• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

Discussion in 'Suits' started by Daniel Riser, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Daniel Riser

Daniel Riser A-List Customer

2. Hondo

Hondo One Too Many

Tell me Daniel my good man, where would you begin on a new suit, post 1940's? I haven't the time to bargain hurt, custome made, tailor? What about you Wildroot? Grateful :cool2:
  3. Daniel Riser

That is Matt Deckard's suit that was tailored for him. Contact him about having suits custome made. If you don't mind lightweight modern fabrics there is this option:

although I don't believe any Lounger has purchased that exact suit.

Hope this helps.

P.S. Bargain Hunting is fun!
  4. Chad Sanborn

Chad Sanborn A-List Customer

What a shame. Though it makes sense in the course of the wartime efforts. I recently found a local shop that had eluded me. The guy who runs it also owns one in Boston. I asked him where he found the older garments, and he said most came from the 'northeast'. I guess he didn't want to reveal his sources. He did say he has a friend who makes vintage clothing for the movie industry! I asked if he sold that attire and he said 'sometimes'. I am trying to get in touch with this guy but so far nothing.

5. Vanessa

Vanessa One Too Many

Great pattern, though, for the gals. :rolleyes:
  6. Daniel Riser

I'm tempted to buy this pattern just to make sure no one actually tries this today...

*deep breaths
  7. Vanessa

Vanessa One Too Many

If I promise not to put it to use, but only to collect - will you not buy it? ;)
  8. Daniel Riser

Well you're friends with Lauren so that means I know where you live...

SO GO AHEAD!!! :p

In all honesty it is actually a really great pattern. I haven't seen many around.
  9. Lauren

Lauren Distinguished Service Award

I haven't seen any in pattern form. Just books or articles.
  10. It is sad, but it was probably done for a good reason. Most likely, in the name of patriotism. These scans are from a book I have called the Singer Make-over Guide. My copy is copywritten 1943 and 1944. It gives many suggestions on how to re-use, repair and re-style clothing so you aren't out buying clothes or material during the wartime shortages. Here are 2 pages...

The book is great for the vintage clothing collector (but I promise not to use it to destroy any men's suits ;) . In fact, I'm learning to re-weave so I can repair them). It shows some really creative repairs that allow me to buy damaged vintage items and repair them to period style. And you can get some great deals on things with tears or stains. It also has ideas for updating older styles, kids clothes, and household linens.
  11. Daniel Riser

Yeah it's a rare piece. $20 buy it now. I'd recommend someone on here should get it.
  12. feltfan

feltfan Call Me a Cab

That'd be great. You come back from WWII and your wife
    has converted all your favorite suits into outfits for her...
  13. Daniel Riser

If you get into the re-weaving business. You will only need one customer... trust me. I could keep you busy for years and years.

... suddenly the findings on ebay are even better.
  14. But I'm sure she knitted him some nice socks ;) .
  15. Hondo

Hondo One Too Many

Dan, Thanks for the link, looks great, will give it some thought once I know my size, have measuring done to I know exact comfortable fit. Its always shoulders and arm length. I like the 109 Pinstripe flannel wool (light med weight) Dark Blue. oh very good ladies :cool:
  16. Vanessa

Vanessa One Too Many

Didn't even have to use the buy-it now. I'm surprised. I won it for the low price of $9.
  17. Dalexs

Dalexs Practically Family

Chad, do you know the name of the shop in Boston the guy was referring to?
    We have a place here called Bobbys of Boston (or something like that) that handles vintage stuff and does stuff for Hollywood (apparently) but I haven't had a chance to check it out yet.