Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Time Warp Wives

Rosie_Beau

One of the Regulars
I love the Time Warp Wives show!
It was a real eye opener for me when I watched it for the first time. I never knew that it was possible to live like that.
I have a very each to their own outlook on life so if they want to live their lives like that then more power to 'em! Also as for the housewife backlash thingey I like to think that, for me, feminism is about being equal to men. But that doesn't mean being the same as men. Celebrating the differences!
xxx

TimeWarpWife

One of the Regulars
The lovely "Time Warp Wives" actually inspired my ID name here at TFL. I'm kind of late to the game of this thread, but thought I'd throw in my 2 cents for what it's worth. I found out about the ladies from a very liberal perfume site I used to belong to and I was in the very small minority who found the ladies charming as well as brave to have opened up their lives to the world. Most of the comments on the site were negative and some downright viscious - IMO. Happily, I'm no longer a participant there. I feel much more at home here.

LizzieMaine mentioned about the myth of "housewives in heels" and both my own grandmothers were an attestment that it was indeed a myth. One always did her housework in a housecoat and slippers and the other only wore sensible, flat heeled shoes ever. They also weren't wearing pearls. lol

In my own marriage, dh and I pretty much have traditional roles. I do all the housework, laundry, and staying home with our child, while he is the breadwinner, does all the work on the cars, and takes out the garbage. And frankly, I like it this way. My only complaint is dh isn't on board with turning our home into a 30s/40s/50s dream house. I started "retrofying" the kitchen with some vintage canisters and breadbox and he commented that he really didn't want to turn our house into a vintage looking one. I guess he hasn't really paid much attention to the bedroom because it's furnished with a 40s/50s vanity and vintage bedspread with some 1940s women's magazines tossed around for good measure. :D Actually, last weekend when I was perusing some of the magazines, he sat down with me and looked at one of them too. We were commenting on all the things from the ads that were still available today. I figure if I do redecorate slowly, by the time I'm 80 I should pretty much have that 30s/40s/50s dream home. ;)

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Housework in Heels

According to Wikipedia,

In the show [Leave it to Beaver], Billingsley [who played housewife June Cleaver] often could be seen doing household chores wearing pearls and earrings. The pearls were her idea, which in real-life is actually her trademark. The actress has what she termed "a hollow" on her neck[1] and thought that wearing a strand of pearls could cover it up for the cameras. In later seasons of the show, she also started wearing high heels to compensate for the fact that the actors who played her sons were growing up and getting taller than her.[2]​

I guess some people not familiar with the era take the show a bit too literally.

MirandaFern

Familiar Face
TimeWarpWife said:
My only complaint is dh isn't on board with turning our home into a 30s/40s/50s dream house. I started "retrofying" the kitchen with some vintage canisters and breadbox and he commented that he really didn't want to turn our house into a vintage looking one. I guess he hasn't really paid much attention to the bedroom because it's furnished with a 40s/50s vanity and vintage bedspread with some 1940s women's magazines tossed around for good measure. :D Actually, last weekend when I was perusing some of the magazines, he sat down with me and looked at one of them too. We were commenting on all the things from the ads that were still available today. I figure if I do redecorate slowly, by the time I'm 80 I should pretty much have that 30s/40s/50s dream home. ;)

I'm actually really lucky. Fiance and I were furniture shopping one day. While I was trying to find something in which to store my record collection, I heard him say "I REALLY like this couch." I expected to see something hideous and man cave worthy when I turned around. Imagine my surprise to discover him admiring an adorable mid-century modern inspired, tuffed sofa. And it hasn't been an isolated event. House hunting has proven him drawn to the cute little postwar bungalows. So, while he's not a Vintage Enthusist, he seems to appreciate the aethetics, even if he doesn't recognize them as such.

GoddessMama

One of the Regulars
I would love to watch this, but every time I try it says this is not avalable in my area? Can any one in the US tell me where I can watch this?

TimeWarpWife

One of the Regulars
MirandaFern said:
I'm actually really lucky. Fiance and I were furniture shopping one day. While I was trying to find something in which to store my record collection, I heard him say "I REALLY like this couch." I expected to see something hideous and man cave worthy when I turned around. Imagine my surprise to discover him admiring an adorable mid-century modern inspired, tuffed sofa. And it hasn't been an isolated event. House hunting has proven him drawn to the cute little postwar bungalows. So, while he's not a Vintage Enthusist, he seems to appreciate the aethetics, even if he doesn't recognize them as such.

What a lucky girl you are! Your fiance sounds like he's definitely a keeper. :)

TillyMilly

One of the Regulars
I'm also lucky that my SO is a retrophile- infact he was more so than me when we met and has only encouraged my tastes.

My home was ultra sleek & modern since my last SO- and slowly it's becoming more lovely and retro- especially since my new beau moved in and bought all his 'old stuff' (his words).

Marla

A-List Customer
MissHannah said:
The only good thing about that show was getting to see the women's clothes and homes. I recommend watching it with the sound off!

I saw it on youtube which I don't think will block you if you're watching from another country

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBixE95V43w

Unfortunately, it is blocked! There seems to be no way for those outside of the U.K. to see it, save for on TV. That's if it's even broadcast anymore!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112