Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thinking about a tattoo, but is it what good girls did in the 1940's?

Berlin

Practically Family
Tattoo's are not for me. I have nothing with it and I just feel that they don't go along with my 1940s look. The fact that it is permanent, is another reason why it is a no go for me. It's just a matter of taste I think.

But.. I do see why others want to get inked, because it's a way of expressing yourself or to some others it's a memory they want to carry with them for the rest of their lives.

Then again; it's just a matter of taste I think.

bunny chan

Familiar Face
Berlin said:
But.. I do see why others want to get inked, because it's a way of expressing yourself or to some others it's a memory they want to carry with them for the rest of their lives.
It's just what it is ;) !!

B.

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
I'm getting one at some point. I have a design in my head, and I just can't get it out, and I dont think I could let someone else design something and put it on me, the artist in me kinda shrinks from it. So if or when I can get the design worked out it'll happen.

Lenore

Practically Family
While snooping through this post yesterday, I started thinking about vintage tattoos. I found some old sailor Jerry Flash scans and thought I'd put them up here.

cherryblossom.jpg

I'm actually considering this one with my daughter's name in the middle, though I'd prefer a star motif, it's hard to find a vintagey one that's not over the top for me.

Peacocks.jpg

I love peacocks. They remind me of my grandmother. She had embroidered a HUGE peacock tapestry, as well as little matching ones. One of my fondest memories is of her teaching me to crewel.

JERRY-MERMAIDS-L.jpg

Actually passed this one on to my hubby, who has been looking for a pinup girl. :)

MTS2_SpaceDoll_647988_Sailor_Jerry_.jpg

4v-indian-sheetL.jpg

SayCici

Practically Family
Lenore, for the tattoo you are thinking of getting, just look for a good artist who works in traditional style. That's what that kind of work is referred to as, and they can draw up any idea you have in that style, you don't need to look for the right flash.

Lenore

Practically Family
:)

CiCi,

I wasn't really looking for something for myself. Just happen to think all the flash is nifty, and the cherry blossoms caught my eye. As far as vintagey stars, I'm not looking for flash, but something that catches my eye. I'm terribly picky. I've talked to artists and nothing they've come up with suits, so I just keep snooping.

Edited to add: Ooh, I just had an idea.

Little bitty stars (see bottom flash scan) done a la connect the dots style in the Orion constellation. (My daughter's middle name is one of those stars). Whatcha think?

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
Lenore said:
:)

Edited to add: Ooh, I just had an idea.

Little bitty stars (see bottom flash scan) done a la connect the dots style in the Orion constellation. (My daughter's middle name is one of those stars). Whatcha think?

That's a good idea because it's significant without being obvious. I'm into that! You'd still want to see it drawn up. A good artist will know how big or small he can make the stars without losing detail but still preserving the overall picture, if you will.

I'm still going to echo what CiCi said, if you like the traditional style, find somebody who loves doing it and see their book, not of ideas but actual pics of completed tattoos on the subject. A lot of artists can draw a star, or tell you they can, but you want somebody who has a passion for this style and you most def want to see their line work before they touch you with a needle.

Two of my fav styles are tribal (although I don't sport any) and celtic. I have seen some wonderful patterns that probably looked heavenly in a book of flash. Unfortunately, the line work was crappy on the bearer (wavy, inconsistant width of the lines or edges). In tattoos, flash is one thing, execution is another.

Lenore

Practically Family
Quick Mock Up
Orion.jpg

Opinions?

Some of the stars are too big for the size, but I didn't want to lose definition.

And yes, I'll be sure to research artists before I get the first poke. My mother in law didn't do that, and now she's got a crooked Louisiana flag on her back! Lesson learned and I didn't have to go to school!

miserabelle

One of the Regulars
SugarKitten said:
Belatedly (the topic has gone cold) I got this link for what amounts to DIY temporary tattoos. For us chickens I guess!

http://www.tattoojohnny.com/test_drive

Thought I'd offer it (never tried or anything, but I might ;) ) for those out there on the fence with me!
You can get inkjet tattoo paper that you print yourself, so you can try any sort of design out before you commit :) I know before I got mine I photoshopped the design onto my arm, and printed a copy out on paper and sellotaped it in place to try out the scale and composition!

I have some that I printed some promotional 'tattoos' on for my freelance work, it's really useful! xx

PrettyPaula

New in Town
Hey all

i have alot of tattoos, so does my husband. I have one full sleeve in a traditional style, rock n roll on my feet and "Dannys Girl" on my lower back.

my most outrageous one is an anchor on my inner finger.

i love my tattoos, and always will do, i cant wait to get them all finished as the sleeve is work in progress ;)

exquisitebones

A-List Customer
Hahaha, I just blogged about this today! then came to check the lounge and this thread was active again. weird. :)
I struggle a lot with wearing vintage every day and having tattoos as I said in my blog post.. but I do not regret them! I love my tattoos.

PrettyPaula

New in Town
exquisitebones said:
Hahaha, I just blogged about this today! then came to check the lounge and this thread was active again. weird. :)
I struggle a lot with wearing vintage every day and having tattoos as I said in my blog post.. but I do not regret them! I love my tattoos.

great blog, have added it my favourites :p

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I've been itching for a new one for a while, but the right idea hasn't come along yet. I'm pleased as punch with my pink cupcake, Betty Boop, and Sailor Jerry pin-up though, so I really don't need more lol

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Me: C-Dot has a tattoo of a pink cupcake. Fun!
Hubby: I want a cupcake tattoo! Cupcakes are awesome.

That's hilarious! :D I snapped a pic of it:

cupper2.jpg

That drawing came off the top of the artist's head, too, after a thoroughly unorganized barrage of ideas from me. I think he did a great job!

Last edited:

Lenore

Practically Family
That's fantastic. He's seriously considering a blue cupcake now.

I'd get some swallows if I didn't see them everywhere. I've got so many ideas I can't keep them all straight myself. The stars are going to be done this fall. I know it won't be the last work I get done.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
*Bump*

Was thinking about this thread today. Any new editions? My stars are scheduled for around my birthday. :)

I'm getting a new one on Tuesday, which is my 36th birthday.

droppedImage_2.jpg

Only I'm getting yellow roses around her and the name JEAN (1911-1937) in the heart. Might change up some of the colours, too. And I want a little tattoo on her shoulder, but Jean Harlow didn't have any tattoos lol So I am torn!!! :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ