Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tourist cabins, auto and motor courts

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Texaco Porcelain gas station door knob:
rare-vintage-texaco-porcelin-door-knob-w-etched_1_79e846036d90008f228654cf3429194a.jpg

Is now the stick-shift knob.
zofg8x.jpg

Radiator cap by Texaco:
2s85phh.jpg

’46 GM. Inside glove-compartment are old Texaco & Mobil maps.

IMG_8667.jpg

Last edited:
Perhaps labor was cheap when this place was built? Or the original owner was a skilled stonemason looking by a bit of self-expression?

Both are smart possibilities. NYC is loaded with pre-war buildings that have incredibly intricate stonework that, I've been told, were built by an army of cheap, but highly skilled ("in the old country") immigrant labor. Also, they say, no one could afford today to hirer that type of skilled worker in the quantities needed to replicate that work. So that could explain it or, as you also note, it could have just been the whimsy of the owner.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Perhaps labor was cheap when this place was built? Or the original owner was a skilled stonemason looking by a bit of self-expression?
Cities like New York are full of buildings built and decorated by skilled stone masons before the 1930s. Then the modern glass and brick, or glass and aluminum look came in and the stone masons were out of work. Then of course large building projects ground to a halt in the depression.

It was not unknown for those who could afford it, to do building projects like that to give employment to local labor during the depression.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto