Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Umbrella

Charlie Huang

Practically Family
Lear, absolutely stunning. Looking at the hallmarks, it was made in 2009.

I plan to get a Brigg in the future, the silver malacca PoW one in silk for very special ocassions (Ascot, Trooping the Colour, etc).

Last edited:

Charlie Huang

Practically Family
Charlie, it wasn't a lot of rattle. Just a subtle "click" every time it touched ground. Almost anybody would say it's normal. You understand, I'm fussy! It started to bother me because I knew the metal was rubbing on wood. And I wanted it to feel as solid and silent as a walking stick.

I know, I'm just weird. But I got it where I wanted it, and easily.

- Bill

I think a more elegant way would be to sew a band of nylon (same as the canopy) at those points. As for the section where the points touch the crook neck, a rubber ring is usually used (I've seen this done on a T. Fox).

Lear

One of the Regulars
Lear, that's an extraordinarily handsome umbrella! The epitome of true class. Congratulations and thanks for posting these pictures.

I particularly admire the wood grain. Could you tell us what kind it is?

- Bill

Yep, it's oak all right. Previous pics didn't really show the grain. Have just discovered macro mode on new camera.

Lear, absolutely stunning. Looking at the hallmarks, it was made in 2009.

I plan to get a Brigg in the future, the silver malacca PoW one in silk for very special ocassions (Ascot, Trooping the Colour, etc).

Be aware that the standard PoW comes in a two-piece construction (not solid stick).

I think the better question would be: "Where can I pay money to get my hands on such a beauty?"

Here: http://www.swaineadeney.co.uk You'll have to custom order. Pure luck I was passing that day. Would probably have gone by day's end.

Woodfluter

Practically Family
I think a more elegant way would be to sew a band of nylon (same as the canopy) at those points. As for the section where the points touch the crook neck, a rubber ring is usually used (I've seen this done on a T. Fox).

That's a fine idea, Charlie! Thank you.

One issue here, if I want to accomplish the complete removal of any "clicking" sound, is the need for some thickness. I suspect that one layer of nylon wouldn't accomplish that, although several (folded over) could. Of course, the thickness is critical as too much would impede the movement of the runner.

Now that I know this works, I'm going to remove the current wrappings (when I have time) and replace them with something. I might simply re-do the wrappings but more carefully and with a different way of securing the ends.

Thanks again,
- Bill

Charlie Huang

Practically Family
Be aware that the standard PoW comes in a two-piece construction (not solid stick).

Yes, I know that but IMHO, there is hardly any difference in feel and weight. You can't have a solid stick malacca (even though I want to) as malacca of that length is more or less as rare as hen's teeth (and highly expensive; I'd say you'll need to fork our £600 more so a silk umbrella would cost around £1,200 at least) and it would be more profitable to make several handles than one whole umbrella with that...

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
never knew I/we needed one of these as the good lady has loads of modern ones she saw this on the car boot and 'needed' it for the Edwardian coat/umbrella stand at the bottom of our stairs, however on checking it was too good for just sitting there as it works perfectly (though not tested in the rain yet as too windy).
Anyway at a whole English pound I just had to buy it, getting it home I found it was a 'Fox' and whilst a 'Princess' model that it fitted my stumpy stature well!
skz4ph.jpg
3517u5e.jpg

359ecg3.jpg
332mf43.jpg

20rv5gw.jpg

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
I know AC, but what is a chap to do when confronted with such a deal!
I checked them out on the net after I bought it Edward as before I knew nothing, now I still
" know nowt" but it's slightly more than I did and I shall keep the old eyes peeled for a gents item in as good or better condition, don't get me wrong this one is good and sound and usable but has some light rust? stains to the usual areas I am told by she who uses brollies!

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Here's a 'Durella' umbrella I found last weekend in full working order, all steel, brass and wood construction...check out the stay arrangement!
overall shot with rest of finds
34q722h.jpg

label
2rqgdx4.jpg

stay arrangement
fomzis.jpg

I had to removed the shellac from the handle as it was falling off other than that it all works fine though it does need a clean, construction is similar and as good as Fox IMHO.

-30-

A-List Customer
Seeing that we are covering umbrellas within this forum and having indeed used it for my DD, I was rather surprised to see an advert for the Davek Umbrella site on my return!

(Am I being "tracked", or is this just coincidence; I being quite judicious at Cookie Deletion.)

Yes, I bought one; The Elite model at $149.00 USD, which turns to become close to $250.00 CAN with exchange and shipping.

This particular item is more of a take, on a "modern" stick unit, but fear ye not, for they also offer a solid wood - chestnut shafted one at $350.00 US,

both of which are shipped-out free, stateside.

First impression out of the triangular UPS box, I was impressed and will return here again after the first rain tryout.

Regards,
J T

-30-

A-List Customer
First things first; a correction on Canadian Pricing - all-in/delivered was $ 226.15.

That having been written, this is a solid piece of kit.

While not experiencing the total "old world craftsmanship" expected from makers such as Fox & Co et al, - bit of casting flash on the

sliding hand/finger grip area and not having a hand pressed canopy, this item has my blessing. The "stick" is of reinforced fibreglas

construction for strength and yes, naturally laid beauty, solidly imbedded into the stitched leather crook; fine job. From what I understand

from my web perusal, most umbrella hardware components world-wide are "Made in China"; this is not to write that as a sour grapes

critique, it just being an "is what it is" fact of life; my 5 year-old 100, 000+ hour Thinkpad's - cooling fan stopped at half of that probably

due to "excessive nicotine residue"; cannot complain at that; it's not where it's made, it's how is the product spec'd/quality control/

general oversight. There is none of the usually seen aluminum U shaped ribs within the canopy mechanism, they mostly being

of a round nonmagnetic material, upon which smoothly rides a set of tubular polymer guides. The ribs, by the way, terminate

into clean and smooth-holed cast metal "eye-pokers"; very neat, especially the manner with which they are stitched; that also

holding true for the rib to canopy junctions. When furled, within it's carrying sleeve, although not total cane-like as are the

$500.00+ variety, this example presents a more than good-enough silhouette for the Gentleman-About-Town; when unfurled,

the canopy is taut and tight, 43" measuring the canopy across to the tips, rather than over the canopy passing the stick end.

The reason for my purchase of this item, rather than another, was primarily due to it's not only Lifetime Guarantee, but also

for the "If you lose it, we will sell you another at a 50% discount."; now that is an offer that I couldn't refuse!.

(It also was at an overall length that I was more comfortable with.)

In summation; it does an excellent job of rain protection as was seen today in an absolute driving/windswept adventure for which I have waited these last weeks!

Regards,
J T

Last edited:

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Another S.Fox & Co flea market find, not bad for a tenner (UK);
14akbrl.jpg
2qnys12.jpg

r70n55.jpg
23jr2wk.jpg

16gydkz.jpg
169i6ic.jpg

ndtt0l.jpg
24180mh.jpg

I'm guessing it's not too old as the cover is of Bri-Nylon, which would explain it being mint and unholed, only damage is slight burring to end tip done through previous owner 'walking' the brolly!

wgnovak

Familiar Face
Terriers

How comes Scotch terrier and fox terrier dogs are so Golden Era? Or is this just my association?

The Charleses, Čapek brothers, Katharine Hepburn...

I gather the actual question is, why have they gone out of fashion. Maybe it's Lassie's fault.

They haven’t gone out of fashion in The UK or the East and are used by all in Southeast Asia during the monsoons.
I guess where they have the folks have a fascination with getting drenched !

-30-

A-List Customer
JUST bought another DAVEK Umbrella this week, a SOLO Model, to augment my previously purchased ELITE full size stick model, the only reason for that being, it was inconvenient at times when intermittent showers intervened and I now also using a cane/stick; what to do, a furled umbrella in one hand with a cane in the other?
As was usual, a First Rate Effort by DAVEK, with one minor exception, that of a somewhat sharp edge within the slider mechanism; a fine file being the remedy.

The above was originally posted at:
http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-umbrella/

Regards,
J T

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Another S.Fox & Co flea market find, not bad for a tenner (UK);
I'm guessing it's not too old as the cover is of Bri-Nylon, which would explain it being mint and unholed, only damage is slight burring to end tip done through previous owner 'walking' the brolly!
Not bad at all, I gave twenty quid for a Fulton. It looked like a late 30's model, then I found out that Fulton was founded in the mid 50's by a Polish emigre. Today Fulton has the Royal Warrant. Not bad for someone who escaped the Warsaw Ghetto and probably thought that he would be lucky just to see the war out.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
There was an article in my local newspaper about men who carry umbrellas. I can't, for the life of me. find it on line but what the (male) journalist was implying is that it's somewhat effete for a man to carry such an accessory. Seriously?

I thought Dinerman's umbrella was a fine specimen, sets off his ensemble to a tee.
dinerman.jpg

Here's that Fulton that I came across.

Camera 1 452.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points