Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Too Small?? Too big? Just right? or How to wear a hat!

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Your sizing method is sound, and represents the so-called "ideal" seating for a hat. But as with most utopias, it's mostly just a thin illusion rather than a reality. Hat's are not sized perfectly, not all heads (and ears) are the same, and not all wearers like the same things. Many hats in my size are stopped by the top of my head, but would be large enough to fall almost to my ears, so I prefer higher crowns. I also favor a loose hat over a snug hat. It's all very individual.

Best thing to do is decide how you like to wear a hat. How do you think it looks best on you, and feels most comfortable? What's practical for you?

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I like my hats to sit about the width of a finger or maybe a little higher above my ears. That's where they feel snug enough to stay put in a breeze and loose enough to be comfortable. I also like there to be some air space between the top of my head and the top of my hat, though some people seem to think there is plenty of air space between the top of my head and my chin. :eusa_doh: [huh]

Ande1964

Practically Family
It is a matter of personal taste and feel. Just don't wear yours like Jon Hamm does on Mad Men... he often pulls his down in front so the sweat is nearly touching his eyebrows. Looks silly, in my opinion.

Anj

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
Everybody's head is shaped different, so everybody's hat is going to sit different...though I absolutely can't stand to see someone wear their hat touching their ears...

Mine sits just about a quarter inch above my left ear, and about an inch above my right. That's just the natural way I put on a hat, with it cocked to the left.

Dewhurst

Practically Family
I will join the masses in saying that the way a hat should fit is almost entirely subjective. If you liked to put a wire in it that suspended it four inches from the top of your head like a halo, well... there is no one that can tell you that is actually wrong! ;)

So, here is how I like my hats to fit. I like about 1/8 of an inch to 1/4 of an inch of space above each ear for dress hats (sometimes even an 1/2 inch, depending on the look of the hat). I like the hat to sit on the occipital in the back (but not too far up). For the front, can you feel that hard bony "brow" ridge that is above your actual eyebrows? I usually position the typical fedora right above that bony ridge area.

This of course comes with a caveat. It depends on how much of a dip the brim has in the front. If it has a dramatic dip, I tip the hat back further so that my vision is not impeded. If it has a shallow or medium (typical) dip to the brim, I will position it as described above.

Of course, the question is, how do I get this? Make sure your hats are as accurately sized as possible at the position you would like the hat to sit (I recommend using two mirrors and a loved one). Obviously, to the nearest 1/8th of an inch. I like my hats to be a medium snug. Not tight, but not loose. For me that is usually a flat 7 1/4, or a stuffed sweatband 7 3/8.

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If you are one of those who does wear your hat very far up above your ears, how do you get away with it? Does it really hug your head and stay in place if you bend down to pick up that lucky penny?

Thanks - Eric

Maybe you can ask Metropd and Jerekson........[huh] :D

KatintheHat

Suspended
Fatdutchman said:
I absolutely can't stand to see someone wear their hat touching their ears...

Mine sits just about a quarter inch above my left ear, and about an inch above my right. That's just the natural way I put on a hat, with it cocked to the left.

And I bet ... When the wind is blowin hard... You pull that sucker down to ear level. :)

B. F. Socaspi

One of the Regulars
I figured my size by the widest area around my head, which is also the lowest I'd want it to sit. Found out at South Street Hats today that your mileage may vary when it comes to size. Some 7 3/8 were too snug, even though I have a 23" head exactly. The one I settled on fits as well level as it does at a rakish angle. I just push it further up or down my crown as need be.

I would have someone take a cloth tape measure 1/4 or so above your eyebrows and use that as your measurement. If ordering online, call to verify that the one they're shipping isn't shrunken at all, as hats aren't perfect.

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
I find it depends on what hat I am wearing but they all are about in the same area give or take a tad......

As you can see by my avatar I like them a bit above the ear <grin>...

Seriously, like someone else said about one finger width.

eqxslh.jpg

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
KatintheHat said:
And I bet ... When the wind is blowin hard... You pull that sucker down to ear level. :)

If the hat fits properly, you don't have to! Besides, if I pulled any of mine any lower, it would pop out the center crease. Plus, given the shape of my head, I don't think I can pull it any lower!

carter

I'll Lock Up
Man Up

Your hat should sit on your head where, in your opinion, it is most comfortable and looks the best.

Unless this results in problems with hearing, vision, breathing, or eating and drinking, it should be fine.

Wolfwood

A-List Customer
carter said:
Your hat should sit on your head where, in your opinion, it is most comfortable and looks the best.

Unless this results in problems with hearing, vision, breathing, or eating and drinking, it should be fine.
That was definitely the best piece of advice in this thread! :eusa_clap

I also wear my fedora at about one finger width above my ears. The distance seems a bit bigger on the right side, prolly due to the fact that ears don't usually respect symmetry (and are positioned differently on different sides of the heads they decorate).

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Many thanks to you all for your delightful answers!

I have postponed surgury to move my ears and have instead begun work on a contraption to suspend the hat above my head by 3.0 inches on the right and 3.47 inches on the left.

Not only will I be able to eat and drink comfortably, if all goes well I should be able to maintain a rakish appearance and comb my hair without removing my hat.

No really guys ~ I appreciate your input here and throughout the forum ~ E

MattJH

One Too Many
Wow, I forgot about this thread! I created it when I received my first Akubra Federation III in Carbon Grey (which I eventually sold to Carter).

Visigoth

A-List Customer
I found this quotation from lounger gandydancer, and was wondering how y'all feel about it:

"If a hat is properly fitted it should stay on in quite high winds (35mph or so). Most of the folks I see today wear hats about a size larger than would be a proper fit. It should be above the ears (about an inch) when worn normally, but large enough to pull down to the ears and fit very snugly without causing a headache when it is windy."

To me, an inch high seems WAY too high. I'm contemplating this, because a member mentioned to me that my hats seem a bit high (from photos posted), and mine sit generally a finger's width from my ears, when the hat's horizontal (i.e. not tipped back). I was thinking about perhaps moving up a size, but then they'd definitely touch my ears, and still be a tad loose I expect. I mean, I can pull them down to my ears, with effort, but I'm wondering where they should sit normally.

What's the accepted (preferably vintage) wisdom, regarding this?

Akubra Man

One of the Regulars
I have sized up from a 57 to 58 on the advice of a forum member. The new larger size has my newest hats sitting just above my ear top by approximately 1/2 inch. The 58s are comfortable without being overly tight and I can still jam them down on my head in heavier breezes. I have added a couple of cork spacers to snug them up though. The 57s now seem too snug when I put them on and it takes a good 10 minutes before they feel comfortable. I'm between the 57 and 58 but prefer sizing a 58 snugger now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points