Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

This evil evil vintage addiction (men are welcome in this one, too)

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Once I put on my first vintage suit jacket with narrow high cut arm-holes it was the begining of the end...of my checking account!lol
The vintage jackets fit so much better that now I can't even wear modern. I then had to have vintage ties...one leading to two, three, four...
Next up: Custom 30s styled fedoras and....

magneto

Practically Family
I must say...

I seem to be buying way more stuff since starting to read The Fedora Lounge than before (I'm sure potential advertisers should be happy to hear that!) :) ("Oh, look at those nice compacts--I want a nice one too! Oh no, I only have 1 suit?! I want those shoes too!" Etc :)

(Off to post a review of the new cardigan that just came in the mail).

decodoll

Practically Family
Lady Day said:
Thats my new obsession, I guess. finding a precious cottom calico, and going nuts on skirts. Oh! And buttons! I LOVE fabric covered biuittons, good thing is, I can make those.

LD

Oh Lady Day, have you been to Exquisite Buttons in El Cerrito? This place is amazing. Stuffed full of vintage buttons of all kinds, most still on their original cards. It's run by a little old man and his wife, and this guy knows his buttons. You won't see a modern plastic button in the place. It's all catalin, wood, metal, etc., and his prices are fabulous.

For me the vintage addiction just gets worse and worse. :) In my case, it's mainly, clothes, shoes, accessories, patterns and fabric from the late 1930's/early 1940's. I'm also quite addicted to buying books about those time periods.

I'd have to agree that Fedora Lounge may be a bad influence. :rolleyes: So many cute things are posted that just goad me on to shop more!

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
Oh I forgot about the patterns... I have gotten me some, too and I´m hot on some specific ones. It´s a German book named "Der Goldene Schnitt" ("The golden cut") that showed wonderfull clothes and provided patterns to match like 155 different outfits for ladies, men and children. Once in a few years they released a new one with the latest in Fashion. I just have one yet and really have to hold myself back from buying all from 1939 to 1956 cause they are so cute!!!! Once I signed up for sewing lessons in August I can dare to get them ALL :)

G. Fink-Nottle

One of the Regulars
For me, it's watches. I've got all sorts of Hamilton and Bulova watches from the 30's to 50's in various stages of (dis)repair. If I find something that strikes me, I have to buy it.

Shimmy Sally said:
I grew up on this stuff, so sadly it's more than just an addiction. It's so deeply ingrained that no 12 step program can help me. :( I'm a hopeless case.

That's me too. Buying something vintage is like bringing home a piece of my childhood. It's the same as eating really good comfort food but does damage on the wallet instead of the waistline.;)

Foofoogal

Banned
lol I completely understand. I became a dealer because I had to. I have way too much stuff. I sell to buy. I have a huge thing for anything that remotely hints of Art Deco. I was on a compact craze and now it is lingerie.
Every day since 2002 I have been online and every day I run across a collectibles or designer I had no clue about. I like the research I think best.
http://www.sandysfancypants.blogspot.com

Rebecca D

One of the Regulars
decodoll said:
Oh Lady Day, have you been to Exquisite Buttons in El Cerrito? This place is amazing. Stuffed full of vintage buttons of all kinds, most still on their original cards. It's run by a little old man and his wife, and this guy knows his buttons. You won't see a modern plastic button in the place. It's all catalin, wood, metal, etc., and his prices are fabulous.

Please tell me this is accessible by Bart!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
decodoll said:

For me the vintage addiction just gets worse and worse. :) In my case, it's mainly, clothes, shoes, accessories, patterns and fabric from the late 1930's/early 1940's. I'm also quite addicted to buying books about those time periods.

I'd have to agree that Fedora Lounge may be a bad influence. :rolleyes: So many cute things are posted that just goad me on to shop more!

Where is this place??!! :eek:
I tried looking up Exquisite Buttons in El Cerrito on yellowpages.com, but no luck. Help a button addict our :)

LD

decodoll

Practically Family
I pulled out their card...Sorry, not Exquisite Buttons, but Exclusive Buttons. :) Anyway, they are at 10252 San Pablo Ave. in El Cerrito. The phone number is 510-223-1442 to leave a message or 510-524-5606 for the shop. When I was there a few months ago, she said they were only open Friday and Saturdays right now from 11-4. I would call first before treking out there to make sure they will be open when you go. :) Have fun!!!

http://www.yelp.com/biz/y7ajXW33DUtfMh2qDmt1hQ

Rosie

One Too Many
magneto said:
I seem to be buying way more stuff since starting to read The Fedora Lounge than before (I'm sure potential advertisers should be happy to hear that!) :) ("Oh, look at those nice compacts--I want a nice one too! Oh no, I only have 1 suit?! I want those shoes too!" Etc :)

(Off to post a review of the new cardigan that just came in the mail).

lol Ah! This is totally me. Oh, those compacts are soooo, cute, let me get like three.... Pink gloves! I NEED pink gloves.... Oh! I want a dress like that. It's so sad. It's isn't going to get any better with that terrible auction site up. The Lounge in one browser window, ebay in other browser window, flip back and forth searching new things as you ladies bring them up.

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
My boyfriend made me promise that there won´t be any ebay-shopping or ordering anything for me for this month (or let´s say from the time of my next payment to the one following). :rolleyes:

Fortunetly I won a nice custom made tap-pant and a dress on ebay and placed a order on Besam?© Cosmetics BEFORE he made me promise. ;) I wonder how hard it will be to stick with it... On the other side he wants more 40s and 50s stuff so I keep browsing around to look for great clothes for him (he wants a 40s suit to wear on special ocassions and mathing shoes and shirt). Can I resist browsing for women-stuff, too? I¬¥ll see... but it will be a very hard month!!! :(

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The worst part of any addiction is the withdrawal -- and I've been going thru torture lately! Finances here have been very bad, so I've had to scale way way back on shopping -- and that means staying away from the 'bay, from thrift shops, flea markets, all those good kind of places. Groan!!!!

I did fall off the wagon a couple times and pick up a couple of patterns I couldn't live with out, and I just now had to replenish my stocking supply. But otherwise it's been over a month since I went vintage-shopping, and I fear I shall go mad......

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
LizzieMaine said:
The worst part of any addiction is the withdrawal -- and I've been going thru torture lately! Finances here have been very bad, so I've had to scale way way back on shopping -- and that means staying away from the 'bay, from thrift shops, flea markets, all those good kind of places. Groan!!!!

I did fall off the wagon a couple times and pick up a couple of patterns I couldn't live with out, and I just now had to replenish my stocking supply. But otherwise it's been over a month since I went vintage-shopping, and I fear I shall go mad......

Ever done any selling to cycle out parts of the collection on the 'Bay? It can do a Lot to help the finances (and to temper the urges to go on the hunt).

Selling the "not-the-best-items-in-your-collection" can even get to be addictive in itself :eusa_clap (it's nice to see the overall record collection get "better and better" as it gets smaller - even made me feel less guilty about picking up a few new ones! will post soon of course)

Swing High,
- Cousin Hepcat

Rosie

One Too Many
LizzieMaine said:

Ah, I've told myself, no purchasing for the month of July. I'm spending way too much money. But, I saw the GREATEST coat, IN MY SIZE!!! I couldn't pass that up right? Then I saw the GREATEST gloves, couldn't pass that up. Then I found a few great homemaker books, COULDN'T let those go! then it was two vintage bags, they don't make 'em like that anymore. So, my no shopping July has turned into a full fledged shop-o-rama. :eek: lol Maybe August wil be better.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
My new budgetary provision...

is spend only 25 a month on ebay.....July is spent...so now can't buy again til August...

Am trying to see if I can actually afford to move out of roomate-house and into a cardboard box of my own....hence the crunch.

But its torture!

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Cousin Hepcat said:
Selling the "not-the-best-items-in-your-collection" can even get to be addictive in itself

Yup, that's me to a "T". While I should be focussing on the piles of things I actually bought to sell, I'm weeding through the collection and desciding that I have too much of this or that, that I need this or that... like Vanessa says to me... Paypal is like Monopoly money. You sell something, goes to paypal, sits there, then you buy something better with it :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot