• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

This "sucks"... the Hoover And Other Vintage Vacuum Cleaners

Discussion in 'Your Vintage Home' started by PrettySquareGal, Dec 6, 2008.

1. A small appliance repair shop, then? Cool.

Used to be one of those near my old house. A Vietnamese immigrant fellow ran it. I always supposed he quite deliberately chose the (then) somewhat down-at-the-heel district (since gentrified) to open his little enterprise -- seeing how lower-income folks may well be more inclined to attempt a repair on an old labor-saving device than just go out and buy a new one.

2. Bingles

Bingles A-List Customer

I'd take that Kirby D50

3. scotrace

scotrace Head Bartender Staff Member

I've got a Kirby that has had the brush head swapped for the floor polisher, and the brush head is missing. They can't be that scarce...

4. Bingles

Bingles A-List Customer

They are easy to find on Ebay

5. scotrace

Sweet.

6. Jim B

Jim B New in Town

7. VintageEveryday

VintageEveryday One of the Regulars

we have a 1950s electrolux that still works perfectly, aside from a missing wheel. We were recently offered a lot of money for it, though i can't remember how much. I believe it also says automatic on the silver part where the hose attaches. anybody know the model name or years this was made? I was always told it was a model e from 1954, but i never could be certain.

4ee1f780-adda-4016-86b6-3011b0060d09.jpg.png apologies for the small, crooked photo.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  8. mflemming

mflemming One of the Regulars

9. scotrace

So yesterday, I brought out my five year old Shark Lift-Away, the one with the taped up hose to cover the cracks that started appearing almost right away, and the tank latch is pretty much shot. The whole thing is useless now. It worked really well when new, but fell apart fast.
    So I got out my 1926 Hoover 700 and did the job just fine. I'm thinking I might just try to locate a set of attachments for it and use that one all the time. With that, the little Hoover Dustette from the 30s and my shop vac, I should have things covered.
    There's a vacuum repair shop in my town, remarkably, which has parts and stuff going back into the nineteen teens. I'll check there today. eBay has never been a good source for me for Hoover stuff. Even if you find something, shipping is ridiculous.

Hoovers.jpg

vitanola and M Hatman like this.
  10. scotrace

Newly arrived via eBay. Now I have the 17 page instruction manual. I can't believe the dealer charged an extra 25 cents for the book!

IMG_0493.jpg