Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Ultimate Blonde Thread

Vivienne

New in Town
I'd like to have a Monroe-ish color myself, but I'm afraid lightening my hair like that would make it all dry like my mother's...would it be worth it in the end? (I'm rather fond of my hair as it is...but there's no red in it.)

bettybabe

New in Town
You got the right idea going, Jayem! Each time, get a little bit lighter. Eventually, your hair will become used to it so you can afford to go a little bit lighter each time! Congrats!!!;)

magnolia76

One of the Regulars
I've found that the best way to go blonde is to do it gradually. I started out with my natural color which was a very dark ashy brown. After about 6 months and three or four full highlighting sessions, the ends of my hair were pretty light brown. Then you start doing a one process and highlights. The one process being the light brown color on the ends and the highlights being light blonde. You are able to take good care of your hair between sessions and it won't feel like straw! But every three weeks for touchups...$$$$

Also, blonde made me look washed out, so I became a redhead and it is SO fun!

shepkatt

Familiar Face
My natural hair color is dark brown.. but I started going grey when I was 21.. so a few years ago my hair stylist told me to just give up on brown and go blonde. It lasts longer in between coloring sessions.. When I was brown or red as soon as my hair started to grow out the grey roots would make my brown or red hair look as though it was levitating above my scalp.. Had to color every 3 weeks or so.. MUY expensive. So I started gradually going blonde and over a period of about 6 months was completely blonde. Can go about 6 or 7 weeks now between colorings which is very good for my wallet!

Naama

Practically Family
bettybabe said:
Eventually, your hair will become used to it

Unfortunately not really, you're hair will get stressed with every single new bleaching, I had horrible hair break, but since I wear my hair quite short (never over shoulders) It's ok.

Naama

Rainbow

Familiar Face
want to go blonde....

Hey beautiful ladies....I'm a bit older (60 yrs old), but I have quite a bit of gray (and some light brown) and I think it's time to go blonde. Do you think ash blonde would work? I've had light blonde when I was younger, but I wonder what ash blonde would look like? I'll take any advice you can give....

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
well...I hate to say this, but if your older than yes. Go for it, but I HATE ash grey on younger girls...it looks kinda grey. So it may make you look younger without looking bad.;) if you know what I mean.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I am a professional hairstylist. The standard practice is to use a natural or neutral color if the client has more than 50% grey. Since grey hair is actually the absence of pigment, an ash blond might pick up more of the green base. As has been said, pictures would help.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Generalizing BROADLY I tend to see the light golden browns or brown/blond highlighting mixtures looking warmer and more natural on older/gray-haired women than some of the blonder ones. A lot of ash blonds look grayish themselves and it doesn't warm your complexion, and brighter, warmer blonds can look more "wishful" than convincing sometimes. (It all comes back to your colouring and your stylist's skill, though)

Soft warm browns tend to look less contrived to my eye. That's NOT always true though and you shouldn't let it stop you from trying blond. You can always put lowlights into it.

cupcake

Familiar Face
Gentlemen prefer blondes

I'm currently working my way toward a platinum blonde and have tried (but failed) to find a decent source of vintage blondes and their varying shades.
I figured this would be a great place to start. So ladies, do you know where I could find such a place? do you have photographs and examples of vintage blondes?
Share, please :)

HosManHatter

One of the Regulars
I like all flavors! :)

It`s more about the woman and her personality and how she acts than about what color or type of hair she has.

...still,I am partial to brunettes here. ;)

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
Blondes in Living Color!

lakefire.jpg

joeyheathertonflirt.jpg

ZsaZsacolor.jpg

CarolLynleyPearl.jpg

gracekellytulle.jpg

jayne_mansfield_platinum_rose.jpg

CarrollBakerpolarbear.jpg

cupcake

Familiar Face
Cherry Lips, I knew I could count on you!
Those are fantastic pictures. It's harder to see the shade in black and white so colour photos are a real treat.
Would you say a platinum or light ash is most vintage accurate? Like Binky said it seems close to no colour at all seems the way to go.

To answer your question Binky, It's already nearly there! I went from dyed black and 7.5 hours later was blonde! I've just had another set of foils so it's a medium ash blonde. My hairdresser has asked me to decide what shade of pale pale blonde I want to aim for so here I am!

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
"The Hitchcock Blonde"

...had to be icy, cool, classy and very, VERY sophisticated. The man had taste.

Lets put it this way, Marilyn Monroe or Jane Mansfield would not have been the type of blonde Alfred Hitchcock would have put in one of his pictures[huh] (i'm not saying that Monroe or Mansfield were not cool or anything, i'm just saying that they were not the type of blondes he liked. :) )

here are 3 of his very cool blonde leading ladies

Tippi Hedren
07z8lwysd3oaaos.jpg

Grace Kelly
grace-kelly.jpg

Kim Novak
nw4ma7m7vyqkwnmy.jpg

Edit to add more Hitchcock Blondes :p

Eve Marie Saint
UAXTD00Z.jpg

and her ;)
ingrid-bergman-1.jpg