Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

To wax or not to wax ????

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
goldwyn girl said:
Lolita, my mum told me to shave my underarms using the baby powder and electric razor, works great. She grew up in the 40's but I can't say for sure if thats when she started doing it.

I keep meaning to try this technique, but I don't have an electric razor. I was told about this by Burlesque Legend, Satan's Angel (1960's). She says that it helps with razor burn in the bikini zone, which I have a terrible time with. :(

Elaina

One Too Many
I'd love the recipe too, since shaving always makes my legs have the little black dots all over them, and I have to do it so often my legs hurt.

For those of you with fine hair PFFT! You suck.

Bit of TMFI here, I have to shave the little girl bits. If I don't, poof! I've been doing so for so long, tho, it quit bothering me, and I can do the nair and be ok. A good product for rash and bumps is bikini bare afterwards. I can't do the pits, much as I would like to, because all the lymphnodes from the pits to the breasts are so scarred up that it's raised and so badly scarred, you're not likely to see my elbows due to it. Also what little hair I have left there, I can shave off and get away with, but then again, NO ONE (and I do mean no one, not hubby, not kid, not cat) sees the scarring.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Elaina said:
For those of you with fine hair PFFT! You suck.

lol lol lol
I only shave my legs about 5 times a year. My hair is fine and redish blonde and barely there. My armpits only grow a tiny amount of peach fuzz, but if I don't shave them every few days they begin to smell -- even with that little amount of hair.

Won't go into girl parts discussion!! ;)

Being hairless also causes me to have to draw on my eyebrows because I HARDLY HAVE ANY EYEBROW HAIR. I know a lot of girls don't like that look, but some of us just can't help it. I'm proof. My grandmother has no eyebrows, either. I blame her.

BitterEpiphany

Familiar Face
This is kinda the short version so that I don't babble on forever. I can't claim this is my own recipe, i found it online somewhere i no longer remember.

INGREDIENTS
1 7/8 C white granulated sugar
1/4 C water
1/4 C lemon juice​

DIRECTIONS
Dump everything into a sauce pan - you want the big one, not the little one. It will foam and you'll have a mess if you use a small pan. (if you have one that has a light bottom - i.e., isn't teflon coated - it's better than not because you'll be able to see the color change but if you don't, just use a white spatula to test the color) You're going to cook it, over medium heat, until it hits 120 (F) - if you have a candy thermomator and are paranoid, that's great. Otherwise, you're looking for something that seems to move a little bit like warm honey - liquid, but still slow moving. WARNING: The stuff is going to foam like mad while you're doing this. It's going to boil. That's OK. Just keep stirring it until it turns an amber color - a lot like the color of honey.

When it's done, it should be somewhat viscus and amber color. Just dump it off into a container. You're making more than you're going to need, odds on, so putting it into a reheatable glass container that you can seal and store is going to be your best bet. A shallow mason jar will work well.

From there, you can either wait for it to cool and use it the same day or you can make it ahead and reheat it. The reheating instructions are basic. Boil water. Insert jar. Let sit until its almost as hot as you can comfortably stand. Then, just spread it on with a spatula or a disposable tongue depresser, then apply a strip of fabric, wait until it cools some and rip. The faster the better, against the grain - just give the thing a swift tug.

The first one hurts the worst, so if you're not someone who can already wax at home, you might want to put a few on right away. If you really chicken out, just dunk your leg in some warm water (the shower works) and the sugar mixture will dissolve and you can change your mind. But, you are somewhat committed to getting them off, and that will help get you through to that second and third strip that don't hurt quite so much :p

Oh, and speaking of razor bumps - if you hit the area (any area) with warm water or a soaked towel, then follow with lotion (the non-irratating unscented normal kind) they'll mello right out.

Flora

Familiar Face
Try looking up the old Egyptian art of body sugaring. Google body sugaring :) Good for your skin AND great results! Better results than with regular wax AND less painful :):):)

Kimberly

Practically Family
Flora said:
Try looking up the old Egyptian art of body sugaring. Google body sugaring :) Good for your skin AND great results! Better results than with regular wax AND less painful :):):)

I have heard about that and was curious about it. Thanks for the reminder. I could neve wax my legs but have no problem waxing my eyebrows or bikini line.

Flora

Familiar Face
Kimberly said:
I have heard about that and was curious about it. Thanks for the reminder. I could neve wax my legs but have no problem waxing my eyebrows or bikini line.
Make sure that when you wax your eyebrows, you do not wax to change the thickness, but just to keep things clean. You know how trends in eyebrows are, ALWAYS CHANGING. haha. So it's best to stay safe and to not weaken your thickness by waxing. If you do wish to change the thickness, please use tweezers, as the effect won't be as permanent from what I've heard.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Flora said:
Make sure that when you wax your eyebrows, you do not wax to change the thickness, but just to keep things clean. You know how trends in eyebrows are, ALWAYS CHANGING. haha. So it's best to stay safe and to not weaken your thickness by waxing. If you do wish to change the thickness, please use tweezers, as the effect won't be as permanent from what I've heard.

As far as I know it's pretty difficult to change the thickness of your brows with wax. To do so, you would have to put wax directly over the brow and you'd end up pulling out most all of your hair.
I know I've said it quite a few times, but those Ardell cold wax eyebrow shapers are wonderful. Also, some gals don't wax because the hair needs to be of certain thickness and length for good removal. These strips say that they should be used on longer hairs, but I used them the other day on some shorter ones and they came out just fine. They are shaped, mess free, and you can also cut to use them in the center of your brows.

I also just started using Strip Free Honee microwave formula hair removal system by GiGi. I got it at Adiscountbeauty.com. It's wonderful for legs and bikini area. It's also a lot less messy, and not nearly as painful. I had such success with my legs that I tried it in the bikini area. It was virtually pain free and I had very little irritation afterwards. The best part, no awful sticky mess:)
I also got Clean & Easy InGrown Hair Inhibitor Pads. Your supposed to use them for at least 3 to 4 days before hair removal, then once a day after. Ugh, I should have known by the strong alcohol smell that this might not be something that I want to do. I also should have looked at the ingredients first, the first ingredient is alcohol. UGH!!!:eek: :( Not my best idea this week. Wow, I was dancing in pain! You know that kind of sting that makes you feel sick to your stomach. I do not recommend these. I've had good luck lately using bikini zone. I don't know why I thought I should try something new. Silly silly girl. Why does being a lady have to be so painful at time?:mad:

Oh, and thanks BitterEpiphany for the sugaring directions. I've actually always wanted to try that. I heard it's less painful than waxing and the results last a good amount of time. It also just seems that it would be less harmful to the body. I always felt that way about home remedies of any kind, there's just something nice about mixing your own potions:)

BitterEpiphany

Familiar Face
I have so many allergies to so many things that I really just find it easier when i know what goes into something.

I know what i'm NOT allergic to (strangely, it's easier than to list what I AM allergic to because there is always something new) so when something like body sugaring comes along and i can do a batch that would last me a few months for a few dollars as opposed to a twenty dollar jar of something or other with words i have to use my classics education to decipher? No contest.

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
When I wax at home, I use a product by Nair that is in a roll-on container. It spreads the wax evenly and thinly. I don't have a problem ripping off my own hair :) The wax by Nair also is water soluable, so it washes right off. Easy!

I recently graduated to the tub of wax by Nair, because it is a better price. But I have gotten tired of how long it takes, and shave occasionally now. [huh]

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Elaina said:
Thank you BE, my husband is looking forward to inflicitng much pain on me.
lol My hubby actually bought me a waxing kit for my birthday..believe me, they get this mischeavious grin on thier faces as their about to pull off the strips...sadistic if you ask me:p

pigeon toe

One Too Many
I'm probably gonna try out the sugaring method this weekend. I have some Sally Hansen microwaveable wax but it's super sticky and messy and gets everywhere! And trust me, that can be super frightening when you're waxing your bikini area!! :eek:

goldwyn girl

One Too Many
To wax my eyebrows I use "Aussie Nads" now don't laugh, thats the name. Its an Australian waxing product and is available at Walmart. There are several types for different areas. The eyebrow one has a wand applicator and fabric strips. It washes off easily with water.

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ha ha I was reading a trade article or something and the ladies who developed the Aussie Nads said it was a daughter's nickname of Nadia or the like, they didn't know it was a 'term' used elsewhere in the world, and that they get a lot of strange hits from the website. Cute story.

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
My friend married a Brit, and her name, Sharon, got shortened to Shazz. Shazz reminds me of spazz, which is short for spastic, but I won't tell her that lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider