Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Todays crooner#1

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Check out a guy from Buffalo, NY named Michael Civisca. I have all of his CD's and have seen him perform several times with our local big band. He can really swing! Nice guy too.

His site is: www.michaelcivisca.com You can hear some of his tracks on it.

BRS

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Brian Sheridan said:
Check out a guy from Buffalo, NY named Michael Civisca. I have all of his CD's and have seen him perform several times with our local big band. He can really swing! Nice guy too.

BRS

Interesting listening to the samples on the site - he sounds a lot like classic Sinatra.

LadyStardust

Practically Family
Brian Sheridan said:

BRS

My God, he's fantastic!! I had never heard of him before, so I'm very grateful for the link and introduction, indeed! I have to agree with Mike above, he sounds almost identical to Sinatra, even with a "clearer" style, I think.
As for my own suggestion, I'll put up Max Raabe. He's more 30's style, and I can see how he might put people off, but I think he's great.
http://www.palastorchester.de/index2.php

lindylady

A-List Customer
Josh Groban has the voice for crooning, but he hasn't ventured into this style of singing yet. Perhaps he'll explore it in his next album.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Crooner - maybe, maybe not, but just an all-around great pop/Broadway baritone is Richard Muenz (rhymes with "you-uns"). He used to be on Garrison Keillor's American Radio Company out of NYC.

Richard's bio mentions that he played in Camelot alongside both Richard Burton and Richard Harris. I guess this makes him Richard the Third.

Trickeration

Practically Family
Johnny Boyd

Johnny's the singer from the band Indigo Swing. The band is no longer together, and Johnny's done a couple of solo runs since then, but they're not quite as good as the stuff with the band. He's still the top crooner in my book, though. I haven't met a girl in the dance scene yet who doesn't just love Johnny Boyd. In fact I've met some who drove over 200 miles to catch his shows. There's no other voice like his.

Here's a link to a CD site where you can hear some Indigo Swing stuff. I suggest tracks #'s 5 and 13 from Indigo Swing, #'s 3 and 14 from All Aboard, and track #4 from Red Light to get a feel for his "crooning" style.

http://www.cduniverse.com/sresult.asp?HT_Search=xartist&HT_Search_Info=Indigo+Swing&cart=462613489

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Chris Issak is awesome - though not the model of a crooner. His concerts are the best I have ever seen. I hung out with him after a show several years ago and we talked about our mutal appreciation for jazz legend Chet Baker. Isaak is a super cool guy who never let fame and fortune go to his head.

BRS

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Spitfire said:
Just need some inspiration and input.
Besides Harry Connick jr., Jamie Cullum and Michael Bubl?©, who are the crooners of 2007?
Make sure you have "We Are in Love" and "Blue Light, Red Light" by Harry Connick Jr. THOSE are the "must have" albums!

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
flat-top said:
Make sure you have "We Are in Love" and "Blue Light, Red Light" by Harry Connick Jr. THOSE are the "must have" albums!
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
I know. Thanks. I think I have all the albums that H.C.jr. has ever produced.
Not all as good as these two, but what the heck....when you like him, you like him. Never been to a concert though. Hope he soon comes to Europe. Some place near.

GOK

One Too Many
Spitfire said:
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
I know. Thanks. I think I have all the albums that H.C.jr. has ever produced.
Not all as good as these two, but what the heck....when you like him, you like him. Never been to a concert though. Hope he soon comes to Europe. Some place near.

Harry rocks! I went to see him back in '95 - fantastic, although I have to say that I preferred his band's set to his as he was performing stuff mostly from his (then) forthcoming album, Star Turtle. It was good but not as good as his swing and jazz IMO. Have you heard his version of The Bare Necessities? Brilliant!

Back on topic - Ray Gelato is my absolute #1. I've been a bit of a fan-girl since I first saw him back in 1981. I last saw him a couple of months ago and he is still the best!

I don't really care for Jamie Callum - I actually find him incredibly boring.

Ever heard of Peter Grant? He's only 18 but has the most amazing voice. We're going to one of his gigs next month.

I'd never heard of Michael Civisca before I saw this thread but now I'm thinking I'd like to hear more! :D

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Harry Connick Jr has a new Cd coming out at the end of this month. It's a tribute to New Orleans and sounds to be pretty heartfelt. Also met him a few times when he was starting out and he was in total awe and fear of Sinatra. Harry's father (the former N.O. D.A.) is also a crooner in more of the non-jazz mold.

BRS

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk