my size, that is. If I got money out of it I'd end up using it for something else and then I'd be out a block.
That's fine. I understand completely. I've got a friend who is looking for a 7 1/4 block for me. If he finds something I think you might be interested in I 'll let you know. :)

Cornshucker77

Call Me a Cab
It's interesting how two 7 1/8 blocks can measure so differently. Tough to find the correct measurements for what a person needs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider