Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

This generation of kids...

Heather

Practically Family
My daughter just barely went back to school on Monday (she's 7) & already has a 4 day weekend for Labor Day! Apparently, a 3 day weekend isn't good enough? Idk, I'm just feeling frustrated & disappointed with how things are going for this generation of kids and I feel like they today get waaaay to much time off and way to much slack. Seriously, not a month goes by that they don't have at least an extra day off for whatever reason. Example: a whole week off for Thanksgiving? When I went to school we only got a long weekend! They're coddled & spoiled. I see it every day! They don't know what hard work is, nor do a lot of adults for that matter. Give me the people from the WW2 generation...they knew what it was to sacrifice and work hard! Granted, it was a tough time to live but at least it built character and made them appreciate what they had! I hope I don't offend...these are just my observations....:(

ETA: I'm not saying my generation is/was perfect but we didn't have all this instant gratification that kids today do. Technology is wonderful and a downfall at the same time.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Up here, school started Tuesday -- yesterday, school was closed at noon because of the heat wave, and will probably stay closed the rest of the week. The school board ought to take a hint -- school was never meant to start before Labor Day anyway. First Tuesday after Labor Day to the Third Friday in June -- that's how it ought to be. And no more snow days for a light dusting, either. Put the chains on the bus, or make 'em walk to school. Bah.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
I can't speak for the current generation going through the grade school system, so I don't know what the expectations are anymore. I never got a week off for Thanksgiving, although my family, and many other friends' families I knew wanted it for travel. When I was in my younger years of grade school, my parents would take me out of school around Tuesday of the week of Thanksgiving to go to Texas for a family reunion. Our school system split up days off and gave a four-day weekend around Balloon Fiesta Time (Albuquerque has a large week long balloon fiesta about the first week of October each year). In my opinion, I would have much rather worked that whole week, and had those days off for Thanksgiving.

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
I was in shock this year. The school board said waking up so early was difficult for teenagers, so the start time for each day is now pushed back an hour. :eek: School doesn't start until nearly 9am now. I could deal with that if they stayed open an extra hour, but its only an extra 15 minutes. Where'd that 45 minutes span of supposed education go?

And waking up is difficult for teenagers? Seriously? Not with a well-placed boot.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
LocktownDog said:
And waking up is difficult for teenagers? Seriously? Not with a well-placed boot.

If I didn't want to get up when I was supposed to, my mother would dump a pan of ice water over my head. Got me up with plenty of zip, that did.

I will say, though, that here, at least, the school board doesn't go in for late starts -- kids have to be to class by 730 AM. And no sleeping.

Feraud

Bartender
Heather said:
ETA: I'm not saying my generation is/was perfect but we didn't have all this instant gratification that kids today do. Technology is wonderful and a downfall at the same time.

Instead of blaming the kids or a computer game isn't it your fault (or more correctly OUR fault in the accurate bigger picture) for how apparently spoiled rotten, unmotivated, disrespectful these kids supposedly are?
Our generation apparently didn't have instant gratification or.. fun. We had manners, respect for elders, civic duty, etc. yet we allow kids to behave in such an unpleasant way.

Why haven't we raised better kids?

Edit - I am not knocking you Heather at all but using the ideas expressed in your comments to broaden the picture a bit.

LocktownDog said:
I was in shock this year. The school board said waking up so early was difficult for teenagers, so the start time for each day is now pushed back an hour. :eek: School doesn't start until nearly 9am now. I could deal with that if they stayed open an extra hour, but its only an extra 15 minutes. Where'd that 45 minutes span of supposed education go? And waking up is difficult for teenagers? Seriously? Not with a well-placed boot.

I think what has happened is the people in charge simply got tired of dealing with the problems that come up with children and teens. It's like this generation is the baby of the family and the parents are tired so they don't hold them to the same standards as the older kids had.

As to the lost 45 minutes well it may be a blessing because in many places school kids are not getting taught Reading, Writing and Arithmatic but value systems that are NOT what you want them to be learning. BTW were any admin or teachers salaries adjusted down for the 3.75 hours less work?

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Heather said:
My daughter just barely went back to school on Monday (she's 7) & already has a 4 day weekend for Labor Day! Apparently, a 3 day weekend isn't good enough? Idk, I'm just feeling frustrated & disappointed with how things are going for this generation of kids and I feel like they today get waaaay to much time off and way to much slack. Seriously, not a month goes by that they don't have at least an extra day off for whatever reason. Example: a whole week off for Thanksgiving? When I went to school we only got a long weekend! They're coddled & spoiled. I see it every day! They don't know what hard work is, nor do a lot of adults for that matter. Give me the people from the WW2 generation...they knew what it was to sacrifice and work hard! Granted, it was a tough time to live but at least it built character and made them appreciate what they had! I hope I don't offend...these are just my observations....:(

Around here, we seem less and less able to cope with a bit of snow. Not sure why it is that schools close or start late when everybody else in Denver manages to get to their (non-government) jobs. It just makes it inconvenient for parents. The kids aren't to blame.

Have you looked into giving your daughter reading assignments or some other learning activities?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Feraud said:
Why haven't we raised better kids?

I'll go out on a limb here -- I don't have kids of my own. But I do work with teenagers on a daily basis, and I'll say first off that the kids I hire are the ones who don't fit the modern stereotype. The kids I hire *are* respectful, diligent, hard-working, responsible, and all the things we gripe about modern teens not being. But to find these kids, I have to sift thru a lot of kids who fit the modern stereotype to a T.

I think the difference is that the kids who don't fit the stereotype are the ones who've been taught self reliance. They've been required by their parents to solve problems for themselves, to clean up after themselves, to face the consequences of their own mistakes, and to generally learn adult responsibilities at an early age. This has nothing to do with school and everything to do with the attitude of the parents: the parents of the "good kids" are the ones who are willing to let go, and let their kids fall on their faces once in a while. The parents who insist on controlling and stage-managing and cushioning their offspring's every move are the parents of kids who are going to grow up self-absorbed, entitled, and irresponsible. Because they know mommy and daddy will be right there behind them to kiss their boo-boos and make them better.

Heather

Practically Family
Oh, yikes LizzieMaine! Yeah, I had the same thought...why didn't they start after labor day?

To clarify, I'm not blaming the kids. I know its obviously up to the adults to to set the boundaries/rules/etc but it becomes tough when the parents are the only ones doing it![huh]

I am wondering if many school closures such as snow days are prompted by worries of insurance claims. As a student back in Copiague on Long Island I recall that we had heat but no AC. In the begining of the school year in the begining of September and the end of the year in late June we often had some punishing heat waves and the humidity the Long Island is famous for to cope with. We did have some big fans, one per room and the choice was to open the windows or close them. It made it pretty tough to learn but we "endevored to persevere" and survived.

:eek:fftopic: A snow day meant we shoveled the driveway, stoop (steps) and walkways around the house when it was coming down and tried to clear the berm of snow out from in front of the driveway that the snow plows created. So while we did get to go sledding a bit the more snow we got the more work we had. No snow blower at my house. Also it one reason I am in Southern California as I have no wish to shovel snow again. I had to shovel in Jan 2000 when we went back to NY to move mom out here. And as usual my brother did a half-fast job and left it to me to do it right. It got very cold and we had to get rock salt to get the ice off the front steps and part of the walkway.

:eek:fftopic: I heard a great line a few weeks ago. Someone was talking about the WWII generation that after dealing with the depression and the war were able to slowly get back to a for many a fine lifestyle and earn a good living to provide for their families.

One thing that was often said was: "I want my kids to have the things we did not have!" The speaker said that the problem was often the WWII generation parents then did not give the kids what they DID HAVE which was their values and ethics that were the product of the hard times.

That shift continues today for many and some of us see these items as signs of the times that originate with the baby boomer shifts in values.

Feraud

Bartender
That is what I am talking about Lizzie. I am glad to read you look for these qualities in hiring young people.
It is sad to know how much of a minority these young people are. My wife and I have always know it. Our sixteen year old is in that group and we've fought a constant uphill battle against an indifferent society to raise a good child.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
LizzieMaine said:
...the parents of the "good kids" are the ones who are willing to let go, and let their kids fall on their faces once in a while. The parents who insist on controlling and stage-managing and cushioning their offspring's every move are the parents of kids who are going to grow up self-absorbed, entitled, and irresponsible...

Precisely. I can't say when the change came about, but parents gradually shifted from hard-nosed folks to these loving, caring, cloying people who allow all sorts of disrespectful behavior and laziness to take place.

It's one thing to be really strict, it's an entirely different thing to allow your child to grow up. Do we really need these bike helmets, knee pads, wrist braces and training wheels on every bike, for every kid? If the kid doesn't learn to take a fall now and again, how are they going to handle the real thing? If they start a fight, they'd better finish it. If they talk out of turn, smack them. I'm not saying we should beat up our kids, but unless someone instills discipline, there won't be any at all. [huh]

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Feraud said:
That is what I am talking about Lizzie. I am glad to read you look for these qualities in hiring young people.
It is sad to know how much of a minority these young people are. My wife and I have always know it. Our sixteen year old is in that group and we've fought a constant uphill battle against an indifferent society to raise a good child.

:eusa_clap Hey, you're fighting the good fight! We'll need leaders of our children some day, and these will be the best picks.

Paisley said:
Around here, we seem less and less able to cope with a bit of snow. It just makes it inconvenient for parents.

One thing that is very different today is that by the time I was 8 years old I had a key to the house and was able to be left alone at home while my parents worked. As I understand it today parents go to jail for that. I managed not to burn the house down to the ground in spite of really trying.

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
Fleur De Guerre said:
I always started school at 8.45 - I think my education was perfectly fine. [huh]

I certainly don't disparage starting at that time IF the students are well-mannered and well-educated. However decreasing the numbers of school hours in this school district is too detrimental to a poor system as it is. We are a very large county with very little funding. The local high school has a graduation rate of under 50%. On average, 3 eight grade students each year are pregnant before they even reach their freshman year. Funny how the football team gets a new electronic scoreboard, uniforms, trips funded all over the country ... yet arts and music are cut, students have to share a computer (in computer class!), etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff