Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

To wax or not to wax ????

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
I wax my arms in the summer with that water-soluble stuff. I love it! And my hair grows back noticeably thinner and lighter on my arms.

i've been thinking about doing this as well... i used to be an obsessive arm-shaver. i've gotten myself out of the habit but my arm hair is crazy enough to need at-least occasional management and waxing is def better than shaving in that regard!

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I'm an obsessive arm shaver. Even though I'm a natural redhead (auburn, really), my body hair is thick, dark, and coarse. If I had fine or light arm hair, I'd just leave it, but my arms look like those of a gorilla if I do not shave them. At first the idea of shaving one's arms seemed odd to me, then I realized that I just wasn't seeing women running around with the amount of arm hair I was sporting. I knew it was bad when one day my manicurist offered to wax my arms. lol The first day I did it, it made a HUGE difference. My arms look and feel so much more feminine sans hair.

I am considering just waxing them instead. It'd probably be easier!

anabolina

A-List Customer
I tried waxing once and that was it. My eyebrows are barely there anyway, but I let a freind and the cosmotologist convice me to try it once. Man did it hurt, and my brows were bright red afterward and stayed red all afternoon even though we tried putting ice on it to tone down the redness. It didn't hurt after the waxing, it was just red [huh] Anyway I guess I have the same reaction as you whatadump. I don't think I'll do it again since the change was not noticable to anyone but me and I'd rather not feel pain.

I also shaved my arms as a teenager, but have gotten away from that now and stick to the pits and legs. Thankfully my hair is really light and I can get away with shaving the legs once a week.

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
I've been an arm-shaver since 7th grade. I like how it looks and feels...except when it grows back, of course! Sometimes I like to wax my face for the smoothness (it takes to makeup better), but I can totally get away without doing that. Sometimes I'll epilate my bikini area, but it really irritates and takes forever! You have to do that at least a day before hitting the beach. Shaving is a pain, but convenient, I suppose...

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
People always ask me if I shave my arms, but I don't. Luckily, my arm hair is just so light and fine and short....

The problem I have with the bikini area is that I just can't stand the grow-back. Doesn't matter if I've shaved or waxed... the stubble just drives me CRAZY!

princessofcandl

One of the Regulars
KittyT said:
The problem I have with the bikini area is that I just can't stand the grow-back. Doesn't matter if I've shaved or waxed... the stubble just drives me CRAZY!

You know... thats the big reason I love waxing the bikini area. I don't consider the regrowth "stuble" cuz its really smooth. I call is a shadow (cute huh?) cuz the hair grows and you get enough lenth to wax again but it is lighter, lays down smoothly, and is smooth. Rock on! Thats the best where you don't have to feel prickley.

PolkaDotMeggie

A-List Customer
Ok I am going to have to start this topic up again.

One thing that was not really mentioned was waxing or shaving downbelow. What makes me cringe at the thought was I saw an old episode of "America's Next Top Model" and they had to get a brazilian wax. Is that different than a bikini wax? Does anyone have helpful hints on how to get over the anxiety of laying on a table in your undies infront of someone you don't know? I had my legs done.... it it took the girl nearly 3 hours! HELP! I want my husband to stop calling me "Sas-Crotch" (hehe sasquatch)!!!

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
PolkaDotMeggie said:
Ok I am going to have to start this topic up again.

One thing that was not really mentioned was waxing or shaving downbelow. What makes me cringe at the thought was I saw an old episode of "America's Next Top Model" and they had to get a brazilian wax. Is that different than a bikini wax? Does anyone have helpful hints on how to get over the anxiety of laying on a table in your undies infront of someone you don't know? I had my legs done.... it it took the girl nearly 3 hours! HELP! I want my husband to stop calling me "Sas-Crotch" (hehe sasquatch)!!!

That seems pretty ridiculous of your husband. Do what's comfortable for you!

Also, there are several alternatives to the Playboy prepubescent ideal shoved in our faces these days.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
I think with a brazilian wax, you don't even keep your panties on! It seriously takes of the whole shebang, except for a tiny strip in the middle!

I use an epilator and have got pretty used to it now. But I think that rather inflicting a lot of pain or trying to remove everything, it's better to keep everything neat, using a little clipper for example.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have been getting brazilians for 7 years now! The first time hurts a LOT, afterwards not too bad. The trick is to relax.

With brazilians, it depends on the waxer. Sometimes you don't wear panties at all; sometimes they give you these little disposable panties that she moves around and keeps you covered for the most part. However, everything is getting taken off.

Personally, I don't get shy about it anymore. But pick a reputable salon and they'll have it set up nicely so, even though it might be awkward for you, it's a relaxing setting. Remember your waxer has seen (and waxed) everything under the sun, so she could care less.

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
On the subject of waxing, I've got to rave about Nad's (if you're comfortable waxing anything yourself). I've officially upgraded from being an obsessive arm-shaver to an occasional arm-waxer!

A regular container will last six months. They only include a few cloth strips, but I actually get better results from using that cheap $1/yard left over from old sewing projects. I also prefer using a plastic butter knife to the little plastic spatula included to apply the stuff. Butter knives make it easier to spread a very thin layer (it won't work if it's thick), and they sort of comb the hair into place too, hehehe. The more you wax, the more compliant the hair becomes, and the easier and faster it is to do. Aside from my arms, I use it for my bikini line. I would also like to try it on my legs and underarms, if I can ever be bothered to grow out the hair for two weeks!

I like that its ingredients are pretty pure, too:
Glucose, fructose, water, date fruit extract, honey, vinegar, lemon juice, kiwi extract, peppermint leaf extract, citric acid, yellow 5 and blue 1.

I buy it at Target.

PolkaDotMeggie

A-List Customer
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
Personally, I don't get shy about it anymore. But pick a reputable salon and they'll have it set up nicely so, even though it might be awkward for you, it's a relaxing setting. Remember your waxer has seen (and waxed) everything under the sun, so she could care less.

I agree completely-- I am sure that they have seen everything

On the subject of waxing, I've got to rave about Nad's (if you're comfortable waxing anything yourself). I've officially upgraded from being an obsessive arm-shaver to an occasional arm-waxer!

A regular container will last six months. They only include a few cloth strips, but I actually get better results from using that cheap $1/yard left over from old sewing projects. I also prefer using a plastic butter knife to the little plastic spatula included to apply the stuff. Butter knives make it easier to spread a very thin layer (it won't work if it's thick), and they sort of comb the hair into place too, hehehe. The more you wax, the more compliant the hair becomes, and the easier and faster it is to do. Aside from my arms, I use it for my bikini line. I would also like to try it on my legs and underarms, if I can ever be bothered to grow out the hair for two weeks!

I like that its ingredients are pretty pure, too:
Glucose, fructose, water, date fruit extract, honey, vinegar, lemon juice, kiwi extract, peppermint leaf extract, citric acid, yellow 5 and blue 1.
I think that sounds like something I could do. I am going to try that! Thanks for the tips.

Miss Scarlet

One of the Regulars
I'm bringing this topic up again for any of those concerned about vintage lady bits removal. Some of you asked if they ever did it, well going right back to the 1700s prostitutes used to shave everything off their lady bits to prevent lice, they then put a merkin on to hide the baldness (sometimes). I wonder if they still did this in the 40s, but then again you might not want to copy prostitute fashion. Interestingly high heels also developed from prostitute fashion.

A funny little story, art critic Ruskin, in the 1800s could not consumate his marriage to his wife. They ended up having the marriage annulled. It turned out he wouldn't touch her because he thought she was abnormal...having hairy lady bits. He'd only ever seen Renaissance paintings where women had no hair down below. Men are funny little things.

There is an interesting book called The Last Taboo: Women and Body Hair, which I am intent on buying as it sounds fascinating.

I basically think throughout history women have removed and grown body hair so it's pretty much up to how comfortable you feel with/without hair. Personally I get rid of everything and I admit that's moreso down to social constructs.

I have rambled endlessly, so apologies.

Gingerella72

A-List Customer
Just thought I'd throw this out there, in the movie Tender Comrade (1943), Ginger Rogers and her husband are bickering over domestic stuff and he complains to her: "...someone's been using my razor, and it's not the cat!" The jab is aimed at her, who has obviously been using his razor. lol

I imagine some women back then had to shave the bikini area, regardless of the "modesty panels" on swimsuits....unfortunately, some of us women have more hair down there than a modesty panel can hide. :rolleyes: It's for this reason that I don't swim or wear swim suits. Thankfully I have a husband who understands and doesn't care about it when I wear lingerie!

Sincerely-Dee

One of the Regulars
Ancient Romans removed a lot of their body hair - both men and women. They shaved, plucked or rubbed the hair off with a pumice stone I believe.

I think that the Ancient Egyptians used a kind of sugar wax as a hair removal method.

Foofoogal

Banned
I get my eyebrows waxed. I have no idea why but the hardest part is when a few stray hairs then need to be plucked. To me plucking eyebrows is torturous to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21