Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thirties in Colour

Tangoman

New in Town
Don't know if anyone else has mentioned this but BBC4 in the UK has been showing a 4 part series called the Thirties in Colour. They are using rarely seen colour movies shot by travellers of the time to examine the events of that decade through their eyes. Some stunning images with all the more impact for being in colour. Last part was tonight showing footage of the changes in Europe in the run up to the war, fascinating but chilling. Series is still available to watch on the net from http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/

Tangoman

New in Town
Sorry did not realise :eusa_doh: , still I'm sure at some point in the future they will be shown on your side of the pond. Well worth keeping an eye open for them.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
You'd be surprised what does not make it over here. What does is thru BBC America, which seems to follow American rules in program marketing. One of those rules is that documentaries must be of very broad interest: war, royalty, travel, biography, etc.

Another interesting point is that during the 30s, color was used in home movies much more often than in commercial films, where the expensive Technicolor process had the monopoly.

T.E.W.Clough

New in Town
What a shame! I hope it manages to make it Stateside soon.

The footage of Berlin in 1937 is..... well, something else!

There is also a series "The Twenties in Colour" with admittedly less colour film, but nonetheless fascinating.

indeed, as you say Fletch, much of the film was shot by American travellers and tourists, such as industrialist Harry Wright, (apparently much of it on Kodachrome, for those enthused! ;) )

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Miss Neecerie said:
Alas...this does most of us no good...as you must be within the UK to see the videos online.

There are often ways to circumvent this, such as using a UK-based proxy server, but I'm not sure how legal this is in your place, and if it would be nice towards the BBC.

Edward

Bartender
FWIW.... the BBC content is designed to be free to access here in the UK because (in theory.... obviously those who don't have a TV at home are exempt) we all pay the licence fee, whereas those of you in Forn Parts don't.... Not sure if there is another, legitimate way around it - there was some talk of offering the iPlayer as a subscription service abroad, but other than that I don't know.

Interesting series. Reminds me of the earlier one, WW2 in Colour. Seems there was a lot of colour footage of WW2, but apparently it was largely suppressed as the added realism (as compared to B&W) was considered a potential threat to morale and/or support for the war effort.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Edward said:
FWIW.... the BBC content is designed to be free to access here in the UK because (in theory.... obviously those who don't have a TV at home are exempt) we all pay the licence fee, whereas those of you in Forn Parts don't.... Not sure if there is another, legitimate way around it - there was some talk of offering the iPlayer as a subscription service abroad, but other than that I don't know.

Yes..I did know why....having once had to pay my share of the TV license (alas it was in order to watch 4 channels..but I digress)....I just didn't figure anyone else cared why if they couldn't access it...hehee

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana