Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Sunday Drive

Speaking of sunday drives...

My darling bride and I do long range expeditions as well as Sunday drives. It is our great pleasure to get in the car/Land Rover/Hummer H1/monster truck, or whatever is handy and pick a direction and just go. For entertainment Herself brings a book and reads out loud to me as we drive. Rather like a live "book on tape." When I need to concentrate on the road (intersections, etc.) I "pause" her for a moment and then when the road is clear I tell her "the last thing I remember is when..." and that is where she will pick the story back up. When I see something she would enjoy while driving I interrupt her so she can pop her head up and take in the view.

During our massive Manama, Bahrain to London overland expedition she must have read more than a dozen books out loud.

I know not everybody can read in the car with their head down but it works for us quite well. It started by reading stories to the boys in the back seat. Sometimes we will just go for a drive in an evening just to finish a book if we have one left hanging!

HeyMoe

Practically Family
Here in Vermont they have the "251 Club" which denotes the number of cities and towns in the state. Premise to visit each town, take a photo in the town center and once you have hit all 251, join the club.

My wife and I have decided that next spring we are going to start on our 251 quest (mostly on sunday drives) - most of it in our 1939 dodge.

http://www.vt251.com/

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
We came home after church today and it was such a beautiful day we decided to get in the old '48 Plymouth and take a nice, long, leisurely drive. There's not a much better way to spend a beautiful Sunday afternoon than taking an old fashioned "Sunday drive" in the country.

Big Man

It was such a nice day today, I decided to take the old ’48 Plymouth out for a Sunday drive.

I left out from the house and headed to the back roads along Paddy’s Creek. I never get tired of driving along backcountry dirt roads, especially with a view like this.

As I came to the end of the dirt road and at the intersection of the paved highway, I saw an older model car pass by. By the time I reached the intersection, the other car was already on down the road and around the curve. Wanting to see just what kind of old car it was, I drove a little faster than usual trying to catch up. Finally, I managed to catch the car and when they saw me coming up behind like some deranged maniac, they pulled over at a country church parking lot. We talked about our old cars for a while. I found out the driver of the red ’49 Ford lived on the other side of the lake from me and occasionally drove around in this area. It was good to find another old car enthusiast so close by.

It was a nice ride on a beautiful day.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I don't know about the rest of you, but we have had some great weather here, 70s yesterday. So a bunch of us went up into the mountains on our motorcycles, a great day! In the end, because of some ice still on the dirt roads, we were only down to three of us in the end. Not sure why, but every time there was ice on the right side of the road, there was some one on the left in a Jeep or some other 4X4, so we could not get over on the dry. A little bit of white knuckles, must be a conspiracy. Fortunately, that was only about five miles or so out of a 100, the rest was clear black top and incredible scenery!

Big Man

I don't know about the rest of you, but we have had some great weather here, 70s yesterday. So a bunch of us went up into the mountains on our motorcycles, a great day! In the end, because of some ice still on the dirt roads, we were only down to three of us in the end. Not sure why, but every time there was ice on the right side of the road, there was some one on the left in a Jeep or some other 4X4, so we could not get over on the dry. A little bit of white knuckles, must be a conspiracy. Fortunately, that was only about five miles or so out of a 100, the rest was clear black top and incredible scenery!

Sounds like a great ride.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
I don't remember our family ever doing a Sunday drive since in my parts there was no place to go on a Sunday. But we did tons of driving trips, complete with stops for my dad to go pee. It's a great way to see the place where you live and beyond. Someone mentioned kids watching TV in the back of vans and SUVs - one of my friends is always complaining about his sons doing that in the back of his van, or when not in the van, watching their iPads. Modern technology is pretty awesome, but you have to keep it under control or it will control you and you'll miss the world passing by...

Pat Spade

Familiar Face
my first post here, so Hello to everyone...
well in fact it was a Monday drive, but I didnt had to work and weather was just beautifull, so I took my old Peugeot for a very nice ride along small roads in german autuum:
ebay.nov.15 009klein.jpg

jkingrph

Practically Family
I spent a few months at RAF Little Rissington back in 91 when we turned the old all but abandoned training base into a contingency hospital for Desert Storm. We had some personnel housed over at Fairford where were flying B 52 missions against the Iraqi forces. Runways at Little Rissington were so deteriorated that any casualties we received came in through RAF Upper Heyford. I was housed with folks from the 4 detachments of the 10th USAF Contingency hospital( from Florida to California) in some unused housing at RAF Brize Norton, at Carterton.

It was late Jan through the end of March, so very cold, lots of snow, and wet so the only drives were when we could rent a car and get out some.

Big Man

First time posting a video file with the new Lounge software format, so we'll see how it works.

Although it's not Sunday, we did take a little excursion after going to breakfast with the family to celebrate my grandson's birthday. There is a State Park near the house where I like to visit. Although the drab colors of Winter are almost all there is now, this drive is still a pretty one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points