Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Time Warp Wives

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I'm sorry if this has been touched on already. I searched and didn't find anything. If I'm wrong, please delete!

Anyone seen this documentary from the BBC? First Cut originally aired it a year ago on the 8th. It sparked a fair bit of controversy.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1042702/Time-Warp-Wives-Meet-women-really-live-past.html

I thought the ladies were lovely people. Although they lead a more dedicated vintage lifestyle than most of us are accustomed to, they really ought to be appreciated for their courage and individuality! Besides, they aren't hurting anyone!

Thoughts? :)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
C-dot said:
I'm sorry if this has been touched on already. I searched and didn't find anything. If I'm wrong, please delete!

Anyone seen this documentary from the BBC? First Cut originally aired it a year ago on the 8th. It sparked a fair bit of controversy.

It got quite a bit of controversy here about a year ago, mostly revolving around quotes from the women involved taken out of context by reporters, making them sound like fantasy-world dimwits. A number of people here decided to pile on and ridicule them, and others got equally sharp from the other side. It wasn't pretty, and the thread is now gone because of it.

But the program is a perfectly valid topic for discussion, if we can avoid sweeping generalizations and piling on. Perhaps more people have actually seen the program now and can offer well-considered opinions of it?

For the record, I haven't seen it, and would be interested in people's impressions.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Absolutely. Also, in the year since then, Joanne Massey at least has stepped forward on a number of large online communities to give her side of the story about how the program was done. From her account, the producers were less than sympathetic, aiming to cause more of a public outrage and/or feminist debate. Here is the main interview: http://timewarpwivesinterviews.blogspot.com/#Joanne%20Massey

If you listen closely to the soundtrack on the program, the breaks in the sentences can clearly be heard and more than suggest that a little "doctoring" was done. But I digress: My aim here is to find out what people think of Time Warp Living as documented in the show. Should be interesting!

Lusti Weather

One of the Regulars
C-dot said:
I thought the ladies were lovely people. Although they lead a more dedicated vintage lifestyle than most of us are accustomed to, they really ought to be appreciated for their courage and individuality! Besides, they aren't hurting anyone!

I completely agree with this. I lucked out and was able to see the entire program on YouTube, right before it was taken off the site. To be honest, I loved it! My favorite era is post WWII, so I was absolutely bowled over by Joanne. Her house was incredible. I wish I could see the program again just so I could sigh over it some more!

GlamourDoll

Familiar Face
I loved the idea of it. I got so excited when I first learnt of the program. I don't remember how I originally heard of it. But I did everything I possibly could to learn more about it and to find the program/ watch it. Eventually I got to see one episode on some tv website before they took it off. But all the ladies were just lovely.

Here are some pictures of Joanne's kitchen:

article-1042702-0233FE7B00000578-35.jpg

l_637958ae42df403f9fd8ceb32bc7cd81.jpg

l_ac3c21ce0d654c3e8de133dc9e97093b.jpg

l_311800c6bf304ad88bdd243f8acac94e.jpg

50sGal

New in Town
GlamourDoll said:
I loved the idea of it. I got so excited when I first learnt of the program. I don't remember how I originally heard of it. But I did everything I possibly could to learn more about it and to find the program/ watch it. Eventually I got to see one episode on some tv website before they took it off. But all the ladies were just lovely.

Here are some pictures of Joanne's kitchen:

article-1042702-0233FE7B00000578-35.jpg

l_637958ae42df403f9fd8ceb32bc7cd81.jpg

l_ac3c21ce0d654c3e8de133dc9e97093b.jpg

l_311800c6bf304ad88bdd243f8acac94e.jpg
I totally agree with you GlamourDoll...How fab is her kitchen?????!!!!! I love it!!!!

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I adore all my vintage sisters. When I first read the article I was a sucked into believing all the lies that were printed about them -- and it disheartened me. But the 50s gal came on this board, told us the article was all misquoted, and I fell back in love with them! My husband (who is British) also told me the paper it was printed in is a rag. lol I've only seen clips of the programme on the Internet. I'd like to see the whole thing.

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
I read her story on the blog and I can't believe (well actually I can) how they misrepresented her like that! I would think her real story would be way more interesting than the manufactured one to more people. I guess they just wanted to incite a little controversy instead.:mad:

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I'm wondering if the backlash has become as big a story as the original story. I mean criticizing the mass media for these kinds of distortions is a thriving business these days. I would think a rival paper or network would have a field day with it.

SayCici

Practically Family
Her kitchen is amazing, but there must have been a small economic boost when she bought all of that stuff! Holy moly.

December

One of the Regulars
I watched it the first time round and I loved it!

In fact, it was that programme that inspired me to turn my love of all things 50s and 60s into an everyday lifestyle :)

December

One of the Regulars
Amy Jeanne said:
My husband (who is British) also told me the paper it was printed in is a rag.

Sorry to double post but this is so true- the Daily Mail is nationally ridiculed for being full of pretentious and judgemental scare-mongerers. lol

LizzieMaine

Bartender
What I really like about that kitchen is that it looks like a real, functional kitchen and not a movie set -- it wasn't all designed to pinpoint one era and one alone. There are thirties, forties, and fifties influences there, which is exactly what you'd find in a real house of the era -- one style merging gradually into another.

I want those wall tiles.

*martini*time*

A-List Customer
That was a very interesting article to read. I can see how some of the things those fabulous women said could be taken out of context. I myself would love to be a homemaker or housewife for my man. Unfortunately, in these ecominical times, that doesn't seem likely. I don't see any problems with women doing the "womenly" duties and the men doing the "manly" things. How many times have ladies complained that their husband/partner didn't do the dishes right or burnt the rice to the pot? That's why i feel it's easier to do the cooking and the cleaning. The gender roles are clearly defined in my relationship and i kind of like it that way.

ps. Her kitchen makes my heart flutter...i'm in love!

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
*martini*time* said:
Unfortunately, in these ecominical times, that doesn't seem likely. I don't see any problems with women doing the "womenly" duties and the men doing the "manly" things. How many times have ladies complained that their husband/partner didn't do the dishes right or burnt the rice to the pot? That's why i feel it's easier to do the cooking and the cleaning. The gender roles are clearly defined in my relationship and i kind of like it that way.

I agree with what you say. The whole point of the feminist struggle was to give women choice. It just seems that today, if you don't choose the options that are now available (ie. high paying career), you are setting the cause backwards. How narrow minded! :eek:fftopic:

I own a copy of the program (PM me for the torrent), and I've watched it at least 60 times! I'm in love with Joanne's kitchen and Ford Anglia. Has anyone visited her Myspace? She sings "A Nightingale Sang in Berkeley Square" like an angel!

GlamourDoll

Familiar Face
I've seen her myspace and it's lovely. I was kinda confused at first untill I read the interview with her about Lola Lamour. I hadn't a clue at first that that was her singing name. lol

But I really like that she does both 40's and 50's. Cause the program made it out to be that she just wore and did everything from the 50's. It's sad how the media is so messed up now a days.

Missy Hellfire

One of the Regulars
I covet that kitchen so very much!

I saw that programme and thought that it was terribly interesting and it also made me just a little envious that people were able to absorb themselves in the vintage lifestyle completely. As it has been said, misrepresentation or not they are hurting nobody and so what is wrong with the way that they choose to live their lives? They have chosen this and I am proud that we now have a society in which women can choose their lifestyles and besides, I can think of people who live lifestyles that are far more objectionable than theirs.

When this programme first aired I, much like December, realised that it was ok to embrace my love of all things vintage and it was a real boost for me. I am also trying to start up as a singer myself and so learning of Joanne's career has been really heartening!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff