Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Third Party Photo Hosting: What We Know, And Why You Don't Need It.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Photobucket has cut off the free ride for hosting photos. Any image that you have stored there which is linked to The Fedora Lounge or any other website is now broken. I discovered that I cannot even see or retrieve my own photos while on the Photobucket website. I had a number of images there which only existed there and on a long dead computer in the possession of my former spouse. They're now completely lost to me. To get them back, I would have to pay Photobucket $399 per year. I'm not going to do that. There appears to be no "monthly" option, as I'm sure they realize that people would just snatch back all their image files on day one and then cancel the account.

To be clear: Even if you're able to see a Photobucket hosted image on your screen, it cannot be seen by anyone else. The image links are broken, and that's that.

We fully expect other image hosting sites to follow Photobucket's path and begin charging for site use. So be it. Their expenses are surely heavy and it's probably a dead business model.
The simplest solution here, for everyone, is to just upload your images directly to The Fedora Lounge. We pay a rather fat chunk of change every month for you to be able to do that, and we've made the process as quick, simple, and challenge-free as is humanly possible. Click, drag, done. Your images will be safely in place, where you put them, for all time, and we have absolutely zero plans to charge you for this service.

We would do a step-by-step tutorial, but we seriously can't imagine what that would look like.
Please don't overthink it or expect Microsoftian complexity. Just click your image file, drag it into the text box where you're composing your post, select "full size." and you're done.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Test drag from my work computer:

oscar goldman.jpg

...Just click your image file, drag it into the text box where you're composing your post, select "full size." and you're done.
Does The Lounge's software automatically reduce large image files inserted in posts to a workable size, or should we do that ourselves before posting? I don't mind large photos on occasion, but get 20 or more on the same page and it can really slow the load time down to a crawl.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points