Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The wrist watch.

wackyvorlon

One of the Regulars
I have two pocket watches(I dislike wristwatches), an 18 size Waltham from the turn of the century, and a 1930's bulova in a gold case. Both very beautiful, solid timekeepers.

Zach R.

Practically Family
Well, the only Wristwatch I have is a blue-faced modern Fossil watch that weighs a ton. I like it, and it has really strengthened my arm, I think.

Pocket-watch wise I have a NOS 1953 Westclox Scotty that I got off of ebay. Money is a little tight, so that was all I could really afford.

Wild Root

Gone Home
wackyvorlon said:
I have two pocket watches(I dislike wristwatches), an 18 size Waltham from the turn of the century, and a 1930's bulova in a gold case. Both very beautiful, solid timekeepers.

Oh so you dislike wristwatches eh? Well, pocket watches have been popping up in this thread here and there, but it's purely a wrist watch thread. I have a few pocket watches and they're great, but I'd like to focus on wristwatches in this room. ;)

Do tell me why you dislike such beautiful time pieces. I find that fascinating seeing there are plenty other things to dislike.

Cheers,

Root.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Wild Root said:
Do tell me why you dislike such beautiful time pieces. I find that fascinating seeing there are plenty other things to dislike.

You could ask me the same thing, Root! I just don't like wearing jewelry, don't like it touching my skin. The only piece of jewelry I wear is my wedding ring, and that's only when I'm out in public. At home, I take it off. Don't worry, though, my wife does the same thing. :)

Brad

wackyvorlon

One of the Regulars
I find the feeling of a wristwatch distracting, and it often interferes with shirt cuffs. It is very difficult to have it remain in place, without it being unpleasantly tight.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Ok, sounds like a reason. To each his own I supose.

I for one like having the watch right there at hand with out pulling it out of a pocket! Works great wile driving a vintage car. Don't want to take the eyes off the road too long wile wheeling a 60 year old auto!!!

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Root.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Just out of curiosity, has anyone come across a reasonably priced lady's watch from the 30s-40s? I'd love to find one, particularly one with a cord wristband, but have yet to see any in my area.
47b5d939b3127cce92a9d7341a2400000015108AatmbRq2ctP

Looks like quite a few of you have some really neat watches!

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
I have one of those.It was a gift from my mother,she found it at an Antique Mall.It's made by bulova.
They still make some very classic shapes.I love their bracelet styles and splurged on one at a department store X-mas sale.They're not the cheapest,though.
My new watch is similar to this but the lines lean toward more of a cleaner Art Deco feel.

http://www.bulova.com/brands/bulova/product.aspx?id=758&coll_id=23&origin=collection

Wild Root

Gone Home
J-Doll, I would say to check out ebay if you haven't already. I see lots of watches on that thing. Some cheap, some not so cheap.

I was at a big auto swap-meet yesterday in Pomona. They had dealers selling auto parts for vintage and new plus, some antique dealers. I saw a box full of watches marked for $1.00 for each watch, there was a nice little 40's lady's watch but it was missing the crystal.

The kind you're looking for may be hard to find since that type of band wore out faster then others.

Good luck,

Root.

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
Also,they seem to run very small.I have very small wrists and my actual vintage one is a little tighter than I like.It fits just like your pic,but I like them to feel more like a bracelet.
Of course,it could have been a teen's watch,which could explain the size.

shamus

Suspended
I see ladies watches all the time with corded bands. And they're really cheap compaired to a man's watch. Under $15.00 for sure.

They're all wind watches with a base metal but they're vintage and real.

You won't find them at the Goodwill, you must go to a non-organized thrift store.

rubyredlocks said:
Also,they seem to run very small.I have very small wrists and my actual vintage one is a little tighter than I like.It fits just like your pic,but I like them to feel more like a bracelet.
Of course,it could have been a teen's watch,which could explain the size.

Any watch repair shop worth using will be able to replace the short cords with longer ones in minutes. You can even do it yourself if you get the material. Watch part supply companies like S. LaRose of North Carolina: http://www.slarose.com/cgi-bin/slarose/
should be able to supply the material for you in a variety of colors as well. I always keep some on hand for my wife's watches. Never know when you might need one. ;)
Don't pass up a good woman's watch because of the band. :)

Regards to all,

J

Michaelson

One Too Many
jamespowers said:
Well I might as well add my everyday baby to this thread. :p
Made in 1941---probably before Pearl---This Waltham Premier has served me well for quite a few months now. I have been meaning to get it cleaned and have the crystal replaced but it just keeps running and I don't really want to let it go for the time it takes to do all that to it. :p

Waltham-Premier2.jpg

Not bad for an old wristwatch I guess. ;)

Regards to all,

J

Get it serviced, James, especially if you don't know the last service date. All you're doing is running the watch pivots in old oil and reaming them out by running them dry, especially if the old oil is animal based (which all the old watch oils USED to be based on). Get it serviced, and it WILL last you years and years, or the clean/repair bill will cost you plenty when you finally DO get around to getting it worked on...probably after it's stopped.

Jitterbugdoll, you can find women's wristies all over the place as mentioned above, especially antique malls. They're VERY nice movements if made by companies like Gruen, Lady Elgin, and the like, and many jeweled 17 and higher. Problem is, watchmakers don't like to work on them, so if you can find a couple of the same watch, buy both...have one restored, and keep the second back as a parts watch. You'll not regret it.

Regards! Michaelson

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
Thanks James for the idea.I wonder if they could add to the existing metal cord band,it's so unique I hate to give it up completely.

rubyredlocks said:
Thanks James for the idea.I wonder if they could add to the existing metal cord band,it's so unique I hate to give it up completely.

Call and see if they can come up with a larger replacement. Sometimes the original company still makes the same band. I have had that happen once or twice. Adding to the band can also be done. It just depends on how much it would cost if it required new links made.

Regards to all,

J

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
My First Watch

Well, I took the plunge and bought this 1930s sterling silver marcasite watch on eBay today. It was pretty inexpensive and is in good working condition (I do know of a person that specializes in antique watch repair, but didn't want to mess with that right now.) I figure I can always ask for another watch with a cord band for Christmas or a birthday ;) I mean, the "more the merrier" theory must apply to watches just like it does to all other forms of vintage clothing!

36_1_b.JPG

e3_1_b.JPG

ADGENTNC

New in Town
I work in the family jewelry store where we sell Rolex, so I kinda have to wear a submariner...I do have a vintage Cyma I wear on a day to day basis, I beilieve it's from the 50's...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112