Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

This or That

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I'll take the tango. Ain't paying no buck and a quarter to dance.

7927570324_aab0010feb_o.jpg

Miller?

or

Goodman?

bergdorf-goodman.jpg

BUSTER always! Next to Chaplin, of course.

Vintage cotton Percale sheets or modern sheets of any kind you choose?

Not sure if I am playing this game right.....

Excellent play and welcome.

Not much to it:

1. Answer the most recent opened "this or that" as you did by choosing Keaton and then

2. Offer up your own "this or that" by choosing two things (I sometimes go with three, but I'm also regularly and rightly ignored) that are potential substitutes - yellow or golden brown mustard / the Beatles or the Stones / shades or shutters / carpet or wood floors and throw it out there.

Coffee Turkish

When overpaying for coffee today (which is easy to do), do you want the clerk (excuse me, "barista") to put in the milk and sugar or do you like to do it yourself?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Have to go with 2004, because we'd been shown the Promised Land so many times before that without being allowed in. Growing up a Red Sox fan before 2004 wasn't just a matter of "wait till next year" or "1918!," it was growing up with a positive sense that no matter what you were doing, success would be snatched away from you at the last moment. Lonborg would always wilt on two days rest, Aparicio would always fall down rounding third, the late-season lead would be blown, Johnson would always pinch hit for Willoughby in the ninth, Torrez would always hang a meatball to Dent, Calvin Schiraldi would fold under pressure, "here comes Knight and the Mets win," Clemens would always be ejected for telling Cooney to F. off in the fourth game, and Grady Little would always leave Martinez in too long. And you'd complain to your grandmother and she'd tell you about Pesky holding the ball, and Denny Galehouse pitching instead of Joe Dobson or Mel Parnell, and McCarthy not letting Kinder hit for himself, and Williams breaking his elbow in the All-Star Game, and on and on and on. It was a generational heritage of not just failure, but bitter last-minute failure. You learned never to trust anything, never to expect anything, and never to allow yourself to feel any kind of security or self-confidence about anything.

2004 was a wonderful catharsis for us, and I hope Cub fans enjoy that same sense of "finally, it's over." But be warned -- we still carry the scars of the Dark Time.

Deep psychological damage spread over generations from a baseball team's failures, or "aw what the hell, it's only a game?"

U-Bet Chocolate Syrup or Hershey's.

For some reason, the store that carries U-Bet near me ran out and I recently tried Hershey's out of necessity. I won't prejudice the response, but am very curious to hear what others think of this "this or that."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko