Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

tonyb.....hatter and a gentleman

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
Incidently Tumwater was the home of Olympia Beer. Now it is the name for the hat company of a really neat guy. Congrats Tony. Oh.....and Tony made a nifty western/fedora hybrid for one of the tower crane operators on my job. Black, bound edge, wide ribbon black with double bow and burgundy accent. Another nice one.:eusa_clap

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
bolthead said:
You did a great job with your new site. Speaking for myself, we're all proud of you. :eusa_clap

Good Luck with your Endeavors. ;)

Yea, Tony, we are proud of you. You're turning out some really nice looking hats. I'm very happy with mine, and I'll be back in line again.

steppenwolph

Familiar Face
I have read it on this forum that one may be better served by not getting a custom made fedora until one has worn hats for some time, and so better know what looks good on you, and what your tastes are in hats. And while this sentiment may hold true in general, when the opportunity to have one of Tony’s excellent fedoras came along, I jumped in with both feet. And was in over my head. This was my first fedora purchase and my first time wearing a fedora, even. So it was difficult to figure what the heck did I want. Enter Tony; he asked questions about my wardrobe, what colors I like to wear, my height and general shape. I knew I wanted something classic, even conservative, for this first fedora. But not boring, something that would be versatile and be a daily wearer. Tony delivered all of this and more. We started with basic classic dimensions: 5 3/4" tall open crown, 2 1/2" brim. The rest was arrived at through email and phone discussions as we narrowed down choices. I will say here that Tony's customer service is second to none, and that he will do anything in his power to see that you are happy with your hat. So here are the pics. The felt is 100% beaver, pounced to a very soft finish, yet retaining its resilience. It is awesome stuff. All vintage ribbon, and of course the signature bow.
The pics of the hat itself are by Tony, the one of me wearing the hat is by my wife, who loves the hat as well.

quarterView.jpg

rearView.jpg

leftSide.jpg

inside.jpg

Note my initials punched into the sweat. Tony had just gotten the device to do that as he was working on my hat.

profileLeft.jpg

buler

I'll Lock Up
steppenwolph said:
I have read it on this forum that one may be better served by not getting a custom made fedora until one has worn hats for some time, and so better know what looks good on you, and what your tastes are in hats. And while this sentiment may hold true in general, when the opportunity to have one of Tony’s excellent fedoras came along, I jumped in with both feet. And was in over my head. This was my first fedora purchase and my first time wearing a fedora, even. So it was difficult to figure what the heck did I want. Enter Tony; he asked questions about my wardrobe, what colors I like to wear, my height and general shape. I knew I wanted something classic, even conservative, for this first fedora. But not boring, something that would be versatile and be a daily wearer. Tony delivered all of this and more. We started with basic classic dimensions: 5 3/4" tall open crown, 2 1/2" brim. The rest was arrived at through email and phone discussions as we narrowed down choices. I will say here that Tony's customer service is second to none, and that he will do anything in his power to see that you are happy with your hat. So here are the pics. The felt is 100% beaver, pounced to a very soft finish, yet retaining its resilience. It is awesome stuff. All vintage ribbon, and of course the signature bow.
The pics of the hat itself are by Tony, the one of me wearing the hat is by my wife, who loves the hat as well.

I can see why your happy with the hat. Turned out great and looks good on you! :eusa_clap

B

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
Really sharp lid. I never get tired of the double bow. And I can see I'm gonna have to head over to Tonys and get my initials put on my two:)

BobC

steppenwolph said:
I will say here that Tony's customer service is second to none, and that he will do anything in his power to see that you are happy with your hat.

profileLeft.jpg

Very nice, Step and Tony. Tony's hats are just classic looking. That one is no exception.

I couldn't agree more with your statement about Tony's service. Early on Tony said to me that if he couldn't make me a hat that I'd like and want to wear every day, he'd rather not make me a hat at all (that may be a paraphrase). The first one he made me is drop dead gorgeous and I do wear it most days, and now he's working on my second one. I've seen his pictures and I know this new one is drop dead gorgeous too. I can't wait to get my fingers on it.

steppenwolph

Familiar Face
Thanks for all the kind words, gents. I really enjoy wearing this hat. I took the kids to the park last week while wearing the new lid. It was a fairly blustery day here. My oldest boy looked over at me and said I was going to lose my hat in all the wind. Well, I just cinched it down a notch on the ol' noggin and that hat didn't budge. It was a very satisfying experience. Now my boy wants a fedora, too.

BobC

My second TonyB Tumwater hat arrived today. It's always a good thing to come home after work to a new hat box waiting there.

I asked Tony to make this hat in the dimensions and style of the Johnny Depp Public Enemy hat. This is what he came up with.

IMG_1145.jpg

IMG_1156.jpg

IMG_1150.jpg

IMG_1154.jpg

The brim is 2 3/8 and the crown is about 5 1/2. The color is midnight blue with a slightly contrasting navy ribbon. It wouldn't fit any better if I'd been sitting there for him to build the hat around my head. Another score, Tony. Thank you. Let's do this again. :D ;)

steppenwolph

Familiar Face
BobC said:
My second TonyB Tumwater hat arrived today. It's always a good thing to come home after work to a new hat box waiting there.

I asked Tony to make this hat in the dimensions and style of the Johnny Depp Public Enemy hat. This is what he came up with.

That is a great looking hat Bob, and it looks good on you. Another classic lid from Tony.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
steppenwolph said:
That is a great looking hat Bob, and it looks good on you. Another classic lid from Tony.

Tremendous hat, Bob - I like that one on you best of any I've seen.

Tony's given me some great advice on this forum, and I was happy to finally get to meet him last weekend - I'm very fortunate to have such a knowledgeable and interesting guy living right down the highway, and I look forward to talking hats with him more in the future.

frussell

One Too Many
My new Tumwater Hat

I'm not sure if he calls it "Dove," or silverbelly, but it's pretty much exactly what I was looking for. 2 1/2" brim, just a hair under 6" crown, nice wide ribbon. Excellent workmanship all around, super communication and lots of photos before and during the process. Tony really kept me in the loop on this one, which I appreciate. A pleasure. Frank. Tony's photo first:
IMGP1761.jpg
[/IMG]
bashed
P4130668.jpg
[/IMG]
on head brim down:
P4130662.jpg
[/IMG]
brim up:
P4170695.jpg
[/IMG]
Always strange to see how stingy my giant head can make even 2 1/2" look.
I'm very happy with how this hat turned out.

frussell

One Too Many
You are correct

The felt is super soft, and the binding and ribbon work are first-rate. Comfortable leather sweat, nice liner. It's a great hat from a great guy. Frank.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points