Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE SUNBODY ASSOCIATION

RJR

New fine weave, 3" brim. Bought as an open crown. Shaping into a cattleman's crease was pretty easy. I think the brim is going to need a little more work, but happy with the hat overall.
1cde592bc39e9008f0d1217ea77b3f02.jpg
bcc2662944a1142766750a727453f893.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Looks good so far.

I'm looking at the 3" SunBody fedora (Product #: hg3+F) in standard palm. I'm after a hat to keep the sun off me but not something as refined or delicate as a Panama hat. I'd like something that I don't have to baby and hide from a light rain.

Do any of you have this hat? Any thoughts or recommendations?
The Sunbody I have is very similar to that one. Mine is also made from the Guatemalan standard palm, except it hasn't been treated to give it that lighter/whiter color so it has what they describe as an "oak" color (i.e., it looks like natural straw). I haven't had it long enough to wear in rain, but I filled our kitchen sink with water and soaked the hat for two minutes before I re-shaped it, so I can't imagine rain will have any negative effects (though it might require a little reshaping if it gets wet enough). In fact, Sunbody recommends "dousing" their hats occasionally if you wear them in dry weather in order to "freshen" them and make them last longer; I don't think that's advisable with most straw hats.

Straw, by nature, isn't as durable as fur felt, so a little "babying" is probably necessary. But the straw Sunbody uses is definitely more substantial than what you'd find on an inexpensive straw hat like the ones sold in "gardening" and "tourist" shops, so that shouldn't be a concern. I have no experience with real Panama hats, so I don't know how they compare to those with regards to being "delicate".

All things considered I'm very happy with my Sunbody hat, and when finances permit I'm planning to get the model you're looking at (except with a 2-1/2" brim). I'd recommend them, but the only way you'll know for yourself is to get one.

The Sunbody I have is very similar to that one. Mine is also made from the Guatemalan standard palm, except it hasn't been treated to give it that lighter/whiter color so it has what they describe as an "oak" color (i.e., it looks like natural straw). I haven't had it long enough to wear in rain, but I filled our kitchen sink with water and soaked the hat for two minutes before I re-shaped it, so I can't imagine rain will have any negative effects (though it might require a little reshaping if it gets wet enough). In fact, Sunbody recommends "dousing" their hats occasionally if you wear them in dry weather in order to "freshen" them and make them last longer; I don't think that's advisable with most straw hats.

Straw, by nature, isn't as durable as fur felt, so a little "babying" is probably necessary. But the straw Sunbody uses is definitely more substantial than what you'd find on an inexpensive straw hat like the ones sold in "gardening" and "tourist" shops, so that shouldn't be a concern. I have no experience with real Panama hats, so I don't know how they compare to those with regards to being "delicate".

All things considered I'm very happy with my Sunbody hat, and when finances permit I'm planning to get the model you're looking at (except with a 2-1/2" brim). I'd recommend them, but the only way you'll know for yourself is to get one.
Well, I went ahead and placed the order. I like the looks of the 2.5" brim better, but I figured that sun protection trumped aesthetics for this hat. Still, for SunBody three inches qualifies as a stingy brim.

Well, I went ahead and placed the order. I like the looks of the 2.5" brim better, but I figured that sun protection trumped aesthetics for this hat. Still, for SunBody three inches qualifies as a stingy brim.
The first time I wore mine I was surprised by how much sun protection the allegedly 2-1/2" brim provided. Apparently Sunbody's brim widths are more "guesstimates" than actual measurements, because my 2-1/2" brim actually measures 2-9/16" on the left side, 2-5/8" on the right side, and 2-3/4" front and rear--a dimensional brim with nearly the same measurements as my Akubra Fed IVs. :D

The first time I wore mine I was surprised by how much sun protection the allegedly 2-1/2" brim provided. Apparently Sunbody's brim widths are more "guesstimates" than actual measurements, because my 2-1/2" brim actually measures 2-9/16" on the left side, 2-5/8" on the right side, and 2-3/4" front and rear--a dimensional brim with nearly the same measurements as my Akubra Fed IVs. :D
That doesn't surprise me. Even their staged photos depict the hats as being a bit unrefined. They aren't trying to be an
Ultra Fino Panama hat and I like their unpretentious nature. I'll use it as intended and save my Panama for more dressier occasions.

How is your hat holding up? What do you think of the oak colored versions?

Reactions: RBH
That doesn't surprise me. Even their staged photos depict the hats as being a bit unrefined. They aren't trying to be an
Ultra Fino Panama hat and I like their unpretentious nature. I'll use it as intended and save my Panama for more dressier occasions.

How is your hat holding up? What do you think of the oak colored versions?
That's one of the things I like about them as well. They aren't trying to pretend they're "high end" straw hats, simply good straw hats that will help to protect the wearer from sun damage.

Mine is holding up very well, but I've only had it since March. I wore it quite a lot during the summer months, and even wore it today 'cause the temperature here was in the high-80s (°F). They're predicting temps in the low-90s until Saturday, so I'll probably wear it every day this week. I've read Sunbody hats are thicker than most straw hats, especially Panamas, so it's still a little warm in such high temperatures. But it's definitely cooler than any of my fur felt hats under the same conditions, and if I really need to cool down I can dunk it in cold water and wear it wet. :D

I like the "oak" color, but in person it looks pretty much like any other straw hat...

ZmC0t9d.jpg

...which is fine by me because it gives it more of a casual appearance.

That's one of the things I like about them as well. They aren't trying to pretend they're "high end" straw hats, simply good straw hats that will help to protect the wearer from sun damage.

Mine is holding up very well, but I've only had it since March. I wore it quite a lot during the summer months, and even wore it today 'cause the temperature here was in the high-80s (°F). They're predicting temps in the low-90s until Saturday, so I'll probably wear it every day this week. I've read Sunbody hats are thicker than most straw hats, especially Panamas, so it's still a little warm in such high temperatures. But it's definitely cooler than any of my fur felt hats under the same conditions, and if I really need to cool down I can dunk it in cold water and wear it wet. :D

I like the "oak" color, but in person it looks pretty much like any other straw hat...

ZmC0t9d.jpg

Looks perfect. Did you do the pug yourself?

Has anyone had experience with the SunBody homburg? The price is right and I'd like to get one, but SunBody isn't the brand that comes to mind when ordering a dress hat. I won't wear it that often and have a hard time justifying a more expensive straw/palm homburg for the few warm weather outdoor events where such a hat is appropriate. Is the SunBody hat a nice enough homburg to go with a linen or seersucker suit?

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here

ZmC0t9d.jpg

My feelings on my Sunbody hats. I have the 3' regular palm and a 2 3/4" custom oak-colored hat that I remember getting at the same time you received yours. As I've said a few times before, with the Sunbodys you don't have to worry about getting rained on, which is a pretty big consideration in this neck of the swamp. This summer I had to do some travelling, and it was the Sunbody that went with me. They're just solid, really useful hats.

tropicalbob

Has anyone had experience with the SunBody homburg? The price is right and I'd like to get one, but SunBody isn't the brand that comes to mind when ordering a dress hat. I won't wear it that often and have a hard time justifying a more expensive straw/palm homburg for the few warm weather outdoor events where such a hat is appropriate. Is the SunBody hat a nice enough homburg to go with a linen or seersucker suit?
I wear my custom all the time with jackets and ties. You can also request a brim binding, or you can substitute another ribbon, as Zombie did. Right now I'm trying to decide between the Homburg and the Gambler, which also looks kind of nice. I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised at how amenable they were when i ordered the custom hat, and even more surprised when they didn't sock me with any additional charges. Pretty good deal.

I wear my custom all the time with jackets and ties. You can also request a brim binding, or you can substitute another ribbon, as Zombie did. Right now I'm trying to decide between the Homburg and the Gambler, which also looks kind of nice. I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised at how amenable they were when i ordered the custom hat, and even more surprised when they didn't sock me with any additional charges. Pretty good deal.
Thank you. I didn't know they would accept custom orders. Very cool. What kind of delivery time did you have with the custom?

tropicalbob

Thank you. I didn't know they would accept custom orders. Very cool. What kind of delivery time did you have with the custom?
About a week and a half, and they apologized for the delay (!). For quick turn-around times they're up there with the folks at Hats Direct, who got my last Fed IV to me in five days. From Australia.

About a week and a half, and they apologized for the delay (!). For quick turn-around times they're up there with the folks at Hats Direct, who got my last Fed IV to me in five days. From Australia.
Wow! That's some real customer service! It's nice to know that there are companies out there who know how to do more than take your money. Looks like I'm running out of excuses for not getting a "straw" homburg.

tropicalbob

Any chance of seeing some photos of your homburg?
I haven't decided on the Homburg yet. Sorry if I was unclear. So far it's just the 3" brim fedora and the custom, but with all the rain we're getting I may just go ahead with either the Homburg or the Gambler. The only problem I have with the latter is that it's often associated with golfing and I'm just not the golfing, country club type.

I haven't decided on the Homburg yet. Sorry if I was unclear. So far it's just the 3" brim fedora and the custom, but with all the rain we're getting I may just go ahead with either the Homburg or the Gambler. The only problem I have with the latter is that it's often associated with golfing and I'm just not the golfing, country club type.
The only confusion was in my head. I was just so interested in seeing the hat that I forgot that you were still making your decision.
As to the gambler, associations to golf be damned! If you like it, get it and wear it with panache! I have a wool felt gambler by Beretta that I wear infrequently, but it always makes me smile when I do. It is the quintessential sporting clays hat and I like it even if no one else does (wool felt and all).

The only time I've had any shipping delays when ordering from either Hats Direct or Everything Australian (when they had what I wanted in stock, that is) was when I forgot to take the time difference into account and ordered late in the week. Australia Post doesn't work on Saturdays or Sundays, so my order sat immobile in Australia for two days.

As to the gambler, associations to golf be damned! If you like it, get it and wear it with panache!
Preach it loud, Brother! :D

I know that it's time to be moving from straw hats, Panama hats, and the like. Still, its in the 80s here and I'm enjoying my SunBody 3 inch "fedora" so much I'm putting together another order. I've decided on the Homburg (thanks to the help from the Lounge) but I'm also looking at adding the Outlaw to my order.

Does anyone have any experience with the Outlaw? I'd also appreciate and photos of it in the wild.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21