Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

This or That

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
H. V. Kaltenborn or Gabriel Heatter?

That’s tough one!
2evq4yc.jpg

I’ll go with Dizzy Dean & pick Mr. Cottonhorn...;)
suvg28.png

Marion Harris or Bessie Smith?

Last edited:
I agree with the beautiful silent films you’ve mentioned.
I have them in my collections.
Obviously there’s more than just “slapstick” silents from that era.

It’s easy to jump into the wrong conclusion.
But I believe Fading Fast was relating to slap stick comedies
(slip on a banana peel or pie in the face)
and so was I.

I don’t believe he meant to imply that all silents were slapstick....

Yup - that's it exactly.

And now back to 2Jakes' "this or that" as I've been lost for most of the last ones you guys have been putting out.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Yup - that's it exactly.

And now back to 2Jakes' "this or that" as I've been lost for most of the last ones you guys have been putting out.

Yup - that's it exactly.

That last question pertained to curtains.

Cretonne is a tightly woven polished cotton, generally finished in a colorful floral print, often used for curtains and drapery. It was most popularly used in Colonial, English, and other "romantic" interiors in the 1920's, 1930's and 1940's.

Monk's Cloth is a loosely woven, heavily textured cotton fabric, sometimes with a linen warp. Much of it's effect is textural, although colorful, crude, tapestry effects were mildly popular at the very beginning of the last century. Monk's Cloth was a common curtain material in Arts and Crafts interiors between 1890 and 1920, was used in some self-consciously "quaint" rooms well after that, and in it's monochromatic form became quite popular in "modern" rooms of 1930's-60's.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Benehana t-shirt. ;)

You ignored the original
question....
(Meek 44 or Pfleuger Gem ?)

So I reckon anything goes. :D

Amos ?
or
Andy?

O.K.

Pfleuger. Love the precision construction, like a watch.

Andy Brown. Charles Correll was a vocal genius.

Now that I've answered your questions:

Banjeurine or Banjolele?

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
O.K.

Pfleuger. Love the precision construction, like a watch.

Andy Brown. Charles Correll was a vocal genius.

Now that I've answered your questions:

Banjeurine or Banjolele?

Thank. You.

I’m not too familiar with those musical instruments so I’ll pass.

Banjeurine? (also known as Banjourine or Banjorine)

or

Banjolele?

Thank. You.

I’m not too familiar with those musical instruments so I’ll pass.

Banjeurine? (also known as Banjourine or Banjorine)

or

Banjolele?

Eventually, as in all sports, the two best teams remain: Lizzie, I believe you are up as vitanola* has won his bracket and is waiting for you to grab a racket and take to the court. It's like the Connors - McEnroe days.

* Hope your health is continuing to improve / hope you've seen your own doctor by now.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Banjolele. My mother got one for Christmas and has become a disciple of George Formby.

Gene Krupa or Dave Tough?

Krupa was a master, but also was a bit of a showboater. Davy Tough was equal in technical skill, and laid down a perfect beat, but kept out of the way of the band. Listen to any of the discs by the First Herd. Tough is there, all the way, supporting the ensemble and the soloists with ever changing rhythmic effects.
Krupa's stuff was truly great, but look where it led...

Cesere Sodero or Dominic Savino?

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Krupa was a master, but also was a bit of a showboater. Davy Tough was equal in technical skill, and laid down a perfect beat, but kept out of the way of the band. Listen to any of the discs by the First Herd. Tough is there, all the way, supporting the ensemble and the soloists with ever changing rhythmic effects.
Krupa's stuff was truly great, but look where it led...

Cesere Sodero or Dominic Savino?

Get the popcorn ready Fading Fast...it’s gonna be a long night.

I give the edge to vitanola over his “Maine” opponent
in this round! ;)

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Get the popcorn ready Fading Fast...it’s gonna be a long night.

I give the edge to vitanola over his “Maine” opponent
in this round! ;)
Oh, for heaven's sake, anyone who plays old records knows all of these folks. If you like swing music,for example, Davy Tough and Gene Krupa are two of the absolute greatest of drummers. Both are from Chicago, and both were involved with the so-called "Austin High Gang", a group of incredible, and latterly influential musicians who all attended Austin High School in the mid-1920's. Both were talented, but their basic personalities differed greatly, which showed in their playing.

Here is an early record of a number of that Chicago crowd, kids all, with Krupa providing the beat:

Now here is a 1938 aircheck of the Goodman band with Tough. Notice how he keeps the beat well but avoids Krupa style showboatng.

And a commercial recording of the band in 1936 with Krupa at the traps:

The whole caracter of the band changes.

I could be happy with either, were the other dear charmer away!

There is no competition here. I can only speak for myself, of course, but I love this stuff so much I want everyone to be exposed to it, and so spread it around as best I can. Miss Maine may have similar motivations.

Last edited:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Oh, for heaven's sake, anyone who plays old records knows all of these folks. If you like swing music,for example, Davy Tough and Gene Krupa are two of the absolute greatest of drummers. Both are from Chicago, and both were involved with the so-called "Austin High Gang", a group of incredible, and latterly influential musicians who all attended Austin High School in the mid-1920's. Both were talented, but their basic personalities differed greatly, which showed in their playing.

Here is an early record of a number of that Chicago crowd, kids all, with Krupa providing the beat:

To quote a former bartender....

Riiiggghhhttt! :D

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
No, I do not believe that I know you, for we have most certainly never met. I must say that I like the persona which you project on the internet. If it is anything like your own personality I would very much hope to win your friendship should we ever meet in the real world.

That said, I firmly believe that EVERYONE'S life would be improved by the possession of a talking machine and a select collection of 78s.

Last edited:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
... I firmly believe that EVERYONE'S life would be improved by the possession of a talking machine and a select collection of 78s.

I grew up in a large household.
Was not allowed to touch the fragile discs.
2n9xffc.gif

This was very popular with my grandmother and me when I was three.

I love music, no matter what era or time period.
If I liked the beat I would dance to it in the living
room with my grandma watching....
If I’m in the mood ...I still do! :D

Glenn Miller or Tommy Dorsey?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points