Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Vintage Fur Thread

maisie

Practically Family
There is always alot of talk about fur these days, so i was wondering what the other ladies on here think of it?
I personally think that if it is vintage then it is alright to wear, as it was killed over 60 years ago for someone to wear it, so it shouldn't go to waste. However I don't personally agree with the modern ways animal are killed and used for fur (I mean who wants a hamster coat:mad: that's awful!! or those awful rabbbit boots:rage: )

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I am with you, Maisie--I have no problem with vintage fur, but would not buy new. I have worn my fur-trimmed coats out here, but have yet to receive any comments on the fur. I do have some fun comebacks if I ever do hear anything ;)

maisie

Practically Family
I especially like persian (or curly) lamb trims on anything! Coats, muffs, hats, boots it all looks good! I don't know the method of how this was made, does anyone else?
I also like jefory cat (is that what its called?), it looks a bit like leopard, aswell, but prices for it sky rocket on ebay :rage:.

Its annoying as over here in the UK, charity shops will not accept any sort of fur so it either gets binned :eek: or taken to a boot sale.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I like the look of a vintage coat with a fur collar, but I'd never wear a full fur coat, vintage or not. There's a lot of activist/hippie types around here, and I'd be afraid of what might happen to both me and the coat if I were to venture out in it. A vintage collar tends to attract less notice.

And no, I'd never wear new fur.

Caledonia

Practically Family
maisie said:
There is always alot of talk about fur these days, so i was wondering what the other ladies on here think of it?
I personally think that if it is vintage then it is alright to wear, as it was killed over 60 years ago for someone to wear it, so it shouldn't go to waste. However I don't personally agree with the modern ways animal are killed and used for fur (I mean who wants a hamster coat:mad: that's awful!! or those awful rabbbit boots:rage: )

And don't forget that dog and cat fur is also being sold, although you won't know it. Pets are stolen and killed into the fur industry. But that apart - on no account would I wear fur vintage or otherwise. I haven't got a leg to stand on as I wear leather, wool, and worse silk, and claim to be a vegetarian. But nonetheless if you wear it you advertise it, and when people see it they thinks it's ok, and may be encouraged to wear it. Leather, wool etc is the by product of our omniverous tendencies. Fur is no longer a by product of our need to survive. It is a luxury market for human pleasure, like hunting for sport. No. No fur, no way, no how. Google some pictures of farmed or wild trapped animals. You'll find them, and while some of them are vintage others are not. The horror of them doesn't change over the years. Stepping off the soap box now.

colleency

One of the Regulars
Caledonia said:
I haven't got a leg to stand on as I wear leather, wool, and worse silk, and claim to be a vegetarian.

Isn't wool sheared? You don't have to kill anything for wool, do you? Do they kill the silkworms? I had no idea.

I don't have to worry about my stand on the fur issue. I'm allergic to almost everything.

Rosie

One Too Many
I'm not exactly sure how I feel about fur. I know I don't like the aspect of killing an animal for it's fur nor do I like the way animals are killed but I will admit I madly want a vintage fox fur [huh]. Somehow, (maybe it's selfishness?), I've made myself think if I come across one I really like it will be okay because it's vintage and has been dead for quite sometime. I, like Maisie, like persian lamb's wool as it gives the idea and look of fur without actually being fur, I have many pieces that have this as a trim. I own three vintage faux fur coats that look unbelievably real. I would not buy a new fur. However, I eat meat, wear silk and wear leather.

Caledonia

Practically Family
The wool bit is more a vegan stand than anything. If you think about it the sheep are only there to give you wool because in the end they are going to be herded into an abattoir and slaughtered for meat. Given that most sheep are raised in areas without shelter from the heat of summer, then shearing is a blessing in their short lives, but nonetheless they're meat. Silk worms make a cocoon and then the cocoon is boiled to get the silk off it, with the worms alive and inside. Not that I want to start taking this off topic, but think lobsters. Ok, so we don't wear lobster :) , but the boiling bit is similar.

decodoll

Practically Family
I don't have a problem with vintage fur. It was a different time, it's done now, there is really no point in it being discarded. That seems like more of a waste to me. When it comes to modern fur, my requirement is that it must be an animal that people eat as well. If someone is eating it, you might as well use the entire animal. Not that I go around buying a lot of fur anyway. The only thing it really applies to is my millinery work. I use rabbit fur felt, but I'd never use beaver.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Animals are here for our consumption...I do not believe in animal cruelty however.
haven't heard about fur coat makers using cats and dogs though...It seems it just wouldn't look the same [huh]

Caledonia

Practically Family
It tends not to be legitimate sources, but it does happen and is sold as other fur types. I agree that animals are there for our consumption, but not by right. It's a natural process of the food chain. We are currently at the top, by dint of having thumbs and bigger brains, so we naturally predate on everything else. We also have reasoning, which is why we understand that cruelty is wrong and respect for life, human or non-human, is a priority. Whoops, this thread has got me started! I'll go bother another table for a while :)

MoxieGrl

Familiar Face
Caledonia said:
If you think about it the sheep are only there to give you wool because in the end they are going to be herded into an abattoir and slaughtered for meat.

Well, that's not always the case. Some people raise sheep for their wool, and wool alone.

I don't have any problem wearing vintage fur, but I rarely find it in good enough condition, it's usually dry-rotted. I really wouldn't have a problem wearing modern fur, if it was off an animal killed for its meat rather than just to wear. Or if it was killed for good reason (ex. fox gets into chicken coop, fox gets shot, use its fur) Though, I don't have the stomach for actually taking the dead animal and turning it into a peice. I don't think I'd ever buy a new fur though, as I wouldn't know where the animal came from.

Caledonia

Practically Family
Good point Moxiegirl, I know people who do that. Please all read that I amend my last statement to include Moxiegirl's point. I also have to add that my dogs kill rabbits, and I've slaughtered rabbits myself (for welfare sake) so I could see myself using rabbit fur on that basis, but I still wouldn't go public with it. I also understand everybody's views on the fact that vintage fur is well dead and shouldn't go to waste, but I still think there is an advertisement thing going on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112