Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things that make you smile

...The pungent, earthy smell of a mid-summer salt marsh...
This brought to mind the musty smell of a used book store that has been in business for at least two or three generations. There were two in my home town that I visited regularly when I was growing up; both are long gone. And in this part of the world stores like them are becoming harder to find as the years pass, so when I find one I breathe deep.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
giphy.gif

January and February are over! :mad: March 1st is beginning of meteorolicical spring, March 15th beware the Ides of March, March 20th actual first day of spring... and best of all March 17th is St. Patrick's Day. :D Time for a Guinness!
Yeah, but we lose an hour on Sunday because of that stupid Daylight Saving Time nonsense. :mad: It would make me smile if the U.S. (or at least California) eliminated that useless practice.

I wish the North Platte Canteen could have been saved. What a treasure it would have been. Thousands of troops from all across America passed through there.

You can visit the Lincoln County Museum to see stuff. They have some things online: http://www.lincolncountymuseum.org/the-north-platte-canteen1

There's also a great book on it: https://www.amazon.com/Once-Upon-Town-Miracle-Canteen/dp/006008197X
Thank you. I've read that book a few times. It just astounds me what those folks did every day for almost 5 years. They sacrificed from their own limited supplies to make sure every train was taken care of.

Recently finished "Once Upon a Town: The Miracle of the North Platte Canteen" by Bob Greene
  • As you guys note: a book that will bring a smile to your face (thank you both for the recommendation)
  • Impressive what that community did / we debate its meaning a lot here at FL - and I absolutely get that it is a complex issue - but this is one version of patriotism that I can get behind
  • It's a shame that the station didn't survive, but it's all part of the long decline of passenger rail service in the US
    • Rightly or wrongly, the country's political system in the '50s went with cars and planes; so, today, we have cars and planes
    • The train station made and, when gone, (sadly) broke that town
  • My born-in-'32 mother has argued that pre the late '60s (and, certainly, the '40s and '50s) truly were a sexual more innocent time for kids and teenagers - you can feel that in the stories of the kids and teenagers of the canteen

This makes me laugh.

Almost every one of these "dog shows" that I've seen has been a stuffed-shirt, overly pompous affair where everyone takes themselves far too seriously, so I enjoy it when a dog thumbs it's nose at convention and has some fun while it's going through it's routine. Olly's performance in the second video was clearly more fun than business, but I'd have given him points just for his enthusiasm for doing what a dog should do. :D

Cornshucker77

Call Me a Cab
Almost every one of these "dog shows" that I've seen has been a stuffed-shirt, overly pompous affair where everyone takes themselves far too seriously, so I enjoy it when a dog thumbs it's nose at convention and has some fun while it's going through it's routine. Olly's performance in the second video was clearly more fun than business, but I'd have given him points just for his enthusiasm for doing what a dog should do. :D
Yep, I agree. That is a fun little dog!! The announcer got a kick out of him too! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto