Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

To beard or not to beard?

Had a beard for almost 40 years. There's a largish mole to the right side of my chin, the skin around it is very thin and susceptible to the razor, times I've discovered, too late, that the mole is bleeding. Ruined many a good shirt. On a visit to my doctor I asked if it could be removed. He advised not to, apparently removing a mole can create hormonal release, it should be avoided. "Why don't you grow a beard?" asked my doctor. Crazy as it sounds, I hadn't thought of it. That beard was kept trimmed crop close, had it done every two weeks, same time as my haircut. Never a murmur from the missus, well sometimes, but I'm not going to go there.
Forty years on and the beard is akin to a Santa impression, the vanity in me, preferred the mole to the silver whiskers. I would still like to get rid of the mole though.

US Docs would remove the mole. I have a couple which doctors have offered to address for cosmetic reasons several times over the years. I keep them secret!

Or, another suggestion... Photoshop!

Jealousy here!!
Other than a circle beard (which most people mistakenly refer to as a "goatee"), I can't grow a beard to save my life. Wish I could.
"Circle" beard? I've never heard that term before, and that's what I'm referring to when I say I've worn a "mustache and goatee". Are people really so ridiculous that they have to make that distinction between whether or not the mustache and goatee are connected? o_O

Plus, a beard can hide the start of a double-chin.
Grown to the right length and properly groomed, it can also help to hide a double chin that's been around for a while.

totallyfrozen

One of the Regulars
"Circle" beard? I've never heard that term before, and that's what I'm referring to when I say I've worn a "mustache and goatee". Are people really so ridiculous that they have to make that distinction between whether or not the mustache and goatee are connected?...
Apparently. I don't make the names up. The names for the various facial hair styles exist just like names of haircut styles. Or...just like crown bashes. I just look at the online charts. Or course there are inconsistencies. "Goatee" is such a ubiquitous term now that, truthfully, without a photo you don't know what style someone is talking about when they say it. Interestingly, you knew exactly what style I was referring to without ever having heard the term before or seeing a picture. So apparently as ridiculous as it is, it's effective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I've had a goatee for many years (with a small break due to a misguided, yet necessary segment of my life).

I am currently growing the whole beard back in, but it won't be kept any longer than a #3 or 4 clip on my Wahl.

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
e9026a4887f8e4e611204b593e949d6792982dbe_r.jpg

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Oh man, it's a wonderful dialogue:

My face fur looks much like Riker's (though I resemble him in no other way. Well, okay, I do have good hair). But I grew mine the year before Frakes grew his for ST. I've thought of going to a goatee a la Alan Rickman's Hans Gruber in Die Hard, but if I didn't like it, growing the hair back would be a hassle. For now, beard it is.

I do shave, though, the cheeks, lower lip on either side of the tuft, and my throat. So I get the best of both worlds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk