• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

Time Traveler spotted at the 1928 Chaplin film "The Circus"

Discussion in 'The Observation Bar' started by flat-top, Oct 26, 2010.

1. flat-top

flat-top My Mail is Forwarded Here

"This short clip is from the DVD which includes behind the scenes in Charlie Chaplin's film 'The Circus'. Attending the premiere at Manns Chinese Theatre in Hollywood, CA - the scene shows a large woman (or man), dressed in black and a hat, talking into something that only be described as a mobile phone device or possibly a walkie-talkie. Remember this is from 1928."

Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
  2. Hmmmmmmmm . . . . . .
  3. This reply to the video kinda sums up my thoughts...

Watch your language please. This is a gentleman's club. -HJ
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2010
  4. More likely, she's using an early hearing aid, which had a unit like a radio earphone which could be held up to the ear or worn on a head band. She could easily be carrying the bulky battery pack required in her coat, and the wires would be concealed by the angle of her arm.

But of course, as all the folks on You Tube know, everyone in the twenties was a yawping primitive clad in bearskins, so it has to be someone from The Future.
  5. VitaminG

VitaminG One of the Regulars

she might be holding her purse up to shield herself from the camera. Not everyone wants to be in the pictures. She might feel self-conscious being on camera. At the end of the clip she appears to peer around whatever it is she is holding up, possibly to see if she is still being filmed. :)
  6. The Wolf

The Wolf Call Me a Cab

I believe the lady is talking on her cell phone saying "Don't worry my clothes and hair are perfect for this time period. There is no way I'll stick out. I'm going to go up to Chaplin and ask to take a picture of him with my phone." :D

The Wolf
  7. Exactly! I bet she is the partner of the time traveler from the other picture a couple of months ago.
  8. miss_elise

miss_elise Practically Family

it's can't be a mobile phone - who would she be calling with no reception
  9. dragonaxe

dragonaxe One of the Regulars

Dude's, it's a fake! The film grain, resolution, and contrast of the opening "wide angle" shot is completely different to the scene that follows. And when it's slowed down there's no film imperfections to be seen (like a stray hair or fleeting white dots of dust/emulsion particles). It's too good a quality to be original.
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
  10. Carnage

Carnage One of the Regulars

It is a 100% time traveller, bet they looked at a future version of the FL to get their disguise right too...
  11. Rookie1

Rookie1 New in Town

I say she has a headache and is pushing on her temple.
  12. bumphrey hogart

bumphrey hogart One of the Regulars

Why is everyone being so sceptical? It's obvious the only reasonable explanation for this is time travel,and anyone who thinks it could be any of the myriad,alternative possible explanations is just being a spoilsport and I don't want to play anymore.Of course! It's Dr Who in drag!
  13. haha, well he/she IS talking into something in her hand.....
  14. Carnage

Carnage One of the Regulars

Of course she could just be stark raving mental...
  15. If she's a time traveler, then all those homeless shopping cart pushers I used to see all the time in NYC are time travelers also. I'd swear they could hold the oddest conversations with themselves.
  16. In the past if someone was walking down the street talking to themselves we'd assume they were crazy.... today we assume they're just talking on the phone. Ah, the social advances of technology! lol

17. flat-top

flat-top My Mail is Forwarded Here

18. I like Lizzie Maine's idea.
  19. Mahagonny Bill

Mahagonny Bill Practically Family

I have to go with fake/viral marketing. I checked my copy of the The Circus DVD extras and could not find the footage he is referring to.
    You have to give him props for the fine job in fakery though. He had me going long enough to look at the DVD myself.
  20. I think Lizzie just doesn't want us to know how she managed to do it. That weighty costume is just to throw us off. ;):p