Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tootal - The Company History and its products (ties, scarves etc)

DNO

One Too Many
It's up to you, of course, Two Types, but it's interesting to have the scarf and the cravat as well. The boxes can't be common.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
It's true, boxes aren't common - but it is a rather boring box. I have a 1950s tie box which is beautiful. This one is just a box.

DNO

One Too Many
That one looks like it was a box that was intended for stores, not the consumer. Looks like its far too roomy for a single scarf. What sort of vintage is the scarf?

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I would guess early 1960s. You are right about the box being too large for one scarf - I noticed it says 'scarf assortment' on the side.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I am posting these to show the amazing contrasts in certain styles of Tootal ties. These are both from the 'Boys' range. I don't think you can more different than a plain tie and one with a fantastic 1950s space scene:

IMG_2379.jpg

IMG_2378.jpg

IMG_2381.jpg

IMG_2380.jpg

IMG_2384.jpg

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I have noticed that some Tootal scarves are not finished with the tassle ends like these:
IMG_2458.jpg

but are an open tube of fabric with frayed ends, like these:
IMG_2444.jpg

IMG_2462.jpg

with this style, the label is sewn onto the side rather than onto the face:
IMG_2446.jpg

IMG_2465.jpg

Does anyone know when this change occurred? My guess is that it was sometime in the 1960s.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
My latest Tootal ties include this one. It's a 'Red Quality' from the 1950s. The interesting thing is that it is all cotton rather than rayon or a rayon/cotton mix:
IMG_2468.jpg

IMG_2469.jpg

IMG_2470.jpg

This is a 'Standard Quality'. It is incredibly thin and feels very cheap. I am guessing it is from the thirties, mainly because it feels cheaper than some of the other 'standard quality' ties that I own. that said it could be 1940s but cheaply produced due to wartime restrictions. Any ideas?
IMG_2471.jpg

IMG_2472.jpg

IMG_2473.jpg

A 1950s 'Black Quality'. This has quite a distinctive large paisley pattern:
IMG_2447.jpg

IMG_2449.jpg

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Some more pattern details:

This one was also available in brown
IMG_2492.jpg

IMG_2489.jpg

This has a rather curious 'aboriginal art' design. It's the first time I have seen anything like this by Tootal. It seems more like a design they might have produced for curtains or cushion covers rather than a scarf!
IMG_2483.jpg

Here's a close up from a 'Gold Quality' tie. This is from the period (the dates for which have not been established yet) in which they were proud to move away from rayon to polyester. A sad day indeed. You can really feel the difference in the quality.
IMG_2485.jpg

IMG_2487.jpg

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I have also posted these three ties in the 'Show us your ties thread'.

They have restored my faith in the possiblity of a bargain. I bid for them on Ebay and won them for £0.01 each!

Tootal 'Standard Quality' (i.e. pre 1953)

IMG_2527.jpg

IMG_2529.jpg

IMG_2528.jpg

IMG_2524.jpg

IMG_2526.jpg

IMG_2525.jpg

IMG_2522.jpg

IMG_2530.jpg

IMG_2523.jpg

Honestly guys, it must be difficult to get image sizes so huge that it would slow down a modern browser on a modern broadband connection. You surely have to try quite hard to achieve the slowness of my browser on this thread. Please, please (!!) do something to minimise your image sizes! (hint - internet image resolution is awful. there's no need to have super high quality images as they can't be displayed in that quality).

Anyway, here's an interesting pair that I bought from the original buyer. He tells me they were both bought in Wolverhampton, probably about 10 years apart, but he can't remember the actual dates. He would have been a young teen when the first one was bought, apparently middle 40s.

Just based on construction, I would have said the black label tie was older, but the white label "seems" older to me.

TootalLabels1.jpg

TootalLabels2.jpg

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
BK: That will be my file sizes you are referring to. These are actually reduced in resolution (by about 40%) when I crop from the original image. At least that's what the computer tells me i am doing when I save the file. I'll double-check.

As for those labels: The black label does appear to be later. I am basing this on the fact that the style of label is basically the same style as the ones that were used right up to the late 1950s (before the 'Silver' and 'Gold' Quality ties were introduced). I only have a handful of the light coloured labels and they certainly appear very early. Does the label feel stiffer than the black label?

It wouldn't be unlikely for him to have bought both ties at roughly the same time despite the difference in labels. The adverts from the 1930s show shops having thousands of Tootal ties in stock. Some ties must have sat in shops for many years.

P.S. Nice find.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Oops! I've just realised why that label is different. The lighter coloured label is a 'Tootal Croydon'. As far as I know, this was the range produced for North America. HBK bought one recently from the USA which is posted earlier on the thread. And DNO posted some adverts from Canada. It's interesting that the range was also available in shops here.

Yes I thought it strange. These came with a whole bunch of other Tootal's of similar age from the same chap.

re: image size. What program do you use to prepare your images? I use Photoshop. Most of the programs have a "Save for Web and Devices" function which tends to cut the image size to about 10% original.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Yes, I use photoshop. I normally just reduce the resolution size to 'medium' when saving the file. I'll look out for the other option. Cheers.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
As far as I can remember, I have never seen a plain Tootal cravat before. It is certainly my first. OK, it's not very nice, but it was 20p:

tootalgreen.jpg

And here's a close up of another paisley pattern (also a 20p cravat):
tootal-detail.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk