Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tootal - The Company History and its products (ties, scarves etc)

Ben Stephens

One of the Regulars
We must be aware that it is an assumption that we have four styles in 1937. The ad is not Tootal, so, could be a profiteering?

Kindest Regards

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Looking at the advert, it does seem odd. The highest prices are much higher than elsewhere at that time. The four types could be popular, standard, special and boys. But the prices are completely wrong.

Maybe we should put this advert to the back of our minds for the moment?

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
For comparison, here are the backs of a 'special' compare to a 'standard', showing the difference in that the 'special' is lined:

IMG_2301.jpg

Also, here is a label for a tie made from a cotton/rayon mix. I only have two with this mixture, everything else is just marked as rayon.

IMG_2299.jpg

This is an unusual one. I have never seen one of these before. It is designed like a Tootal scarf, except narrower, and has a neckband like a Tootal cravat. is anyone else familiar with these?

IMG_2291.jpg

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
And 1940:

1940-april.jpg

1940-august.jpg

1940-december-2.jpg

1940-december.jpg

1940-june.jpg

1940-march.jpg

Being wartime, the adverts stress that the company now offer two particular colours in the 'standard' and 'popular' ranges: Khaki for the military and black for funerals

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
And here's a 1940 Tootal shirts advert. I like the fact that it combines the striped shirt with a check tie:

1940-december-shirts.jpg

And a Xmas 1939 advert for shirts, still offering pre-war prices:

1939-december-shirts.jpg

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Tootal were rather quiet through the war years. It seems they did not advertise widely. However, here are a few examples:

1941-june.jpg

1941-MAY.jpg

1943 (showing prices):
1943-December-prices.jpg

1944:
1944-december.jpg

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Through the late 1940s Tootal ran a series of advertisements emphasising the role the company was playing in exports and the contribution it was making towards the country's balance of payments deficit:

1949-exportadvert.jpg

1948-exportadvert.jpg

1948-exportadvert2.jpg

1947-exportadvertisement.jpg

1947-exportadvertisement4.jpg

1947-exportadvertisement3.jpg

1947-exportadvertisement2.jpg

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Here are a selection of advertisements for Tootal ties from 1949. This appears to be the first time that they really push the fact that the ties are 'Tebelized' - even though they had been using that process for a number of years previously. The adds stress that the range includes: plain shades, dots, stripes, paisleys and checks. I love the tagline - 'Cheer up your old suits with new ties':

1949-december-tebeilized.jpg

1949-december.jpg

1949-november-2.jpg

1949-november-3.jpg

1949-november.jpg

1949-october2.jpg

1949-october.jpg

1949-xmastootal.jpg

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
That' s a nice one. Mid 1940s? I wonder if they were ever as succesful in North America as in the UK. I would guess not considering the quality of ties available in the USA during that period.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
TT, the seller had listed the tie as 20s, but i think that is because it resembles the American tie designs of the 20s that he is used to dealing with. it's probably late 30s to mid 40s.

if any U.S. readers of this thread have any U.S. or Canadian Tootal 'Croydon' (or other) ties please post them.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
There was a 'Croydon' tie sold by (I think) 'Mountain Man' through the classifieds quite recently. There was no mention of Tootal in the listing. I asked the buyer to post pictures of the label when he receives the tie.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Back again with a 'popular quality' tie that I guess comes from the 1930s. It has the earliest looking Tootal label that I own. Cost me all of 99p (+ postage) on Ebay:

IMG_2351.jpg

IMG_2352.jpg

IMG_2353.jpg

Ben Stephens

One of the Regulars
I found a boys Quality tie in my collection of photos. I have given the tie away now, but, at least I took photos for reference

005-1.jpg

004-1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points