Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Stratoliner Society {VINTAGE}

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
It's interesting how two 7 1/8 blocks can measure so differently. Tough to find the correct measurements for what a person needs.
I learned something from Art Fawcett regarding blocks a while back and it has proven to be a useful bit of good advice. Don't go by the size that's stamped on the block. As you see, we both have blocks that are stamped 7 1/8 but with different measurements. Per Art, you want to find a block that measures 1/4 inch larger than what your head measures to make up for the sweat installation. For example, my head measures out at 22 3/4, (7 1/4). Therefore, I need a block that measures 23 inches in circumference. So when you're searching for a block go by the circumference measurement rather than going by the size stamped on the block.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
I learned something from Art Fawcett regarding blocks a while back and it has proven to be a useful bit of good advice. Don't go by the size that's stamped on the block. As you see, we both have blocks that are stamped 7 1/8 but with different measurements. Per Art, you want to find a block that measures 1/4 inch larger than what your head measures to make up for the sweat installation. For example, my head measures out at 22 3/4, (7 1/4). Therefore, I need a block that measures 23 inches in circumference. So when you're searching for a block go by the circumference measurement rather than going by the size stamped on the block.
Grettings All:
Good points all. Thanks TJ.
Concerning differences in same size and form blocks excluding variances during manufacture.
I’m thinking these 2 “tapered” blocks are different heights. That would account for the difference.
Also, if you need @ a size larger block but don’t have a block, Tim at Alley Kat Hat had a post where he “sacrificed” a felt blank (or hat) over the block, tied it off, trimmed it and there you have a size up. Smart, slick, cheap. Smart guy!!
Just a thought.
Be well. Bowen

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Grettings All:
Concerning differences in same size and form blocks excluding variances during manufacture.
I’m thinking these 2 “tapered” blocks are different heights. That would account for the difference.
Also, if you need @ a size larger block but don’t have a block, Tim at Alley Kat Hat had a post where he “sacrificed” a felt blank (or hat) over the block, tied it off, trimmed it and there you have a size up. Smart, slick, cheap. Smart guy!!
Just a thought.
Be well. Bowen
Yup. Old hatter's trick. I've done that too. I got about an 1/8 more that way.

I think the two tapered blocks you mentioned are different from the two blocks that CS and I were discussing. The tapered block I have that's like yours is 23 1/4 in diameter by 5 3/4 tall.

Last edited:

Cornshucker77

Call Me a Cab
Good advice. How do you care for your blocks? Any tips?

Cornshucker77

Call Me a Cab
Grettings All:
Just a thought.
Be well. Bowen
I bought some old blocks that have the felt on them for that very purpose, I suppose. I was thinking about doing that with the 52 block that I have to get over the 22 5/8 inch base size. Like Terry said I could get it up 1/8" to 22 3/4 which is what I need.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
To be honest, I haven't really thought about doing anything special by way of care. I do however, store my blocks in plastic bags and then put them in boxes, if that helps. Another thing I do is put plastic wrap around my blocks when I'm blocking a hat to keep them from getting wet in the process. It will also help to keep the old varnish from sticking to the hat.

Cornshucker77

Call Me a Cab
To be honest, I haven't really thought about doing anything special by way of care. I do however, store my blocks in plastic bags and then put them in boxes, if that helps. Another thing I do is put plastic wrap around my blocks when I'm blocking a hat to keep them from getting wet in the process. It will also help to keep the old varnish from sticking to the hat.
Thanks Terry. I was just curious as I don't do anything, but store them in a dry place. Dang things are expensive even used,so I wanted to make sure I can preserve them for as long as I can.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Terry. I was just curious as I don't do anything, but store them in a dry place. Dang things are expensive even used,so I wanted to make sure I can preserve them for as long as I can.
You're welcome buddy. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Oh yeah, they're definitely expensive. A person can run up a lot of expense collecting them. I have a few but not nearly as many as I'd like to have. I've got an idea on how to make my own, though. I'll probably go out this weekend to get what I need and give it a try.

Cornshucker77

Call Me a Cab

Oh yeah, they're definitely expensive. A person can run up a lot of expense collecting them. I have a few but not nearly as many as I'd like to have. I've got an idea on how to make my own, though. I'll probably go out this weekend to get what I need and give it a try.
Cool. Hope it works out well. Would love to see them when you're finished..

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Hreetings All:
77, for what its worth, i use several coats of Johnsons floor paste wax on mine. I coat/shine them until it looks like all the grain is sealed. This really helps when removing hats. They slide on and off so much easier. I figure if it worked on floors for ages it probably would on blocks. Not sure if that’s kosher but no problems so far.
Be well. Bowen

Cornshucker77

Call Me a Cab
Hreetings All:
77, for what its worth, i use several coats of Johnsons floor paste wax on mine. I coat/shine them until it looks like all the grain is sealed. This really helps when removing hats. They slide on and off so much easier. I figure if it worked on floors for ages it probably would on blocks. Not sure if that’s kosher but no problems so far.
Be well. Bowen
Thanks for the tip.

40Cal

One Too Many
late 1940's to early 1950's Stratoliner in Gray.
IMG_5025.JPG
IMG_5026.JPG
IMG_5027 (1).JPG

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.

A good tip about making your own wood block....take it slow.....real slow....get a good wood rasp and some files and lots of heavy grit sand paper and a few shots of some whiskey....for you not the wood! LOL!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Takatāpui