Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

tonyb.....hatter and a gentleman

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
^Not to knock custom by any means, but at the prices smaller sizes go for it would be hard not to stick with vintage.

bolthead

I agree Alan....

AlanC said:
^Not to knock custom by any means, but at the prices smaller sizes go for it would be hard not to stick with vintage.
....and that's why my my habit is probably so adictive. :D

....but it would also be nice to own a custom as well. :rolleyes:

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
I'm excited guys, my Dad and I are heading over to Tony's tommorrow to get a peek at the fedora/western hybrid he is making for my Dad. He is a lifelong cowboy hat wearer, but this will be his first custom. This will be the lid he takes to Hong Kong in a few weeks, so it will certainly get alot of attention:D

indycop

I'll Lock Up
handlebar bart said:
I'm excited guys, my Dad and I are heading over to Tony's tommorrow to get a peek at the fedora/western hybrid he is making for my Dad. He is a lifelong cowboy hat wearer, but this will be his first custom. This will be the lid he takes to Hong Kong in a few weeks, so it will certainly get alot of attention:D
I can't wait to see this one! The Major is making a western hybrid for my youngest for Christmas.:D

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
My Dad and I went to Tony's tonight to pick up his Western-fedora hybrid. He is really happy with it as the pictures show. Tony hit another one out of the park.:eusa_clap
dadcm1.png

dad2fx3.png

BobC

handlebar bart said:
My Dad and I went to Tony's tonight to pick up his Western-fedora hybrid. He is really happy with it as the pictures show. Tony hit another one out of the park.:eusa_clap
dadcm1.png

dad2fx3.png

That's good lookin' Bart. Your dad sure looks like he likes it. ;)

What are the specs on that one?

Man, you guys are killin' me with these hats! I've been looking at Art's felt samples again this soon!

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
BobC said:
That's good lookin' Bart. Your dad sure looks like he likes it. ;)

What are the specs on that one?

I'll do my best. Beaver Silverbelly. I think it is a full 6" crown or close and I believe the brim is 3" and maybe just a smidge more. Tony tried to get as much height and brim as he could. Tony picked out a beaded band with buckle that really looks sharp and it has a centerdent.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
handlebar bart said:
dadcm1.png

dad2fx3.png
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap Lookin good!! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap I really am liking westerns and western hybrids!

I am looking for a band like that to put on Dee's panama and maybe order her a optimo from bob to make a more reasonable version of the high priced one on montecristihats.

BobC

Very sharp. I'm going to have to add tony to my list. He's turning out some very nice looking hats.

Tom-n-Perris

Vendor
Ok I must admit that after seeing what Tonyb created for Handlebar bart that I wanted one of the fine lids that Tonyb makes. So I pulled the trigger and gave him a call to see if he could make me a custom lid. So here are pictures of the results of Tonyb's fine work. I also have to say that Tony is truly a hatter and a gentlemen and I would like to thank him for producing such a remarkable triple bow navy blue lid for my humble noggin which will display his exceptional fedora with pride.

DSCF2904.jpg

DSCF2905.jpg

DSCF2909.jpg

DSCF2907.jpg

DSCF2910.jpg

Hats are like potato chips, You just can't have one!

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is a sharp looker. Great job on another one Tony. Tom, mine is my daily wear hat and is holding up wonderfully. I think you will be loving this one for a long time. And that triple bow..........:eusa_clap

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
Tom-n-Perris said:
Bart I like this one so much I have been in the house all day and I have been wearing Tonyb hat all day. My wife thinks I have gone over the deep end. :eusa_doh: Bart also thank you for the kind words.

lol lol I did the same thing.lol 6" crown on that one Tom?

Tom's lid was 6 inches tall (or close to it) before its crown got shaped. That's certainly on the tall side of the spectrum (for fedoras, anyway), but once you get used to a hat of that size the shorter ones seem small. Almost all the hats I've made for my own use are that tall, or nearly so. Indeed, I have one here that's "only" about 5 1/2 inches. I think I'll give it to a friend as a Christmas gift. It'll likelier get some use.

It's been a pleasure working with Tom, seeing how patient he has been. I screwed up so many times on this one that I started over again with a different body, and then I screwed up some more. But I'm happy that he's happy with the hat, and that he wanted a triple bow. While I'm certainly a big fan of the "Golden Era" hat styles (tallish, relatively straight-sided crowns), and I think it's great that some hat makers do such a fine job of making dead-on reproductions of them, I still like to incorporate my own variations on those themes. Hence the extravagant bows. I just finished another triple-bowed lid this afternoon, but the bow is on the right side of the body. (Yes, it's a woman's hat.)

It's sorta like those almost ridiculously large tailfins the late-'50s and very early-'60s American-made cars sported. Gaudy? Kinda. I don't think they're the best-looking cars that ever were, but I dig 'em.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Marvelous !

Tom & Tony, That is one terrific fedora. I like everything about it. The color, the ribbon treatment, and the dimensions all came together in a beautiful hat. This one should be in The Best of 2008 thread.

BobC

Beautiful hat Tony and Tom. I love the dark blue with the silver ribbon. And the triple bow is the first I've seen. Very unique and drop dead gorgeous hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana