Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Time Traveler spotted at the 1928 Chaplin film "The Circus"

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
"This short clip is from the DVD which includes behind the scenes in Charlie Chaplin's film 'The Circus'. Attending the premiere at Manns Chinese Theatre in Hollywood, CA - the scene shows a large woman (or man), dressed in black and a hat, talking into something that only be described as a mobile phone device or possibly a walkie-talkie. Remember this is from 1928."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gj3qesTjOE8&feature=player_embedded#!

Last edited:

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
This reply to the video kinda sums up my thoughts...

A woman has her hand up next to her ear... THE ONLY POSSIBILITY IS THAT SHE IS FROM THE FUTURE! NOTHING ELSE IS AS LOGICAL AS THAT! IT'S A CONSPIRACY!!!

Don't be so ridiculous.

Watch your language please. This is a gentleman's club. -HJ

Last edited by a moderator:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
More likely, she's using an early hearing aid, which had a unit like a radio earphone which could be held up to the ear or worn on a head band. She could easily be carrying the bulky battery pack required in her coat, and the wires would be concealed by the angle of her arm.

But of course, as all the folks on You Tube know, everyone in the twenties was a yawping primitive clad in bearskins, so it has to be someone from The Future.

VitaminG

One of the Regulars
she might be holding her purse up to shield herself from the camera. Not everyone wants to be in the pictures. She might feel self-conscious being on camera. At the end of the clip she appears to peer around whatever it is she is holding up, possibly to see if she is still being filmed. :)

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
I believe the lady is talking on her cell phone saying "Don't worry my clothes and hair are perfect for this time period. There is no way I'll stick out. I'm going to go up to Chaplin and ask to take a picture of him with my phone." :D

Sincerely,
The Wolf

Phineas Lamour

Practically Family
I believe the lady is talking on her cell phone saying "Don't worry my clothes and hair are perfect for this time period. There is no way I'll stick out. I'm going to go up to Chaplin and ask to take a picture of him with my phone." :D

Sincerely,
The Wolf
Exactly! I bet she is the partner of the time traveler from the other picture a couple of months ago.

dragonaxe

One of the Regulars
Dude's, it's a fake! The film grain, resolution, and contrast of the opening "wide angle" shot is completely different to the scene that follows. And when it's slowed down there's no film imperfections to be seen (like a stray hair or fleeting white dots of dust/emulsion particles). It's too good a quality to be original.

Last edited:

Carnage

One of the Regulars
It is a 100% time traveller, bet they looked at a future version of the FL to get their disguise right too...

bumphrey hogart

One of the Regulars
Why is everyone being so sceptical? It's obvious the only reasonable explanation for this is time travel,and anyone who thinks it could be any of the myriad,alternative possible explanations is just being a spoilsport and I don't want to play anymore.Of course! It's Dr Who in drag!

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
If she's a time traveler, then all those homeless shopping cart pushers I used to see all the time in NYC are time travelers also. I'd swear they could hold the oddest conversations with themselves.

Mahagonny Bill

Practically Family
I have to go with fake/viral marketing. I checked my copy of the The Circus DVD extras and could not find the footage he is referring to.
You have to give him props for the fine job in fakery though. He had me going long enough to look at the DVD myself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff