Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

To clean or not to clean.

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
I just got this nice cafe racer. Probably 60's if not early 70's.

I was wondering if I should clean it and do the full treatment without damaging the artwork.

Maybe I just rock it as is?
What would you do?

back.jpg
back.jpg

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    361.3 KB · Views: 125

Peacoat

Bartender
Do as little as possible. If the lining smells, clean it; if not, leave it alone. If the leather is dry and starting to crack, put Pecard on it; if not, leave it alone. The less you do to leather, the better off you will be.

That's why I don't care for the 'patina' on lighter colored leathers. Usually no undercoat to show through. Any aging or surface change seems to be mainly soiling. I would be trying to get the dirt off much of the time. Just not for me.

Edward

Bartender
I'd go with Seb's idea for the interior if it shows grubbiness, otherwise just a few squirts of Febreze. I really like the look fo this one with the artwork. Commercially done art often looks too..... well, just too good, somehow. This one has that simpler look of being home-made, done by the guy himself, something that made him individual. I wonder if he owned a Harley and an Indian, or one after the other? Cool jacket. Enjoy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points