Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tonight is Devil's Night...

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

All the days and nights belong to the one true God. The devil just likes the night yet has no claim on it.

Having said that, I am looking forward to taking my kids trick-or-treating...which is a fun American tradition....regardless of its original inspiration.

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
PrettySquareGal said:
Tonight is the night that I try not to eat the Halloween candy I bought for the trick-or-treaters! And watch Charlie Brown. :D

Same here. No one bothers my house, I think the kids are scared to because they know I'll turn the hose on them if I catch them in my yard. lol

Tomorrow night, we'll hand out candy and watch Ghosthunters.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well, where I am, they call it Gate Night which will unfortunately involve eggs being thrown, shaving cream etc. As a kid in the Bronx I'd never heard of any of this...Halloween itself was the day that all the mischief went down!
I'll also be watching The Great Pumpkin with my gal and our 2 year old tonight!

Starius

Practically Family
flat-top said:
..or Mischief Night, or Gate Night..the night before Halloween. What do they call it where you live? And what happens?

Where I'm from, I don't think it's anything. Enough mischief goes can on All Hallows Eve, we don't need a warmup day.

Ada Veen

Practically Family
Where I grew up (rural Yorkshire) Mischief Night (or Miggy Night, as kids called it!) was HUGE, a much bigger deal than halloween. The big events were 'miggy night' and then 'bonfire night' on the 5th November.

In London, where I live now, no one has heard of Mischief night. Weird, huh?

Since Walmart became the biggest supermarket in the vicinity of my old village, Halloween is much bigger now, as the supermarket is full of costumes and candies for the whole of October.

Girl Friday

Practically Family
All Hallows Eve and the Day of the Dead is when the veil between the living and the dead is at it's thinnest. I consider it a celebration of our loved ones that have passed on, a time to remember and to celebrate life.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Mischief night is for young guys who are still old enough to know better to run around and steal people's pumpkins and throw eggs at things. Occasionally it gets worse than that, (vandalism, fires) but here there's always this weird nervous panic before hand and it never gets all THAT bad, its like buying bread and milk and shovels for an inch of snow.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
We used to call it Pumpkin-Smashing Night, since that was the primary sort of mischief that went on in our neighborhood. They always left our house alone, though, after the year my mother covered our pumpkin with Karo syrup. The Pumpkin Smashers picked it up -- but they had an awful hard time letting go!

David V

A-List Customer
Ada Veen said:
Where I grew up (rural Yorkshire) Mischief Night (or Miggy Night, as kids called it!) was HUGE, a much bigger deal than halloween. The big events were 'miggy night' and then 'bonfire night' on the 5th November.

Since Walmart became the biggest supermarket in the vicinity of my old village, Halloween is much bigger now, as the supermarket is full of costumes and candies for the whole of October.

What! Your's is still peddling Holloween. Most have had the Christmas decor out Since the first of the month.

Story

I'll Lock Up
Viola said:
Mischief night is for young guys who are still old enough to know better to run around and steal people's pumpkins and throw eggs at things. Occasionally it gets worse than that, (vandalism, fires) but here there's always this weird nervous panic before hand and it never gets all THAT bad, its like buying bread and milk and shovels for an inch of snow.

You were probably a little girl, the night the morons nearly burnt down Camden - but you could probably see the fires from where you live(d).

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Story said:
You were probably a little girl, the night the morons nearly burnt down Camden - but you could probably see the fires from where you live(d).

I was seven in '91 which was the huge one. I seem to remember the next morning one of my friends announcing 'New Jersey burned down!'

I was always more scared of Mischief Night than Halloween, Halloween was pretend.

Story

I'll Lock Up
Viola said:
I was always more scared of Mischief Night than Halloween, Halloween was pretend.

It's still scary - catch the end of the 11 o'clock news, I just watched every freakin' squad car pass by responding to that cop shot at 15th street.

Miss 1929

Never heard of it!

Only Halloween in California. Sounds like an oldie that never made it here.
I am scared enough what with the earthquake a few minutes ago, I don't need any more tension, thank you!
I am not all that afraid of earthquakes per se, but our foundation needs work on one corner, and I picture the house spilling the grand piano into the street... that's a horror film!

Mike in Seattle

LizzieMaine said:
We used to call it Pumpkin-Smashing Night, since that was the primary sort of mischief that went on in our neighborhood. They always left our house alone, though, after the year my mother covered our pumpkin with Karo syrup. The Pumpkin Smashers picked it up -- but they had an awful hard time letting go!

Tucking this idea away for the future should it be needed...putting Karo on the shopping list for tomorrow...

Phil

A-List Customer
Drinking Night?

In Chicago we called it Fright Night. I'm not sure what it's called here in Ames, Iowa. From the way the college has been, it's drinking night. Of course, that's pretty much every night except Sober Sunday.[huh]

artful dodgette

One of the Regulars
Ada Veen said:

im from yorkshire too, so i know miggy night too! especially the egg throwing! ha ha!:p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points